Author Topic: Two new Brooklyn Spots - Emily in Clinton Hill and Wheated in Ditmas Park  (Read 755 times)

Offline misterschu

Visited two new Pizza restaurants in Brooklyn over the past couple weeks.  First was Emily (pizzalovesemily.com) in Clinton Hill on a very rainy night. The restaurant is only about a 25 minute walk from me, but I took a cab because of the rain. The pizza was great. Cooked in a WFO, it had a bit thicker crust than some of the other neapolitan style places, but I prefer a doughier crust.  My gf and I ordered a pie each, I ordered a red pie, the Colony (sauce, mozz, pepperoni, pickled chilis and honey), she ordered a white pie, the Angie (dried fruit compote, blue cheese, cured ham, arugula).

Both pies came out perfectly done, great leoparding on the cornice and undercarriage. Our waitress, the owner's sister-in-law who works the oven some days, said the pies cook in about two minutes. Though I didn't get a chance to time it myself, this timing seemed accurate, given the tenderness of the crust, the contrast of the leoparding and the great oven spring on the cornice.

The sauce on the Colony was lightly salted, and naturally sweet.  The cheese was fior di latte, so the flavor was rather mild though it seemed to have a nicer melt and mouthfeel than some fresh mozz I have used. The Angie was the first neapolitan pie I've had with blue cheese and when I cooked the following weekend I made a version of it myself because of how much I liked theirs.

Last weekend I visited Wheated in Ditmas Park. My gf recently moved a 10 minute walk away, so it seemed a good time to try it. We went for a late dinner on Friday. I was able to see the oven here and was timing the pies at around 4 minutes. The oven was a two-deck electric model, though I didn't note the brand, running at 360C (680F). We ordered two pies, a Coney Island 2.0 (sauce, sliced chorizo, pineapple, aged and fresh mozz, parmesan). All their pies with mozzarella use aged and fresh mozzarella. I found this a nice solution to the problems fresh mozzarella can have of being bland and becoming gummy when it melts. The combination added flavor and melted well. I wonder if it's also a solution to some problem of the pie cooking for 4 minutes. The second pie was the special for the night, shaved brussels sprouts, cheese (I don't remember if it was taleggio or fontina), and lemon juice, I think.

The white pie was a bit on the bland side, though I might be willing to call it subtle. The red pie was great, pineapple on pizza is something I love. It was my go to topping for 3 am domino's orders in college (5-5-5 deal). I hadn't had it as a topping outside of a sliceria, or a domino's order, before.  The pies were NY-apolitan, long bakes giving them a crispy crust, both bottom and cornice. No real leoparding due to the low temperature, though the crust took on a nice dark brown/golden color.

They bring a shaker of crushed thai chilis with the pies, which is a nice touch. Thai chilis are lightly sweet, and very spicy, and added a nice amount of heat to both pies.

We also ordered a few cocktails, which were delicious.

All in all, both places are worth a visit for great pizza.

As a side note, I ate at Franny's in between. Great pizza, though I felt their application of buffalo mozzarella was a bit on the... cheap side.  For $17, I'd expect more than 7 small spots of cheese, covering not even close to half of the pie.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Two new Brooklyn Spots - Emily in Clinton Hill and Wheated in Ditmas Park
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:59:53 PM »
I got to meet and spend some time with David (owner of Wheated) a couple years ago. He certainly has passion for the pie. It's on my short list of places to visit next time I'm in town. Though, if he's putting pineapple on pizza, I might have to rethink my opinion of him...  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Two new Brooklyn Spots - Emily in Clinton Hill and Wheated in Ditmas Park
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
I got to meet and spend some time with David (owner of Wheated) a couple years ago. He certainly has passion for the pie. It's on my short list of places to visit next time I'm in town. Though, if he's putting pineapple on pizza, I might have to rethink my opinion of him...  :-D

David is awesome. He answered all my questions and let me watch him for a few hours during a busy service. The pizzas I had were really good. I killed the left overs when I got back to the hotel room. I'd definitely recommend Wheated.

Offline lungieboy

• Give me pizza or give me death!
I took a pizza making class at Emily's....worked with the owner on his Pavesi oven.....very great night. About 5 in the class. We each made a pizza and had draft beers and wine....$125 per person. Well worth it