Author Topic: Dialing in the converted smoker  (Read 811 times)

Offline jon7821

• Go Big Red!
Dialing in the converted smoker
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
I've spent quite a bit of time modifying and experimenting with my converted Chargriller Smokin' Pro, and I think I'm nearly there.  The grill is very different than the way it started, with a much smaller deck, lowered dome and larger fire box.  I'm now getting roughly 2 minute bake times with much better top browning.

Now that the tops are coming out closer to what I'd like, the bottoms are burning.  My deck has been getting up over 850, driven by a bed of charcoal under the deck.  Just for giggles, last night I made a fire with no coals just to see what the oven did.  Very quickly heated up the deck to about 650 nearest the flame and 500 further away, but had some trouble keeping temps consistent.  I think the next step is to use those coals in the fire bed area instead of under the deck.  They should provide a more consistent baseline of heat, then i can spike the temps with some wood for top browining.

Anyhow, here are a couple picks of the oven as it stands now and last Sunday's pies.
Tryin' to get my baking skills on par with my consumption skills.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Dialing in the converted smoker
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »
Looking good there Jon!

Have you tried setting up the grill as was suggested a month or two ago, with a forced-air fire in the firebox, the deck moved to the center, and the right side of the cooking grate blocked for preheat, then unblocked for baking? Just wondering if you have tried it.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
I think alot of people have lowered the exhaust to near grate level, that helps contain alot of heat in the "dome".  Lots of post over at The Smoke Ring.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline jon7821

• Go Big Red!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:26:30 PM »
Looking good there Jon!

Have you tried setting up the grill as was suggested a month or two ago, with a forced-air fire in the firebox, the deck moved to the center, and the right side of the cooking grate blocked for preheat, then unblocked for baking? Just wondering if you have tried it.

I haven't done anything with gas nor with forced air at this point.  I'm really trying to keep the rig simple and faily basic until I get the time and cash to work a full WFO into my world.

Offline jon7821

• Go Big Red!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28:32 PM »
I think alot of people have lowered the exhaust to near grate level, that helps contain alot of heat in the "dome".  Lots of post over at The Smoke Ring.

That is a very good point, and something I did in the past for smoking ribs.  I'm only wondering about the amount of draft the chimney will get.  Have to monkey around with that.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »
Don't get me wrong, they look great.

At 850* you must be at your best game for AP or BF not to get all jacked up and burn on the bottom.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends