Author Topic: Pita Stromboli with a NY style skin  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Bob1

Pita Stromboli with a NY style skin
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:57:23 PM »
First of all I must apologize about the cell phone pics.  The quality is very bad.  My wife and I really enjoy Pita type Stromboli or what ever the classification would be.  When prepared correctly the skin is paper thin and very crisp, even more so on reheats.  I cook a NY skin at 500 deg for 4 minutes and then remove it.  I insert a knife and slice around the rim which is very easy.  The stuffing is Kale, onions, green pepper, and cheese with a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  I microwave all the veggies for 2 minutes on high.  After I put the lid on I do a brush of EVOO with thyme and a dash of Pecorino.  I then throw it back in for about 4 or 5 minutes.  Sometimes I will put the broiler on for the last minute if it is not browning enough.  Really, a must try.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pita Stromboli with a NY style skin
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
Bob,

I believe what you made is called a panino. I used to make them the same way you did, as I described the process at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1385.msg12534.html#msg12534.

Peter

Offline Bob1

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 05:01:15 PM »
Pete,
I never would have thought.  I think Panino is singular for Panini.  Maybe some of the Italian speaking members can verify that.  When I think of Panini I see a large roll more like a hoagie or big chunk of Ciabatta.  Anyway they are really good and so easy to make.  Hard to believe that your post is 7 years old.  I could really see someone exploiting this for an utra thin crust.  I am using a .1 TF at 14" but probably stretching closer to 16".   I would assume that by adjusting the TF you could really vary the thickness and it would always divide by two with in reason.  At some point you would not get the 100% balloon effect.  I also try to par bake for the balloon part only, and then brown more on the second cook. 

parallei

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »
Typically,

panino = sandwich
panini = sandwiches

Your creations look quite tasty Bob. :chef:

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »
Typically,

panino = sandwich
panini = sandwiches

Your creations look quite tasty Bob. :chef:

Than you, one of these days I have learn the language for when I eventually get over there.

pizzapan