Author Topic: Pizza Brain Museum and Pizzeria Philadelphia  (Read 11889 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Pizza Brain Museum and Pizzeria Philadelphia
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
My daughter and I took a road trip to Philadelphia to go to the 9th St. Italian Market and also to visit the Pizza Brain Museum since it was supposed to be such a nice day.  We left this morning about 9:00 am so we could look around 9th St. Italian Market first for awhile.  I knew Pizza Brain wouldnít be serving pizzas until 5:00 pm, and knew we wouldnít be staying in Phila. that long, but Pizza Brain was supposed to open the Pizza Brain Museum at 11:00 am.  When we got to the Pizza Brain Museum it had a sign on the door that said, Contrary to our posted hours below we will wonít be opening until 5:00 pm today, sorry for any inconvenience.  I thought darn, but looked inside.  I saw one man inside and decided to just take a few pictures outside.  A lady walked inside the Pizza Brain Museum and I then decided to wave my hand to see if I could take a few pictures inside.  The gentlemen were kind enough to let me take some pictures inside and even turned on the lights for me.  The gentlemen told me I could come back at 5:00 pm when they opened and I told them I wouldnít be in Phila. for that long.  

I talked to the man behind the pizza prep area and he was getting ingredients ready for the pizzas.  I then talked to all of the guys that were inside Pizza Brain and they all sure a great bunch of guys and seemed like a lot of fun.  They are aware of pizzamaking.com and said this forum helped them with their pizzas.  They said Scott Weiner was there for Pizza Brain opening night.  

I didnít get a lot of pictures because I didnít want to bother them too much.  I thought what I saw was really interesting.  I am sorry, but some of my pictures are blurry.  I thought it was interesting how the floor had some cut-outs with pizza related things inside the cases in the floor.   8)

I wished the guys at Pizza Brain the best of luck and said I will come back again when they are in full operation.  I canít wait to try their pizzas.  ;D

The pictures start with when we left 9th St. Italian Market.  It only took about 15-20 minutes to get to Pizza Brain from the 9th St. Italian Market.

I also took some pictures when leaving Philadelphia of the buildings and of one glass building.  The glass building looked so neat with the clouds reflecting in the glass.  I am not sure of what the glass building is called.

Norma
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:19:06 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Pizza Brain Museum and Pizzeria Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 05:47:34 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 05:48:40 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 05:49:36 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 05:58:13 PM »
Norma

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
Hurray! Thanks for the photos, Norma! I like the stuff in the floor! super cool stuff! too bad you didn't get to be a customer and eat some of their pizza. I wonder why the hours were adjusted?

I'm super curious about the pizza! I'll just have to go there some time. Hopefully they'll be open if I drive 8 hrs to check it out!?!

Thanks Norma! Our roving pizza reporter!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »
Hurray! Thanks for the photos, Norma! I like the stuff in the floor! super cool stuff! too bad you didn't get to be a customer and eat some of their pizza. I wonder why the hours were adjusted?

I'm super curious about the pizza! I'll just have to go there some time. Hopefully they'll be open if I drive 8 hrs to check it out!?!

Thanks Norma! Our roving pizza reporter!

weemis,

The embedded things in the floor are super neat!  ;D It looks like Barbie and Ken were having a pizza party in the one.  Pizza Brain also has things embedded in front of where I was talking to that man, but that picture was too burry to post. 

I would have loved to tried a slice of Pizza Brains pizza, but knew we werenít going to be in Philly until 5:00 pm.  My daughter isnít a pizza nut like I am, but at least she is willing to drive me to places I want to go.  I saw on facebook last evening Pizza Brain posted this.  ďso, fall is coming. tonight we'll be rolling out a specialty pizza in honor of that. sweet potato, honey goat cheese & brown sugar pizza aka the 'charlie mayfer'ď  I wonder how that pizza tasted.  A few commenterís said it was great. 

The man behind the pizza counter told me they are just trying to iron things out before they will be fully operational.  They also have to add a lot of Memorabilia, so I guess it will all take time. I donít know if Pizza Brain is going to set-up tables in that side room or put more Memorabilia in that room.  I found it interesting that the man behind the counter told me he knew of Peter and how he helps everyone here on the forum.  I donít know if he is a registered member of the forum or not.  I told him my screen name here on the forum.  I donít even know all the names of the guys in the photos I took.  I was just happy that they left me inside to take some pictures and talk to them a little.   : :P

If you are going to drive 8 hrs. you could check when they are opened all the time.  There are also many other things to do nearby in Phila.  Pizza Brain is located right near Pennís Landing.   http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Pennsylvania/Philadelphia-860659/Things_To_Do-Philadelphia-Penns_Landing-BR-1.html We saw some neat ships there. 

The parking near Pizza Brain is like in most areas of Philly.  I didnít see any open parking lots, but maybe there are some.

I also donít know if they are just going to be offering pizza just from 5:00 pm on, or not.

Norma

Online scott123

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 10:17:59 AM »
While I'm sure these are great guys who most likely put out a solid pie, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call this a pizza 'museum.'  It's really just a kitschy pizzeria, imo.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
While I'm sure these are great guys who most likely put out a solid pie, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call this a pizza 'museum.'  It's really just a kitschy pizzeria, imo.

Scott,

I really donít know of any other pizza museum with a lot of pizza Memorabilia in one place.  I am always into the history of anything and what I saw was very interesting in my opinion. 

I looked at Pizza Brain yelp reviews and there really arenít a lot of them yet.  I guess time will tell if Pizza Brain will be a destination for many people to visit.  I sure wish I could have tasted a slice, but that wasnít possible yesterday, since we had to get home to let the dogs out.  I think in the future they are going to be offering whole pizzas.

The one man told me yesterday that Scott Wiener is coming back and really liked Pizza Brain.

Norma

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »

Well, they have guinness book on their side to lend a little legitimacy to their collection, along with all the major news outfits further strengthening their claim. I can see what you're saying, but they're claiming it and people are publishing it. Heck, just look at Austin, the live music capital of the world. Are they really? Just a claim and a focus, really. But if people buy into it, it becomes fact.

I just hope their pizza is good!

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/09/pizza-museum-philadelphia-pennsylvania-photos#slide=1

there's a photo slideshow at the bottom of the page, including a pie shot.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
http://www.cntraveler.com/daily-traveler/2012/09/pizza-museum-philadelphia-pennsylvania-photos#slide=1

there's a photo slideshow at the bottom of the page, including a pie shot.

weemis,

Thanks for the slideshow.  ;) I really enjoyed it.  I had wanted to try some pizza flavored ice cream at the Ice Cream store next to Pizza Brain, but forgot about it until we were leaving Philly.  The pizza looks good in the picture.  

Pizza Brain is sure getting a lot of press.  Here is another one in The New York Times.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/06/worlds-first-pizza-museum-opening-in-philadelphia/

I donít know if any of the men that work at Pizza Brain also own Little Babyís Ice Cream next door to Pizza Brain, but if anyone has a facebook page, on Pizza Brain facebook page there are different pictures of contraptions that they did to sell their ice cream.  I saw a video on you tube that shows breaking the door down between Pizza Brain and Little Babyís Ice Cream, but canít find it now.  It sure was funny.  :-D

This is one article about Little Babyís Ice Cream.  I think those guys are so hilarious and that is one reason I really like them and wish them success.

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news-and-opinion/164473296.html

Norma