Author Topic: Raw pork  (Read 3182 times)

Offline pizza dr

Raw pork
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:22:30 PM »
Does anyone have a problem throwing on a piece of raw pork sausage or bacon on a 90 second pie?  I've done it plenty but my wife is giving me grief about it and I wasn't sure.  Thoughts? 

Scot

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Raw pork
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:18 AM »
Nope. Just make sure it is appropriately sized to ook in that amt of time.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
I do it all the time.  I don't bother taking the extra step of pre-cooking it.   

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 08:20:17 AM »
My wife would also have a fit if she knows that is what I will do.  At the Texas Pizza Summit, I grabbed the largest piece of sausage from the top of one of Craigs pies.  I broke it in half to make sure it wasn't pink in the middle.  It was not pink and appeared to be cooked all the way through.  I survived the Summit, raw sausage on the uncooked pie and all.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
In the past I par-cooked my sausage. I discovered the joy of placing it on the pie raw a year or so back, and I will never do it any other way. I can't believe I was wasting all that delicious grease on the frying pan and overcooking my sausage for so long.  :'(
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
GOT IT 

THANKS GUYS

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Gotta side with Mrs. Scot on this one:

In general, mixing raw and cooked meats is a big no, no.  Recently Chef Robert Irvin on a recent episode of Restaurant Impossible blew a gasket when the restaurant owner he was evaluating made a pizza using raw hamburger.  He ripped the owner a new one on camera then stormed through the dining room pulling pizzas off of diners' tables and throwing them in the garbage.

I'll admit that I have used raw sausage successfully on top of my pizzas in the past.  I don't engage in this practice anymore, however.  

When we open our restaurant, I plan to have make-tables fully visible to the public and using raw meat would create a PR nightmare--Lucy, you've got some 'splaining to do!  Cross contamination would have to be carefully watched--it's preferrable to have a refrigerated prep table where the ingredients are not inherently toxic if mishandled.  Using raw pork on top of a pizza would also violate widely held best-practices of many culinary schools, as well.  This practice is just not professional, in my opinion.

Weighing the risks vs rewards, I have switched to lightly browning all sausage and bacon before adding it to the pizza in our experimental kitchen.  While using raw sausage on a pizza might be OK in the privacy of one's home if handled and baked correctly, if the chef is really careful, I don't think its a good idea in a commercial environment.  Public complaints, health department questions or citations, and possible contamination with lethal bacteria, all equals a great deal of potential trouble.  And for what?  Extra oil and some additional flavor on the few pizzas that utilize uncooked pork.  Not a good gamble.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:48:10 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »
I just had to put down a slice of my sausage, rum soaked cranberry, and honey pie because it was too hot to eat. Believe me, the sauage was fully cooked despite being put on the pie raw.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 11:27:41 PM »
I just had to put down a slice of my sausage, rum soaked cranberry, and honey pie because it was too hot to eat. Believe me, the sauage was fully cooked despite being put on the pie raw.

I've had the same experience, Craig.  As long as the pieces aren't too big, everything should cook OK and be safe.  I just wouldn't make it operating policy at a commercial establishment.  I know of a place in Berkeley that preps pizza that way and they are very successful, but I believe the benefits are outweighed by the potential negatives.  If nothing else, I'd hate to have to answer the same question daily from customers asking, "Are you sure that's OK?" as they peered through the window at the prep table.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:32:42 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 11:28:03 PM »
... Using raw pork on top of a pizza would also violate widely held best-practices of many culinary schools, as well....  

I don't know of many culinary schools cranking out world class pies.  Please don't tell the Chicago deep dish pie guys of the alleged violation, raw pork is always in the recipe. 

Next time at Craig's, I will take my thermo-pen and get the temperatures. 

I hear that the "new" pork safe temp is 145. Is that correct? 

You have some little 2 or 3 gram piece of raw pork at 900 for 70 seconds and its not done?  You are barking up the wrong tree, IMO.

What is your real feeling on the matter?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »
The first time I saw sausage put on a pie raw was at Tony's in North beach, SF. Even after that I was still weary until I tried it myself. Since then, I've never looked back. If I ever go pro, I would put it on raw 100%. The difference is night and day.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
What is your real feeling on the matter?

I'm actually more afraid of the politics than the science.
RE

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 11:36:57 PM »
I was worried too; I looked hard at the pork. It was cooked.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »
I know I could maintain safe food handling parameters with raw pork on the make table.  I'm not as confident I could trust an 18 year old to do the same when I decided to take a day off.  Raw pork residue could end up where it shouldn't, kids don't tend to watch things as closely.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:42:46 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 11:40:24 PM »
I was worried too; I looked hard at the pork. It was cooked.

I had the same experience, Craig.  No disagreement there.
RE

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 11:41:17 PM »
I know I could maintain safe food handling parameters with raw pork on the make table.  I'm not as confident I could hire an 18 year old to do the same when I decided to take a day off.  Raw pork residue could end up where it shouldn't, kids don't tend to watch things as closely.

Only you can make this call.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 12:32:57 AM »
Only you can make this call.

I'm sure it's one of those universal judgement calls that every pizza business owner has to make before opening day.
RE

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 12:39:19 AM »
There was an amazing video linked on this site many years ago.    It was a chef at grimaldi's chucking a whole bunch of mini balls of raw sausage on a pie with a spoon or knife.  The speed and accuracy this guy had was amazing.  I wish I could find it.      

Raw is the only way I go, but it really does slow me down at parties.      

The wizeguy at Bianco's is pretty badass, and Chris parcooks.    It almost tasted like he smoked it when he smoked his cheese.       yumm

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 08:06:06 AM »
scott r,

I don't think this video was referenced on this forum before but it does show the pizza maker putting raw sausage on a pizza at Grimaldi's:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8w5Kv_CDw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8w5Kv_CDw</a>

Peter

parallei

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
I don't think this video was referenced on this forum before but it does show the pizza maker putting raw sausage on a pizza at Grimaldi's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8w5Kv_CDw.

Peter

And then his unwashed hands go right into a container of grated cheese and who knows where else.   And that's the problem in a commercial setting.  

I hear that the "new" pork safe temp is 145. Is that correct?

Yes, USDA says as an internal temp of 145 for muscle pieces, ground the still 160.  Ground meats have the problem of all the happy bugs (bacteria) living on the outside of the muscle pieces being, well, ground into the whole mass.  On a whole cooked muscle piece, the external bugs get zapped by the heat of cooking.  The inside of whole muscle pieces are pretty bug free.

That said, I cook my pork (muscle pieces) like tenderloins to about 142 and let them sit awhile and I think small pieces of sausage get cooked from raw at the high heat of NP style and the longer times of NY. On the smaller pieces of sausage there is a lot of surface area exposed to the heat, unlike a ground meat patty. The sausage I get locally is pretty lean.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:43:40 PM by parallei »

pizzapan