Author Topic: Need help with my standard dough recipe:  (Read 615 times)

Offline Billy Boy

Need help with my standard dough recipe:
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
1/2 cup KAAPF
1 1/2 cups Antimo Caputo 00
1 cups cold water
1 tsp Dry Active Yeast (Red Star)
1/2 TBSP Kosher Salt
2 TBSP EVOO

Mixed for 4 minutes on high and rested in fridge for 1-3 days.

Crust comes out a trifle cardboardy.
Can anybody help me here.
I had originally been using all KAAPF and started swapping out for various percentages of the AC 00 over the last year or so.
I have a 36" DCS with a stone from a professional pizza oven that I had cut to fit the bottom rack with a 1" reveal around all sides. With that and my Jumbo Super Peel I can turn out 16" pies beautifully  at 450 (convection).
BB
???

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: Need help with my standard dough recipe:
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:41:58 PM »
1/2 cup KAAPF
1 1/2 cups Antimo Caputo 00
1 cups cold water
1 tsp Dry Active Yeast (Red Star)
1/2 TBSP Kosher Salt
2 TBSP EVOO

Mixed for 4 minutes on high and rested in fridge for 1-3 days.

Crust comes out a trifle cardboardy.
Can anybody help me here.
I had originally been using all KAAPF and started swapping out for various percentages of the AC 00 over the last year or so.
I have a 36" DCS with a stone from a professional pizza oven that I had cut to fit the bottom rack with a 1" reveal around all sides. With that and my Jumbo Super Peel I can turn out 16" pies beautifully  at 450 (convection).
BB
???

The photo of the pizza looks real good!  But if you are unhappy with the dough recipe, here are my thoughts:
The first thing I would do if I were you is to buy a scale and start weighing your ingredients.  The next thing I would I is to cut down the yeast significantly. I don't see any reason why you need so much yeast if you are leaving it in the fridge for up to three days.  For two cups of flour a half teaspoon of dry yeast should be enough. Having said that, I don't think that too much yeast should result in a cardboardy crust.  It should result in a too yeasty flavored dough. 

You might want to try another recipe to see if you find what you are looking for.  I like this one a lot:

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=8

Also, if you can get your oven to go hotter than 450 then I would do so. The hotter the better.  I would think the DCS should go up to 550 anyway, correct? 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:44:37 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline Billy Boy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:38:56 PM »
Dear B52's fan!
I truly appreciate the suggestion and especially the link. My problem is that my Taylor scale will not, I daresay, register .004 OZ. of IDY!
Any idea what that translates to in volume?
I will gladly try this recipe this week.
Thanks!
BB

???

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
My suggestion is for you to try a pie with no Caputo 00.  At 450 (or even 550) it is more than likely to take a long time to get brown and will dry out, etc.  My guess is that is a significant contributor to the cardboard like pizza.  Many here on this forum will tell you not to use that flour unless you are using temperature of 800 and beyond.

- Mitch

Offline Billy Boy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 03:32:28 PM »
Thanks MitchJG!
I had been using soley KABF mixed with KAAPF for years and I think I'll go back thereto this week.
BB

^^^

Offline Adrian

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
I truly appreciate the suggestion and especially the link. My problem is that my Taylor scale will not, I daresay, register .004 OZ. of IDY!

There are 2 ways you can get to this amount, that I used.

1st: If you have a measurement tool for "point of a knife" you can count, let's say 100 of those and see what the result on your scale is. Then take the portion (number of units) that corresponds 0.113g.

2nd: measure more of the yeast and dilute it in a cocktail shaker or similar. After the diluting time, shake or mix it well and take the portion that corresponds 0.113g.

3rd: A combination of both. See, how many spoons is 113g, then take 1% of the number of spoons, dilute it and take 10% of the water.

Adrian

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:01:31 PM »
I do cured meats at my place, and to measure my cure to exact small amounts, I use a small digital reloading scale  http://www.hornady.com/store/GS-1500-Grain-Electronic-Scale
I picked it up a a sporting goods store that handled ammunition reloading components.

This'll help get you where you need to be for such small amounts that you need to weigh.
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline Billy Boy

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 04:16:29 AM »
GotRocks,
Great idea!
I have my reloading scale on my workbench. That should work fine.
BB

;)