Author Topic: Basic Caputo 00 Same-Day Dough Recipe Using Commercial Yeast  (Read 25898 times)

Offline foodblogger

• Favorite Chain Pizza - Gino's East
    • My Food Blog
Re: Basic Caputo 00 Same-Day Dough Recipe Using Commercial Yeast
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2006, 08:30:46 AM »
Bag Vs. Bowl Results.

Photo 1 - whole pizza from bowl.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2006, 08:31:19 AM »
Photo 2 -
Slice of bowl pizza

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2006, 08:31:55 AM »
Photo 3 -
Whole bag pizza

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2006, 08:32:34 AM »
Photo 4
Slice of bag pizza

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2006, 08:39:02 AM »
The verdict - no real difference in the baked pizza.

Observations:
1)  The dough ball from the bag did smell more fermented but when baked, both pizzas had a beer taste and one wasn't any better or worse than the other.
2)  After I finished kneading the dough I again noticed that the Caputo dough balls at 60.6% felt as wet as my bread flour doughs at 66%.  In fact they felt almost identical in terms of the tackyness of the dough.
3)  The crust of both pizzas was exactly like it was the last time I made this formula.  Large, varied voids in the rim with a crispness on the bottom but still easily foldable.  Neither pie was chewy.
4)  Both dough balls wanted to spring back during the stretching process, the same as the last time I made this formula.  Resting for a while between steps is necessary at least in my hands. 
5)  I tried a new kind of tomatoes which I will avoid in the future.  I went to Whole Paycheck looking for Italbrand DOP tomatoes and instead found Cento 'San Marzano Variety' tomatoes.  Although the tomatoes were delicious, the sauce was too runny when baked.  Those tomatoes would be perfect for marinara as the flavor was delicious.  Not for pizza without some draining.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2006, 08:48:29 AM »
foodblogger,

Thank you for posting your results. The pizzas look great.

I assume that you punched down or reshaped the dough at some point during the 8 hours and that you used the same bake protocol you last used. Is that correct? I assume also that you used 14" as the pizza size.

Peter

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2006, 09:27:48 AM »
Everything was exactly the same.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2006, 11:21:45 AM »
I made a batch of dough according to the above formula.  I did an 8 hour room temperature rise, using the same processing steps mentioned above to make the dough.  I made enough dough for 2 pizzas of the 14 inch size with tf 0.1.  I let the dough rise in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.  It took 4 and 1/2 hours to double.  At that time I divided the dough into two equal balls and let each ball rise in its own ziplock bag.  I baked one pizza on a stone and the other on a screen on the middle rack.  Below is a picture of the stone baked pizza.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2006, 11:22:31 AM »
Here is a photo of the bottom of the stone baked pie.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »
Here is a photo of the nice large air bubbles in the rim of the stone baked pie.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Here is a photo of the pie baked on the baking screen.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2006, 11:24:44 AM »
Here is a photo of the bottom of the pie baked on a screen.

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2006, 11:29:29 AM »
Observations:
1)  The pies were drastically different even though they came from the same batch of dough.  The stone baked pie had much better oven spring and cooked faster.  It also had large and various sized bubbles in the rim, which the screen baked pizza lacked.
2)  I have been having a consistant problem with the Caputo based doughs - the center of the skins is much much thinner than the edges and leads to a crust in the center that is too thin for my tastes.  I have never had this problem with bread flour based doughs and I am not sure how to avoid it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2006, 11:46:20 AM »
foodblogger,

You might try using a slightly larger thickness factor or a smaller pizza size. The only other thing I can think of offhand is to work the dough more toward the edges to avoid a thin center. Was there a textural difference in the center of the crust--like a crackery texture?

How did the pizzas taste and what were the main differences between the stone baked and screen baked pizzas?

Peter

Offline foodblogger

• My Food Blog
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2006, 04:58:11 PM »
You might try using a slightly larger thickness factor or a smaller pizza size.

I think I might try a pizza or two that is a little thicker.

The only other thing I can think of offhand is to work the dough more toward the edges to avoid a thin center.

That is what I do but it seems like when the dough stretches it wants to stretch more in the center than on the outside.  I'll have to work more on my technique.

Was there a textural difference in the center of the crust--like a crackery texture?

It was cracker crisp and paper thin.  It was easily overwhelmed by the toppings.

How did the pizzas taste and what were the main differences between the stone baked and screen baked pizzas?

Both pizzas tasted similar to what i have been getting from this formulation and a same day rise.  There was a nice fermentation taste - a little like beer.  The main difference I noticed was that the crust baked on the stone had large and different sized voids in the rim, while the bubbles in the screen baked crust were smaller and more uniform in size.

Don't get me wrong.  Despite the shortcomings both pizzas were excellent and got gobbled immediately. 

Offline Wallman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2006, 09:51:21 PM »
Here's my stab at a Pizza Margherita using Caputo 00, commercial yeast and a same day rise.  I followed Pete's recipe at the top of this thread, except I used a bit more IDY, mixed using a food processor, and only let the dough rise for 7 hours at room temperature.  The sauce was made with of 6-1 tomatoes, Penzy's pizza spices, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and a bit of sugar.  Other topping were, of course, fresh Cello mozzarella, basil and tomatoes. The pizzas, each about 12 inches in diameter, were baked on tiles in an 550 oven (preheated for an hour).

The dough wasn't too hard to work with after 7 hours, I did use a fair amount of bench flour since the dough was pretty wet.  The first picture below shows the dough balls (plus a Steve's Quick & Easy NY ball) after 6.5 hours or so.

The 2nd picture is the first pizza. This skin was easier to shape, but I think I cooked it a bit too long (in the oven for about 11 minutes) as the crust was pretty crisp.  My oven had been open and closed a few times since I'd made the NY style pie earlier so I didn't get a lot of oven spring. 

The 3rd picture is the second pizza.  This was was harder to shape, the dough was a bit dry by the time I shaped it (it had been sitting out, uncovered from about 90 minutes).  The oven had heated up some more before putting this pie in and it cooked for about 9 minutes.  This pie had better oven spring than the first one.

Both the pizzas tasted good.  They had a slightly lighter flavor than the NY style pizza I also made tonight (see: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2790.20.html, reply 26.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Offline Misheil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2006, 12:33:41 PM »
Is there a formula that translates ADY to fresh yeast?  All of the posts have used either fresh yeast or IDY x 3 formula.

Thanks,
Marie

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »
Marie,

To convert IDY to fresh yeast, multiply the weight of the IDY by 3 to get the corresponding weight of fresh yeast; to convert ADY to fresh yeast, multiply the weight of the ADY by 2. These are rough conversions although they are fine to use. If you want closer values, you can try using the Yeast Conversions link in the left menu of this link: http://www.theartisan.net/MainCommFrm.htm.

To keep the fresh yeast quantity in perspective, one of those little cubes of Fleischmann's compressed (fresh) yeast sold in some supermarkets weighs 0.6 ounces (17 g.). I use whatever conversion weight I arrive at as discussed above in relation to the 0.6 ounce figure to determine how much of the cube to use or how many cubes I will need if the calculated weight exceeds 0.6 ounces.

Peter