Author Topic: igloo or barrel ????  (Read 2171 times)

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
igloo or barrel ????
« on: November 08, 2005, 03:06:54 PM »
My fire bricks came today plan to start building tomorrow . I had planed to build an igloo 42" dia x 21" high it seems to me that as i build the gaps seem to be on all 4 sides at the back of the bricks. I could loose these by cutting every brick to fit or am i being too fussy and just fill with refractory cement. The barrel looks easier but is it as good?

Need some help please

Robin

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: igloo or barrel ????
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 03:22:05 PM »
Robin,

For pizza there is only one choice IMO:

Circular, low-dome shaped Neapolitan type.

Check the thread; Wood burning pizza oven for more info...

The gaps need to be filled only with refractory mortar ( rich in lime).

cIAO

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:24:38 PM »
Finished the Oven will post some photos soon. Have warmed it up over the last week and keep an electric fire on day and night. Made dough with 00 flour very nice. made sauce very nice . 1st pizza dough never cooked >:(. 2nd pizza toppings cooked base never cooked  >:(. 3rd pizza cooked the base first turned it a few times then added toppings everyone loved it  ;D. I know this is down to Fire Management after two hours 6 inches off the oven floor will take the hairs from your arm but will not cook my base. haveing never seen a wood fire before let alone tried to cook on one its hard to know where to start. If i move the fire around will that help or have two fires one each side ???

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:58:37 PM »
Edge,

Get yourself an IR thermometer. It will help you learn the unique behavior of your oven. It is interesting to see what the deck temperature is before baking and the temperature changes with each subsequent pizza which can have a dramatic effect on the quality of the pie. I rarely use mine anymore, but is was  invaluable in formulating a fire management strategy.

Bill/SFNM

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 04:09:16 PM »
will order one today thanks bill . fired the oven for our new year party must say everyone loved my pies . i incresed the size of the fire the temp on the floor was just right and the toppings cooked great.

Offline Gualtiero

• Someday....
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 12:53:03 PM »
Robin,

Which oven did you eventually build?? Personally, I am most interested in building the "igloo" oven.  Just curious to learn about your experience with building the unit. Do you have any lessons learned to pass along?

Thx,
Walt

Offline Kinsman

• Pizza & ribs......
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 02:21:20 PM »
Please share your thoughts (and pics!!!)
I am in the planning stage of my first oven, to be built at home.
Chris Rausch

Long Riders BBQ
Florence, Montana

Offline edge

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 07:35:46 AM »
Hi  i am the proud owner of an Igloo oven and must sat it`s great . I have been in the building trade for 35 years and found the building of the oven not to hard. If you have no experience of bricklaying you might have a problem with the dome. The general idea when building the dome is to lay the first few courses of bricks then fill the center with sand and shape it like the dome. I built mine up free hand until it looked like the next course would fall . Then i cut a circle out of ply and cut that in half ( so it would be easy to get out after). I packed it up to my last bricks this way i only needed 2 buckets of sand on top. I shaped the sand, lay ed the last bricks and the key stone and filled all the gaps with fire cement . When dry remove the ply and sand through the oven door. I would post some pics but my Sony seems to only take JPEG photos and i can not attach on this site. I found the fornobravo.com site very helpful and  you can print out a plan. I must also say a big thanks to all here that have advised me . If i can help anyone with the building details i will try my best . If you need help with the cooking  give me a few years then ask again.

Robin

pizzapan