Author Topic: additives  (Read 966 times)

Offline oki

additives
« on: September 08, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »

Hi I'm new here my name is Oki

« on: Today at 09:02:10 AM »

QuoteModify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been making pizza for a couple of years now, I'm in the quest for the perfect crust, to me Neapolitan. i have been able to read what some members have posted and I believe that this forum would be of a lot of help on my quest I would like to thank everybody in advance for your help, I have been using Caputo flour red renforsato 00 and using dry active yeast with a 75% hydration  salt and no oil ,with the intention of making a crispy pie I do this without a starter , so that means that I need to add a little flavor to the crust with out losing any crispiness, so what can I use to add more flavor to the crust with out losing crispiness ,  also what kind of additives I can use to replace the amount of yeast I use and retain volume and crispiness? I use one Tbst of yeast for 18oz of flour. Again thanks in advance for any advise Oki

:pizza:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:37:19 AM by oki »

buceriasdon

Re: additives
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »
Message deleted, see followup message.
Don
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:31:26 PM by buceriasdon »

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »
 oki has notified me that the part of her message about using no salt was a typing error so oki does use salt. oki, could you tell us your recipe and fermentation method and time? Perhaps you need to extend your fermentation time to get better flavor. Additives in the general sense of the term don't go with Neapolitan style and 00 flour.
Don

Offline oki

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 12:46:26 PM »
Hi Don thanks for replying . The formula is 18oz of flour, 15oz of water, 11/4 tsp of salt 1tbsp of yeast, mix about 3/4 of flour and all other ingredients in a magic mill for about 2 min then wait 20 to 30 minutes then mix for 4 to 5 min add the remaining flour and mix for another 4 to 5 min, then rest for 45min it will more than double in size turn oven on at 550 (takes about 30 min) during that time shape the dough let rise again when oven is hot make the pie
Oki
Ps.- It is not that the pie taste bad I was thinking is there anything else I can do to make it even better Thanks

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
Oki, That's is what we refer to here as an emergency dough or same day dough. You might want to read up on extended ferment times, two to three days as a flavor enhancer for dough. Also I noticed your hydration rate to be quite high, 83% up in the ciabatta range, not that it's wrong just high.
Don

Offline oki

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »
Hi Don
                 The reason i use a high hydration is to compensate with the fact that my oven only goes to 550 and not 900, the result is a french bread crispy pie with plenty of air pockets in 9 minutes i have a very large cast iron skilet that i use inverted ( better results than with a stone), I have tried using a starter but you have to babysit an starter or have someone to feed it when you are away,but definitely helps,also so far my best results are with a Poolish with 2 to 8 hours fermentation, it seems that you cant buy flavor on a bottle uh. Thanks for showing interest in my project Oscar

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
Oscar, you are baking the pizza for 9 minutes at 500?  Caputo red bag?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline oki

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »
That is correct Jet_deck 550 caputo red  renforsato has more gluten than plain red
Oscar

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:12:22 PM »
Oscar, can you post a picture of the finished pizza?

I have never had a crispy Neapolitan pizza.  My understanding is that the red bag Caputo is blended for a longer fermentation time than the blue bag Caputo.

I think a picture is worth a thousand words here, let us see what you like, and we (forum) can address flavor issues after that.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline oki

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
My search is for a pie that looks like a neapolitan pizza but has a crust like french bread im by no means a purist im  in search for what i like to chew ,im aware that to get good flavor you need a good starter or whatever other foms of fermentation you came up with,as far as your  question i still dont understand it i use not regular caputo red but red caputo renforsato 00 which has more gluten i dont know what difference makes if i bake at 900 or 550 if i get the results im looking for, answer my question and i will be glad to take a picture the next time i bake a pie and post it Oscar

pizzapan