Author Topic: Pizza from dough scraps  (Read 710 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Pizza from dough scraps
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
As some of you know, I recycle a lot of the scraps from my Tommy's dough. Sometimes, though, I end up with more scraps than I can use, and other times I simply choose not to add the scraps to the next batch of dough. So instead of throwing away the scraps, I make a pizza out of them.

I made one of these pizzas yesterday. The scraps I used were 3 days old, I think. They were from a batch of dough that I did not document in the Tommy's thread.

Yesterday I removed the scraps from the refrigerator a few hours before I intended to roll them (pic 1). Due to the stiffness of the scrap dough, I used the oven to warm up the dough a little beyond room temperature, to be able to fully roll it. After trimming the dough, I ended up with a 10 oz skin, which I rolled slightly bigger than my 11" perforated pan.

Immediately after rolling the skin, I sprayed the pan with nonstick spray, then positioned the skin on the pan. I topped the skin with 5 oz of sauce, 7 oz of cheese, and pepperoni. The pepperoni was a combination of Bridgford stick and what I think is "Pavone" pepperoni. I then let the topped skin rest at room temperature for nearly an hour as the oven and stone heated up. (I usually don't like giving the dough a chance to rise on the pan, but I wanted to try something different with this pizza, since I was already winging it.)

Baked for 10 minutes on the pan, then another minute-plus directly on the stone. This pizza was very good.

Does anyone else ever make pizza from scrap dough? If so, share it here.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza from dough scraps
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
Ryan,

I also tried making a pizza using only leftover scraps, as I described in Reply 32 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49257.html#msg49257.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:44:08 PM »

Does anyone else ever make pizza from scrap dough? If so, share it here.

Ryan,

I also used scrap dough from a Giordanoís stuffed deep dish to make a thin crust pizza at Reply 34 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20222.msg199518.html#msg199518

I think I used scrap dough before the above post to make a thin crust, but didnít look for that post.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:17:00 PM »
I know that I have just usually taken my little scraps and braided them into a mini loaf and had them kinda like a breadstick on the side. I may need to start freezing my scraps and when I get enough use them to bake one pizza. Be interesting to see how using a bunch of different doughs from different formulas would work out. Franken pie.
More is better..... and too much is just right.