Author Topic: Gluten Free pie in my FGM 700  (Read 5850 times)

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Gluten Free pie in my FGM 700
« on: September 09, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share this picture of my first gluten free pizza. Made it as a friend and her daughter with celiac came over for a pizza party.
I used the Red Mills gluten free dough mix to make it. It was my first try with that mix and turned out great. I followed the mixing instructions and then cooked it just like any other pizza in my FGM 700.

Personally didn't like it but my friend said it tastes great.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Gluten Free pie in my FGM 700
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:42:29 PM »
Did you cook it on a pan ? Try the King Authur GF pizz mixe yeild about 2 16 " pies  its very good !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
Did you cook it on a pan ? Try the King Authur GF pizz mixe yeild about 2 16 " pies  its very good !
John

reading the phrase "pizza mix" on this forum just feels wrong.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
John
No, I cooked it right on the oven earth just like a regular pizza, same temperature and so on. I was able to make 2 pizza with the Red Mill mix as well.
Next time I'll try the KA mix.

Antoine

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
reading the phrase "pizza mix" on this forum just feels wrong.

Nick,

Once you get into the gluten-free realm, the types of ingredients used to make a GF pizza are not exactly the types of ingredients you are likely to find in the average pantry, as the King Arthur ingredients list at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/labels/1346771992428.pdf clearly demonstrates.

Peter

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »
Nick,

Once you get into the gluten-free realm, the types of ingredients used to make a GF pizza are not exactly the types of ingredients you are likely to find in the average pantry, as the King Arthur ingredients list at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop-img/labels/1346771992428.pdf clearly demonstrates.

Peter

I understand, and even would probably go that route to accommodate the GF masses. It's just odd to see people talking about pizza mixes on the most DIY pizza site on the planet!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline SteveVit

• Supporting Member
    • Yo!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:54:35 PM »
"the gluten-free realm" is unpleasant, lol.

I'm on second pizza and find it to be frustrating at best. I tried a rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch and xanthan gum which was white and rubbery and a chick pea flour, almond flour and xanthan gum pizza which was better but crumbled easy and was very difficult to work with. I keep using a pizza peel and trying to work these things like regular pizza dough and it's not working so well. I'm going to keep trying and once I have something worthy I'll throw some pics up.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:03:39 AM »
"the gluten-free realm" is unpleasant, lol.

I'm on second pizza and find it to be frustrating at best. I tried a rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch and xanthan gum which was white and rubbery and a chick pea flour, almond flour and xanthan gum pizza which was better but crumbled easy and was very difficult to work with. I keep using a pizza peel and trying to work these things like regular pizza dough and it's not working so well. I'm going to keep trying and once I have something worthy I'll throw some pics up.
Hi Steve,

I think you sum it up pretty good there  :-D
The taste is just not that great, but for people who liked gluten based food and have not had gluten for a long time, it is good.
I found made from scratch recipes hard to work with, inconsistent results and a lot if ingredients to keep on hand, so I just prefer to use a mix.
My only suggestion is to make the dough with a little less water than what is recommended. Also keep a hand full of the dry mix to use as flour to stretch the dough and put on the peel. From there it should slide in very easy and not stick to the oven flour.
Hope this helps,

Antoine

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »
I was a tester for Peter Reinhart’s new book, “The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking”, and although I haven’t seen the book yet, did test some pizza recipes for the book.  I am not sure if any of them are included in the book.  The recipes did have some strange ingredients and were expensive to make.  Some of the pizza recipes I was given to try did turn out okay.  In the contents on page 62 http://www.amazon.com/The-Joy-Gluten-Free-Sugar-Free-Baking/dp/1607741164/?tag=pizzamaking-20 there are recipes for pizzas and focaccias.  I have some pictures of pizzas I made from the tester recipes, but don't know if I would be allowed to post them because of copyright laws.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 05:38:22 PM »
 agree with john the ka mix is really good,i drop the egg and add some extra water. i love the taste and i think it is also soy free. i tried to clone the mix and have come up with a pretty good crust. i use rice flour, potato starch,and tapioca starch as my flour. 70% rice 22% potato and 8% tapioca,2% salt, 3% sugar,5% oil,3% wet yeast, and .5% white vinegar.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
sorry, 2.5 tbs of xantham gum per 2000 grams of my flour mix

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Nice pie and thank you for sharing the recipe.
Did you cook it in a pan in your oven?

Antoine

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
yes, in a pan and at a reduced temperature of 600 degrees

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
Hi thezaman, I am also working on something like a KA GF mix clone (not exactly but I am using that mix for inspiration).  Here are the exact ingredients from the box:

INGREDIENTS: CRUST MIX: SPECIALTY FLOUR BLEND (RICE FLOUR, TAPIOCA STARCH), TAPIOCA STARCH, POTATO STARCH, SUGAR, EMULSIFIER (RICE STARCH, POLYGLYCEROL ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, MONO- AND DICLYCERIDES OF FATTY ACIDS), SALT, XANTHAN GUM. DRY YEAST: YEAST, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, ASCORBIC ACID.

Notice how the tapioca flour is listed twice, once as part of the flour blend and then right after.  Ingredients are supposed to be listed in order of greatest to least quantity and I think this is just a trick so that tapioca flour will not appear as the first ingredient -- by listing it twice they can cheat and make it look less common.  So, I think they are putting in a ton of tapioca flour, even more than the amount of rice flour.  Also I like all the eggs they are using, they help lighten up the dough.  I am going to try a version with more tapioca flour and see how it turns out.  Also I use ground chia seed and ground flax seed (5% or so each) which has a similar effect as their emulsifiers and xanthan gum.  Without the gluten to help make a foam from the yeast gases you need emulsifiers.  Egg also helps the foaming.

I have been GF for six months now and have more or less figured out how to make good GF bread, but I am just starting on pizza.  I was active here a few years ago and have a 2stone grill insert for making 900F pizza in my grill.  I made my first GF pizza tonight and it came out a lot better than I had feared and will be working on improving it.

Scott

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
 scott, let me know how you recipe turns out. my dough has little rise to it.

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
thezaman, I made the following recipe last night and it came out very well.  It got about 2/3 of the rise that a standard white flour pizza has.  I didn't fire up my 900F oven to cook it and just did oven cooking at 500F, but it was still good.

1.   brown rice flour 90g
   2.   sorghum flour 60g
   3.   ground flax seed 20g
   4.   ground chia seed 20g
   5.   tapioca flour 90g
   6.   potato starch 50g
   7.   active dry yeast 1/2 tsp
   8.   salt 6g
   9.   2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
   10.   2 egg yolks
   11.   water 120g
   12.   milk 80g
   13.   olive oil 23g
   14.   sugar 20g
   15.   apple cider vinegar 8g

Instructions: mix together dry, add wet except for egg whites, mix all up, fold in egg whites.  Proof for a couple hours, shape, cook.   For faster proof add more yeast.

The dough is quite sticky so you need to put oil on your hands and press it out.  It is hard to get crust super thin with this method, I need to do some work to figure out how to make thin crust.  I could get it to 3mm (after cooking) without much problem.

The ingredients above are partly an adaption of the bread recipe I have been using.  The chia/flax/egg are important to make a foam and get a rise.  KA uses no sorghum flour and that could probably be replaced with starch and rice flour.  Note that I am probably using less % tapioca starch than KA is, but this already seems like a lot to me.  The flax and chia can be all of one or the other if you can't find both, chia seeds in particular can be hard to find.  I grind the seeds in a coffee grinder.  The milk and sugar is to help browning, this guy browned very nicely.  Milk can be replaced by a water/milk powder combo.  KA has the sugar but not the milk.

I am going to be tuning this guy, it needs some work, but its a starting point roughly in the space of the KA recipe.  I may also try to make something more literally like the KA box, leaving out the sorghum, cider, and milk.  I have not tried the KA box yet in fact, it is not sold locally and I will need to mail-order it.

Scott

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
 looks really good any pictures you can share?

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »
I will take some pictures of the next batch.  For that one I will try something more literally like the KA recipe.

Scott

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
OK I finally made pizza again and remembered to take a picture.  The pan was a bit big so I couldn't put much of a rim on it with the amount of dough I had; it might look like it didn't rise so much without a big rim, but it in fact had a good rise.  I used the following recipe:

1.   brown rice flour 125g
   3.   ground flax seed 20g
   4.   ground chia seed 20g
   5.   tapioca flour 120g
   6.   potato starch 80g
   7.   active dry yeast 1 tsp
   8.   salt 6g
   9.   2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
   10.   2 egg yolks
   11.   water 75g
   12.   milk 80g
   13.   olive oil 23g
   14.   honey 25g
   15.   apple cider vinegar 8g

This was an attempt to get a bit closer to the KA box, I replaced the sorghum with other flour/starch.  I needed a lot less water, starch absorbs less water than grains.  I would say the pizza was better than the previous one, the other one was a bit spongy (probably from the greater amount of water).  I didn't have any good cheese for the topping but the family still gobbled it up with compliments - they like it just as much as the glutenated pizza I used to make.

Scott

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »
That looks pretty good. Thank you for sharing, I will have to try that one.

Antoine