Author Topic: Any Gaming People? Older or Younger  (Read 1830 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Any Gaming People? Older or Younger
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:32:18 AM »
I know me and my dad use to tear up some Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo and Mario Kart on the 64, but does anyone still play games? I know that a few of my buddies still play Halo and first person shooters with their dads and brothers, and I can attest to doing the same with Grand Theft Auto and Red Alert games. Does anyone else get into PC or console games still? Age has nothing to do with it in my mind.

P.S. - I am a super nerd BTW..... I play a little World of Warcraft and Starcraft..... There I said it. I'm an official nerd on the forum now.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Any Gaming People? Older or Younger
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:47:44 AM »
LOL, not unless your IGN is "SUPAHKILLAHXXX".

I used to play Armagetron Advanced (a free game for all OS platforms) online as "AL's Used Cars".  Here's a link to the main project page:  http://wiki.armagetronad.org/index.php/Main_Page
It's pretty fun, kind of like high-speed chess, and the average player age tends to be much older, sort of like this forum actually.

Some demo video here:
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
I was a game nerd too...only it started 35 years ago. :'(

It all started when my grandmother bought us a Pong game for Christmas. I think it was February before we watched any TV again because the Pong game was hooked up to the only TV that we had (not all that uncommon back then).

Then came the Commodore VIC-20 and Commodore 64. I remember getting Asteroids and thinking that it was the best thing in the world. There was also the text-based role playing games like Telengard: "You have encountered a level 1 troll--Fight, Cast, or Evade"  :-D Just thinking about it cracks me up.

Anybody remember Wolfenstein 3D? It was originally a DOS game but was eventually ported to other platforms. It was one of the earliest first-person shooter games. Myself and a friend of mine were quite addicted to it when it first came out.

Now I mostly play Wii with my son. I think I've played just about all of the Mario games. I used to have to let him win once in a while or he would get upset, but now I don't think that I could beat him if I wanted to. The whole family likes to play Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. I've gotten pretty good at the bowling, golf, and tennis. My daughter secretly made a video of me playing Just Dance 3. I found out about it and confiscated what I hope is the only copy.  :-[ :-D
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 10:33:16 AM »
I know me and my dad use to tear up some Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo and Mario Kart on the 64, but does anyone still play games? I know that a few of my buddies still play Halo and first person shooters with their dads and brothers, and I can attest to doing the same with Grand Theft Auto and Red Alert games. Does anyone else get into PC or console games still? Age has nothing to do with it in my mind.

P.S. - I am a super nerd BTW..... I play a little World of Warcraft and Starcraft..... There I said it. I'm an official nerd on the forum now.

When do you find time to study?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »
Oh the World of Warcraft thing is a summer thing really. I play it only when I find the time, nothing too serious. I know some of my friends have failed classes and one even had to transfer to a junior college. When I saw that I decided that Warcraft and other games weren't going to become part of the daily routine. Maybe weekends when I'm free and summers though.

Cooking and my dog really took the part of games though.

BTW Colonel, I read about Wolfenstein the other day actually about it being a big game when it released and influential on the future of FPS. Too funny you brought it up today.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:29:58 AM by rcbaughn »
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
And lurking on the PM forum?  I know it takes up a lot of my time!   :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 11:38:05 AM »
BTW Colonel, I read about Wolfenstein the other day actually about it being a big game when it released and influential on the future of FPS. Too funny you brought it up today.

I played Castle Wolfenstein on my Apple II+ back around 1980 sometime. Needless to say it wasn't a FPS back then.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 03:43:48 PM »
I play Starcraft: Brood War for hours, like 5-7 hours 6 days a week when I was younger and just have to worry about school stuff. I have SC 2 but a don't have many time to play anymore, I just play the first moth that I have it.
Some times I play COD with my brothers. I was addicted to the Fifa games too, I even enter to friends tournaments but I haven't play in a while.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »
Wolfenstein was huge when it was first released. Then a year or so later came Doom. The great thing about Doom was that it could played multi-player over a LAN. We used to play it at lunchtime where I worked.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:50:10 PM »
This is what I use.

scott123

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
Muy caliente, David. Muy muy caliente  ;D

Is that a wood fired computer?

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
That gives me an idea... that's some serious cooling power going on there.  What would happen if you reversed the compression so that the tubes were piping outside heat into the box?  After frying your mobo, could you cook in it?

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 09:25:08 PM »
Muy caliente, David. Muy muy caliente  ;D

Is that a wood fired computer?
No... its dual pump water cooled.

That gives me an idea... that's some serious cooling power going on there.  What would happen if you reversed the compression so that the tubes were piping outside heat into the box?  After frying your mobo, could you cook in it?

FOR WHAT!!!???  :-D

I'm kind of confused by what you mean. But if my mobo ever goes bad I'll go crazy.

Running few CAD programs and use it for gaming.
Worst thing about this is that it weighs almost 100lbs and moving it outside to clean it is a hassle.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:28:31 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 09:30:19 PM »
That looks like something from a Pink Floyd concert or sum'in. What in the world is that ....and do I need one? 
Red is cool man..... :D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 10:27:58 PM »
I have a stockpile of about 12 Nintendo nes systems and about 200 games.  Got to love the old games.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
Well geez I have to fess up again.  I use MAME, the free multiplatform arcade emulator, to play all these awesome arcade games, mostly from the late 90's.   It runs on average hardware, you don't need a growling, snorting beast like that red Alienware shockjob.   link to project page:  http://mamedev.org/ 

Really, I like it Dave! But my green-with-envy face clashes with the neons.

Until I cut my hair, I felt like a fat long-haired middle-aged loser in a garage playing video games from his youth.  Now, I feel so different!  It's like night and day!  Now I feel like a soon-to-be trim responsible business owner who has job prospects and a wonderful life!  How the hell did that happen?   :P :-D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 10:47:28 PM by pizzaneer »

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
Never been into games till I got my iphone...I tried few aps games, best one that I really enjoyed.. Galaxy on fire II.. Great graphics and user interface.. It was even more enjoyable on the IPad. I don't play it any more...

Bert,

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
I have used the same username from 1982 when we played a multiplayer game written by a graduate student on a Honeywell Multics system.  It was called "Wizards" and was real-time multiplayer, but text based.  It featured all the usual text game attributes but also included PvP.  I can still type, "cast burning hands" (a spell) at 5 times my normal typing rate.  Not a fan of FPS but I have played a lot of online flight simulator (Warbirds) and other strategy type games.  Currently not gaming, nothing much out there.

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 10:24:30 AM »
I play X3 Albion Prelude and Sins of a Solar Empire (series) for 3 hours each month if lucky.  They're PC games. 

pizzapan