Author Topic: Pepperoni bowls?  (Read 498 times)

Offline TheRailroadBulls

• Ahhhhh... Fatboy Style!!
Pepperoni bowls?
« on: April 18, 2015, 07:26:15 AM »
My question is pretty straight forward. Soooo..... I've used several different kinds of pepperoni from multiple manufacturers, natural casing and the crappy stuff, and I am still yet to find pepperoni that turn into little cups full of grease. I don't want greasy pizza all the time, but I'd like the option when I'm feeling like it. So.... obviously, my question is: Is there a TYPE of pepperoni I need to buy to get this effect? Or are there other factors at play like bake time and whatnot? If so, I usually bake in a home oven, between 525 - 550 depending on what type of dough I've made. I don't use broil anymore, and I don't use two stones or anything fancy. Just a standard .5"/15" stone towards the bottom of my oven.

Btw: Tip to home pizza makers. If your home oven is anything like mine then PLEASE... PLEASE do NOT use convection even if your oven has it. You WANT the top of the oven to have hotter air collecting, especially if you preheat for an hour like most of us do. PLUS, the fans will blow the hot air out of the oven if you open the door to adjust anything, unless you turn the thing off...
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice." - Henry Ford

Offline HBolte

• Supporting Member
Re: Pepperoni bowls?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:21:34 PM »
I have had pretty good luck with cupping using both Boars Head whole/unsliced natural casing and Boars Head sliced. Below is the sliced without natural casing and they cupped a bit. High heat seems to help.
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:10:15 PM »
Vermont Smoked Pepperoni cups pretty well.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »
A few years ago, Kenji over at Serious Eats wrote about pepperoni cups. Here's a link.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/12/the-pizza-lab-why-does-pepperoni-curl.html

I find that Margherita brand, but in a stick not pre sliced, cups well.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 07:14:04 PM »
What Jon said....
Bob

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 06:15:47 AM »
YES, guys, YES! That is exactly what I'm after. I'll keep an eye out for all of these, and I KNOW I can get Boars Head unsliced right down the road. Sadly, between writing this question and now I bought 5 lbs of unsliced Primo Gusto pepperoni (I know, not the best..) from GFS..... so once this is gone i'll get one of these and try it out.

As always, thanks guys! I appreciate you! :chef:

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
Has anybody had a larger-diameter pepperoni that cups well? I'm working throughing a box of Margherita natural pre-sliced, 38mm, and it looks like it's trying to cup. The Hormel stick (also 38mm) didn't cup for me.

The Vermont Smoked and Margherita sticks are smaller diameter and seem to have a higher fat content, too.  :drool:
In grams we trust. :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »
Cupping is largely a result of (lack of) manufacturing technique. Hormel goes to great lengths to make their pepperoni stay flat (unlike this forum, the vast majority of the people in this world who make pizza want their pepperoni to remain flat).

My guess is that cupping scales and that large diameter pepperoni might cup if cur proportionately thick and cooked proportionately longer - or in other words, no it's not going to cup on pizza.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
Cupping is largely a result of (lack of) manufacturing technique. Hormel goes to great lengths to make their pepperoni stay flat (unlike this forum, the vast majority of the people in this world who make pizza want their pepperoni to remain flat).

My guess is that cupping scales and that large diameter pepperoni might cup if cur proportionately thick and cooked proportionately longer - or in other words, no it's not going to cup on pizza.

90% of the time, I want them to remain flat.... but.... sometimes I fatboy out and I want the greasy, crusty rim of the cupping kind. We used to have a kids playground place when I was young (kind like Chuckie Cheese) called "Major Magics", and I went there a lot with my Grandpa, so it just takes me back to good times w/ him

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 09:14:52 AM »
Has anybody had a larger-diameter pepperoni that cups well? I'm working throughing a box of Margherita natural pre-sliced, 38mm, and it looks like it's trying to cup. The Hormel stick (also 38mm) didn't cup for me.

The Vermont Smoked and Margherita sticks are smaller diameter and seem to have a higher fat content, too.  :drool:

Everytime I use the larger diameters I can never get them to stick. Last night, I took a 4 lb stick and took a chunk off, and cut them into .5 cm cubes.... and... i'll never do that again. I now understand why pepperoni is usually cut flat and thing. The cubes stored SO much fat and leached it out SO slowly, that it took me 3 paper towels just to make it edible when it came out of the oven. It didn't help either that my cook time was reduced cause using lard instead of oil dried out the crust SO much faster.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 09:42:04 AM »
90% of the time, I want them to remain flat.... but.... sometimes I fatboy out and I want the greasy, crusty rim of the cupping kind. We used to have a kids playground place when I was young (kind like Chuckie Cheese) called "Major Magics", and I went there a lot with my Grandpa, so it just takes me back to good times w/ him

Major Magics was the best.  My memory is that their pepperoni was standard pizzeria diameter, thin, cupped and browned on the edge.  Closest I've come is a natural causing bridge ford pepperoni that you can get in a large stuck at Kroger, but I'm doing it in a coal oven.  Cupping takes heat from above.
-Jeff

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
The brand matters:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/taste-tests-sliced-pepperoni.html

My Hormel brand was near the bottom for crisp / cupping (should have spent the cash). Well there is a cheaters way to get it cupping from Cooks country:

Lay out pepperoni on a double paper towel, place another on top place it in the microwave for 1 min. Fat will render out therefore you will be further ahead when on the pizza.   

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:36 PM »
Major Magics was the best.  My memory is that their pepperoni was standard pizzeria diameter, thin, cupped and browned on the edge.  Closest I've come is a natural causing bridge ford pepperoni that you can get in a large stuck at Kroger, but I'm doing it in a coal oven.  Cupping takes heat from above.

Haha, not too many people remember Major Magics, and yes, you are exactly right about the size/shape. Their pizza was garbage but the extra saved grease inside each pepperoni made it awesome to me as a kid. The only natural casing pepperoni I seen at my Kroger was Boars Head, but I didn't look very hard. I'll have to look again next time I go.. thanks man!

Offline TheRailroadBulls

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »
The brand matters:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/taste-tests-sliced-pepperoni.html

My Hormel brand was near the bottom for crisp / cupping (should have spent the cash). Well there is a cheaters way to get it cupping from Cooks country:

Lay out pepperoni on a double paper towel, place another on top place it in the microwave for 1 min. Fat will render out therefore you will be further ahead when on the pizza.   

Whenever I've heated pepperoni beforehand it's always been the sandwich slice size and they always got wavy, not cupped, but I've never tried preheating the normal size. The stick I have now is Primo Gusto (GOD I hate their products. It's what the old shop I worked at used...) and it's like... halfway between a pizza size, and a sandwich size, if that makes sense? I'll give it a whirl soon.

Today I'm making a pizza that I plan on having at my shop when it opens. It's got provolone, mozz, serranos, habaneros, poblanos, japapenos, and cherry peppers. I call it "Sergeant Peppers Lonely Heartburn Club Band". :-) Cheers! Serving it with a drink popular in Germany, that is 1 part frozen apple juice concentrate, to 3 parts sparkling seltzer water. NOM.

pizzapan