Author Topic: Why is this something so simple so difficult?  (Read 209 times)

Offline blott

Why is this something so simple so difficult?
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »
Good Morning to all Members,

I am a new member as of this morning.  A little background first into how I got on this pursuit of making a perfect pizza.  Last summer I bought a Big Green Egg and have been having fun cooking on it for the past year.  This year I volunteered to be a cook at an Eggfest in Cincinnati.  I shared a cooling table with a great guy who made absolutely incredible pizzas on the BGE.  Since that time 2 months ago I have trying to replicate whay he does.

My wife has purchased books and magazines for me to read and last night she found this website.  I have already enjoyed reading the forums, just need to get familiar with some of the acronyms.

If anyone has experience cooking pizzas on a BGE just let me know please.  I am cooking at 550' and I have tried the stone directly on the platesetter and also raising it about 1" higher to allow the top to brown a little more and the bottom a little less.  I think I am OK on the grilling I just need to find the dough recipe that gives bm the crispness and air pockets I am looking for.  I have been using bleached flour but have a batch in the refridge now made with simple all purpose flour.  Plan on making the pizzas tonight so I will get a chance to see how this recipe works out.

Glad to be onboard....

Ben

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Why is this something so simple so difficult?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
Welcome, Ben. 

Please take pictures and (in a new thread) provide information about the dough recipe, your process and your baking.  We'll help however we can.

Brian

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:35:18 AM »
Ben,
There has been a lot of discussions on modifying the BGE on this site that I am sure you will find informative.  Most refer to raising the stone a little.  You would probably be better off doing a google search and adding Pizzamaking.com to the search.  It seems to get better results than the site search engine.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »
Welcome Ben.  Use this sites search function for "plate setter".
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends