Author Topic: Has anyone used these templates/instructions to build a WFO?  (Read 962 times)

Online Chaze215

Has anyone used these templates/instructions to build a WFO?
« on: September 09, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
They make it sound so damn easy to build a WFO...lol I was wondering if anyone has used them. Just curious. Thanks in advance!
http://brickwoodovens.com/Ovens.html

Chaz
Chaz

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Has anyone used these templates/instructions to build a WFO?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »
Chaze those are a "barrel"/ Alan Scott style wfo.  You should do a search on those terms and see if that is something that you are looking for.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 08:58:33 PM »
The template is fine if you want to build a barrel vault oven, but the instructions are garbage.  Multiple people have come here and to other brick oven sites with issues after building to their plans, but the owner fails to listen to the issues.
-Jeff

Online Chaze215

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »
The template is fine if you want to build a barrel vault oven, but the instructions are garbage.  Multiple people have come here and to other brick oven sites with issues after building to their plans, but the owner fails to listen to the issues.

So I take it they arent so good eh?...lol They barrel ovens arent as good as the others?
Chaz

Online shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
That particular barrel shape isn't ideal for pizza being narrow and deep with a high vault, but it would be workable.  The issue is basically every part of their design AFTER that form.  It's wrong in every way shape and form.  The ovens not only lacks insulation both under the floor and over the dome, it even lacks basic things like a door to help hold in heat, the front is just wide open top to bottom and side to side.  Then to add salt to the wound they instruct you to build with a massive amount of thermal mass that you will never saturate in such a poorly designed oven.  I cannot stress enough how bad their instructions and design are.  Probably the worst there are.
-Jeff

Online Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
Thanks for the insight shu! For someone who knows nothing about building a WFO(or masonry at all like myself), they would think those instructions were pretty straight forward and give it a shot. Thanks again!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
The plans are total and complete garbage.  The template is OK if you want to spend a lot of money for something you can build with 5 bucks worth of wood.  I have spoken to them on the phone and they do not really understand the dynamics of a WFO.  That oven as designed is a funny-looking fireplace.

Offline correctbuilder

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:03:50 AM »
As a professional brick oven builder, I totally agree with the negative reviews of Brickwood Ovens.  It saddens me that a company can dominate the first 5 pages of a web search on their product before anyone comes upon a review.  Brickwood Ovens should be listening but profit is coming ahead of customer care.
FYI: They are not the only ones providing poor plans but certainly the most blatantly contrary to brick oven logic.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
Luckily, they specify 2 colors of firebrick so I am able to instantly identify someone that calls for pricing and steer them away from the design.

pizzapan