Author Topic: NY Style Capocolla, Pepperoni, Onion....WITH 00 Flour  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Jackitup

NY Style Capocolla, Pepperoni, Onion....WITH 00 Flour
« on: September 06, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »
I figured I should put this here on the NY style even though I used 00 flour. Warden Rosie put this one in the upper tier of pies I've made!! To start I made an emergency dough using a 57% hydration of Steve's Quick and Easy NY dough. Fridge for 3 hours, room temp for 2. Then I made a shitake mushroom duxelle to mix in the sauce to give it a bit more earthy flavor, liked that a lot. Then hand stretched, a bit of olive oil, sauce, I add Parmesan to the top of the sauce so it doesn't get rubbery and helps bind the sauce a bit, onions, capocolla ham in thin slices, 50/50 mozz and prov and then finished with pepperoni. The flavor of the capocolla ham with the pepperoni gave what I think Craig talks about with his chili oil. Taste wise this pie was outstanding and the texture of the crust was VERY good, will work on a more fermented one as this was kind of a sudden brainstorm. Baked on the stone at 550 for maybe 5 minutes tops. Stone IR temps were 580 to 550 at different parts of the stone. Tried the broiler thingy and the temps actually dropped so went back to 550 with "convection roast" mode. Crust may change some if planned more ahead of time but for a quicky this is a good one with the Supremo Italiano 00 flour and the flavor profile overall.....a KEEPER for sure. Will be keeping the capocolla ham in the freezer as a stock item all the time now, not to mention makes great sammies too!! :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline atom

Re: NY Style Capocolla, Pepperoni, Onion....WITH 00 Flour
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »
Is this caputo? That apparently is a bad ass stone because you got better browning then just about anyone with 00 flour in a basic home oven.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »
It's Supremo Italiano brand of 00 flour sold at Restaurant Depot. I haven't used the Caputo 00 myself so I don't know how it would compare but others here have liked it in their WFO's.
Jon

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
Very cool looking pies, Jon. What was the dough weight and pizza diameter?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
If I remember right it was about 560 gram dough ball and the pie was between 16-17". It had almost a dense, ciabatta like texture but not what I would call tough. Very enjoyable.

jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:53:49 PM »
A change to the NY style with Supremo Italiano 00 flour as follows:

00 NY Stylepizza

53% hydration formula (thoughts, tried 57% hydration from before and with the change to using the poolish method for 12 hrs it was VERY sticky so I dropped to 53% using the poolish/pre-ferment, seems about right, much easier to handle with plenty of stickiness left, surprisingly not TOO dry)

Indoor Oven Using Poolish

28 oz SI 00 flour,                  793.8 grams

14.8 H20,                            419.58grams

2 t salt or prep seasoning,      5 grams

1/2 t IDY                             2 grams

Makes 3,                             406 gram balls.

At least 12 hours prior add all water, yeast and 1/3 flour to make a poolish and whisk and let set covered in warm place over nite. Then in KA add poolish and part of the flour and use paddle on high til dough gets very glutinous and stringy. Add salt to remaining flour and use dough hook on 2 till forms ball and cleans sides. Hand knead on oiled surface for a couple minutes, divide into 3 balls, shape and into oiled containers and rest at room temp for 30 minutes and into fridge for 3 hour them room temp again for 2-3 hours. Oven was pre-heated to 550, stone temps again ranged from 580-545 or so and pies were launched from peel to stone for about 5 minute bake times. shown are garlic butter and cheese, blend of mozz, prov, and mex melting cheese with a bit of feta. Other pies were same blend of cheese, Margherita, and capocolla, pepperoni, red onion, gr pepper and sauce had a mushroom duxelle added again. Dough was VERY, VERY good and at 53% hydration was stil VERY moist. Outstanding NY Style using 00 flour. Very surprising how low a hydration to get the 00 flour to work this way!!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:57:33 PM »
Crap, everyone was eating so fast and me getting the pies in and out forgot to take pics of the Margherita pie :o......it was very good!!!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:20 AM »
That pepperoni pie sure looks awesome.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 12:16:46 AM »
I found it amazing that using a poolish method I was able to drop the hydration to 53% and still have a dough that was that wet and moist and so easy to handle and stretch! Very effortless and fun to work with. I'm going to have to start making a lot more bread to use up my Kyrol HG flour :P

Jon

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
Nice job!

How do you like working with the SI flour compared to the Caputo pizzeria flour?

I am using Caputo now for my Neapolitan style pizza and wanted to try the Supremo Italiano to see how it compares.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Paolo

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
I haven't tried the Caputo so no comparison, but so far I like it