Author Topic: Pizza by Jamie  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Kostakis1985

Pizza by Jamie
« on: September 07, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
I created this thread so I could have a spot to post pictures of my pizza making .

This dough was made 5 days ago, the bran was oxidizing causing those spots on my dough it was a great tasting pizza and the first time Ive ever had to pull a pizza from the oven because of too fast top browning, Thats a good problem to have in my opinion. Maybe it was because I used a different method to make my dough.
 I added the water then salt dissolved it then flour yeast and kneaded it the usual way except I stretched it then kneaded it by doing this I think I mixed the dough better and the water was more evenly distributed throughout the dough.
Jamie

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza by Jamie
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:36:49 AM »
Great looking pizza Jamie.  What are the toppings, is that spinach?

Offline sajata

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:00:29 AM »
have to admit, i would  eat it  :D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:33:25 AM »
Jamie,

That is a very professional looking pizza, which I suppose is should be given that you are a professional.

Can you tell us what dough formulation you used, including the type and brand of flour? Also, did you use any oil or sugar and did you add the IDY separately later in the dough making process or was it first mixed in with the flour?

Peter

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »
Thanks everyone,
 The toppings were
       Spinach under the cheese
       Tomatoes diced
       Feta cheese
       Oregano
       Dill
  The cheese I used was Hannaford brand whole milk mozzarella, It melts to a translucent white or just burns most of the time Im thinking I should get a 5lb block of a restaurant quality mozzarella and just keep it in the freezer bc this cheese wasn't the best.
 My dough formula:
  Spring king flour
  59% hydration ( it was very humid when I made the dough and that seemed to raise the hydration)
  2% salt
  2%oil
 .2% ADY
 Really the only difference was my kneading, before when I made dough, when I was just about finished kneading if I stretched the dough the center of the dough ball had all this extra moisture, so I kind of stretched and worked the dough after about 3 minutes of hand kneading this time. The dough just felt better more uniform.
 I have another dough ball made last night in the fridge this time I upped the ADY to .3% and included 2% sugar.
 My girlfriend took 4 slices of the spinach pizza to work with her. She knows how sensitive I am to people trying my pizza, So I get this txt msg from her saying one of my coworkers tried your pizza and she loved it! she ate cold too! I was a little mad but it made me feel good :)

Jamie

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Great looking pie Jamie.  What temp did u bake at and for how long?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
Hi Nate,
  This pie was baked at 530.
  Im not really into the whole bake time theory bc Ive had awesome pies in the 4-7 minute range so I don't time the bakes its done when the bottom has a nice color and I hope the top matches it sometimes ill throw a screen under the pizza just to give the top more time, but I don't like starting with a screen it does something to the under crust I don't like and makes those assembly line patterns across it.
  But if I were to guess I would say it was 5:30-6:00 minutes.
  Thanks for the compliment!
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »
I made this pizza tonight, My best margherita pizza yet. My dough was a little difficult to work with because the lid wasn't completely closed air got in and formed a dried out ring around the dough that was very elastic. The taste of the crust didn't suffer though.
 Sauce was: full red mixed with 7/11
                  oregano
                  salt
                  basil
                  blk pepper
toppings: romano, fresh mozzarella(caputo),fresh basil, olive oil.
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:42:17 PM »
Oh yeah I cheated I used a blow torch for some top char :-\
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 12:59:56 AM »
This is the same dough as my margherita pizza. Thankfully its the last dough ball because this was a pain to stretch it kept feeling like it was going to rip.
 I used restaurant quality mozzarella jacobo brand it melts better but not any increase on taste I wish I could get Grande I want to give it another shot, bc first time I tried it I thought it was not that great but then I go to a pizza place that uses it and that familiar great pizza taste stands out and its Grande mozzarella you have to get a lot of things right for Grande to shine, thickness of the crust, the amount of cheese you use, and I think the salt in the sauce really brings out Grandes full potential. Just my thoughts.

Heres some pics 1/2 Pepperoni
                        1/2 Ham,Black Olive,Green Pepper
Jamie

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »
Was the dough you found difficult to stretch an aged dough? 

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
This dough was 4 days old it as hard to strcth because the lid wasnt on the container properly for a long time there was a dried out skin around the edge of the doughball
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
I made a pizza tonight, 3 day fermented dough it was very good. However I can't seem to get those big gluten bubbles in the crust.

Pizza had crimini mushrooms (fantastic) feta and grilled chicken.
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
I read a post where someone was raving about Trader Joes whole milk mozzarella. So today I went and got a block of it bc they said it gives Grande a run for its money.

Here is the result: great melting,great tasting, not quite Grandes deep flavor but much closer then any other cheese Ive used.
Jamie

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
My brother and I took advantage of an opportunity presented to us to run a local pizza shop with an incentive to buy it down the road. We started business in the middle of October and we've been working 90+ hours a week since then. Buisness has been growing through word of mouth and we just had the best week so far!! We are still aways from our goal but we are headed in the right direction.
  We are responsible for absolutely everything and its very stressful at times because its just my brother a driver and myself and we've been slammed with orders all at once and do a great job keeping up. Here are some of the pizzas we've produced over the past few days I wanted to post them on the forum :D
Jamie

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
Congrats!  Pies are looking really good.

chau

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:46 AM »
Jamie,

Congrats to your brother and you for running a local pizza shop!  The pies look tasty.  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
They look real good, good luck with the restaurant.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »
Jamie,

Very nice, and good luck to you and your brother with the business.

Are you using the store's formulation and methods or are you using ideas of your own, or possibly a combination of both?

Peter

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:44 AM »
Wow - I wish I had this good a take-out pizza close to me. Congrats on the business.

John