Author Topic: Red Star Platinum Superior Baking Yeast  (Read 2909 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Red Star Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
« on: September 11, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Red Star Platinum Superior Baking Yeast
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
Never seen it. Do you have some? If so, I'd be curious to know what they are adding to it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:02:57 PM »
my husband brought home a sample from work the other day, haven't used any yet

ingredients : yeast , sorbitan monostearate, soya flour, ascorbic acid, enzymes

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
I have never seen buttons on an apron. ???  WTF?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »
I have never seen buttons on an apron. ???

Gene,

I think it is his underwear, not an apron :-D.

Peter

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »
wait, doesn't everyone bake in their underpants?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
It looks like the new Red Star Platinum yeast is similar to the fairly new Fleischmann's Pizza Crust yeast as described in Reply 295 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11044.msg102395/topicseen.html#msg102395. It also looks like the new Red Star product is like the SAF-Instant Plus yeast described at http://lesaffre.ua/en/products/khlebopekarnye-sukhie-drozhzhi.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »
I've used it, but not for pizza. I used it in a very rich pastry dough to use for cinnamon buns and it worked well. Might well be overkill for pizza though!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »
Never seen it. Do you have some? If so, I'd be curious to know what they are adding to it.

This is from how-to-make-homemade-dough-enhancer

What goes into a dough enhancer? I use a combination of wheat gluten, lecithin, ascorbic acid crystals, pectin, gelatin, nonfat dry milk, and ginger. Wheat gluten improves the texture and rise of bread. Lecithin teams up with the gluten to make bread lighter. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) helps the yeast work better. Pectin adds moisture, as does the gelatin. The dry milk helps the dough relax (man, who needs uptight dough?), and the ginger is another yeast booster (you won’t taste it in the finished product). Most of these are also preservatives, so they help keep your bread fresh longer, and they are all natural

John K

I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »
This is from how-to-make-homemade-dough-enhancer

What goes into a dough enhancer? I use a combination of wheat gluten, lecithin, ascorbic acid crystals, pectin, gelatin, nonfat dry milk, and ginger. Wheat gluten improves the texture and rise of bread. Lecithin teams up with the gluten to make bread lighter. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) helps the yeast work better. Pectin adds moisture, as does the gelatin. The dry milk helps the dough relax (man, who needs uptight dough?), and the ginger is another yeast booster (you won’t taste it in the finished product). Most of these are also preservatives, so they help keep your bread fresh longer, and they are all natural

John K

John, do you also add these ingredients to your pizza dough? If so what % of flour.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline henkverhaar

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
Not sure waht the soy flour does. Ascorbic acid is an oxidizer (indirectly, through enzyme action), and has in principle the same purpose as bromate. Sorbitan monostearate is an emulsifier, improving (so they say) bread structure (I use a similar emulsifier - glycerol monostearate - to improve consistency of ice cream; and to make cosmetic creams...). Enzymes could be anything, but my (wild) guess would be diastatic malt powder - for generating more sugar for the yeast to feast on. But it could be different (or multiple) enzymes of course.

Briefly, it is yeast with dough conditioners. Almost like the additives for a Chorleywood Bread Process. Not sure I would consider this for long ferment pizza dough (in fact from what I've recently read about dough conditioners is that most if not all are required in fast (industrial) dough preparation approaches, precisely to compensate for the lack of long, slow fermentation, with the possible exception of bromate/ascorbic acid.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
John, do you also add these ingredients to your pizza dough? If so what % of flour.

Mark

Mark,

I'm sorry for the confusion. There were supposed to be quotation marks around the statement beginning with, "What goes into a dough enhancer?......" I was simply cutting and pasting from the website cited. I currently do not use any dough enhancers. I think its a very interesting idea, however, since there are MANY times that I have not planned far enough inadvance to make a long ferment dough and I GOTTA have some pizza!!

I have used the Fleischman's Pizza Yeast in the past but I was not paying enough attention at the time to determine its performance against CY or ADY.

Regards,

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 06:55:42 PM »
If anyone is interested I tried different homemade dough conditioners on this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13385.0.html   There is one at Reply 131 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13385.msg137563.html#msg137563 that Peter helped me with, plus other ones on the above thread. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan