Author Topic: I land in San Francisco this afternoon  (Read 596 times)

Offline shuboyje

I land in San Francisco this afternoon
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:58:26 AM »
Like the title says I land in San Francisco this afternoon.  With UPN closed for vacation and pizza hacker not on the streets my plan right now is to hit Tony's and Del Popolo, any other's I shouldn't miss.  I don't want to overload my travel partners with pizza, but also don't want to miss something truly special.

From San Francisco we are headed to LA.  In LA I plan to try Trattoria Neapolis(saw a recent write up on slice and the pies look nice).  Any other can't miss places?  I know LA is kinda a dead town for pizza, and Mozza is of no interest to me, my friends who live in LA have confirmed my suspicions.
-Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

Re: I land in San Francisco this afternoon
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:04:23 AM »
When you see Jon at Del Popolo, please say "hi" for me and tell him I'm taking good care of the Acunto!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
You might call Pizzaiolo in Oakland and see if they have their nettles pizza today. If so, it's worth the stop, and if you plan to take I5 to LA, it's hardly out of your way at all.
Pizza is not bread.

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »
It's been a while since I've seen a photo, but Avellino does a solid NY slice.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/san-francisco-pizzeria-avellino-chooses-the-right-inspiration.html?ref=thumb

Try, if you can, to get a pie straight from the oven, as, from the photos I've seen, some of the slice pies look a bit long in the tooth. Californians, on the whole, seem to be a little too comfortable about making pies way in advance. Unless, of course, you're looking for a crispier undercrust. Re-heats are crispy city.

Delfina gets a lot of hype:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/01/pizzeria-delfina-san-francisco-sf-ca-mission-district-pizza-review.html?ref=search

I'd never go to a place with long baked all caputo doughs, but it seems to have a lot of fans.

For LA., I'd try to swing by Vito's.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/07/vitos-pizza-in-los-angeles-ca.html

Edit: FWIW, I may be wrong about this, but it kind of looked like, when Paulie Gee visited Pizza Hacker, he might have gone to his workshop. Jeff might be busy with the consulting he's doing for the The Forge, but if you can track down a phone number, it might not hurt to give him a call.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:01:16 AM by scott123 »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
How far away is San Diego from LA? Maybe give Bruno a try if it's near http://pizzeriabrunosd.com/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Like the title says I land in San Francisco this afternoon.  With UPN closed for vacation and pizza hacker not on the streets my plan right now is to hit Tony's and Del Popolo, any other's I shouldn't miss.  I don't want to overload my travel partners with pizza, but also don't want to miss something truly special.

From San Francisco we are headed to LA.  In LA I plan to try Trattoria Neapolis(saw a recent write up on slice and the pies look nice).  Any other can't miss places?  I know LA is kinda a dead town for pizza, and Mozza is of no interest to me, my friends who live in LA have confirmed my suspicions.

Jeff, did you get to Del Popolo?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 11:47:20 PM »
If you haven't reached LA yet do settebello in pasadena.

pizzapan