Author Topic: Marash, Za'atar and other post bake toppings.  (Read 849 times)

Offline cc2323

• I Love Pizza!
Marash, Za'atar and other post bake toppings.
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
I was recently checking out a recipe which referred to marash pepper flakes as a "secret ingredient" of sorts, and went on and on about how interestingly fruity and smokey they are. Of course, they are hard to find locally, and I was intrigued enough to bite the bullet and have a large package shipped. They are much softer than red chile flakes, which is what I'm more accustomed to. Unfortunately, I just don't think these have much flavor. It could be I got a bad batch, or maybe my taste buds don't appreciate subtlety, but it doesn't seem to add much even if I really cake it on.
   In a pic below it shows them on the left and some "dehydrated bell pepper" on the right. The bell pepper was pretty bland too, just slightly sour and meh.

I also occasionally use za'atar seasoning. I assume it's kind of like the middle east's version of "italian seasoning" in that it's a mix of things, and quite versatile. It too is a tad bland for my take though, and I don't use it very often.

I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations for post bake toppings. I usually go with the classics: parmesan, oregano, fresh basil, red chile pepper flakes, Louisiana hot sauce... and of course, calabrian peppers. 10 years ago I remember everyone and their mother had shakers of Paul Prudhomme's Pizza Magic seasoning, but it seems to have fallen out of favor "Ms Dash style". I try to stay away from high sodium toppings fwiw.

Offline squadricus

• Pizza ergo cogito.
Re: Marash, Za'atar and other post bake toppings.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:33 AM »
My favorite red pepper for post-bake is Nanami Togarashi, mixed red pepper with seaweed, orange peel, back sesame seed, Japanese pepper, ginger.

Also pretty fond of Indian dried garlic chutney.

Smoked Spanish Paprika seems to fill in what's missing in a pot of chili when it's not quite there, so I should reach for it more often.

With some Szechuan pepper, these have the makings of an awesome pizza pepper.  I know I don't have a scale with fine enough resolution for dialing in the in-laws home grown ghost, scorpion, and viper chili powders (dried and chipotle-processed).

In the middle eastern/north African vein, Zataar, Ras al hanout, Lebanese 7 spice, and sumac might be worth loading into shakers.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Vendor
    • MightyPizzaOven.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:29 AM »
Pizza topped with zaatar and olive oil mix is perfect for breakfast or lunch.

Offline stagpizzanewport

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »
Aleppo pepper is pretty mellow. We used it on a watermelon tomato salad long ago and the flavor came through, but on a pizza the sauce and cheese would overpower it I imagine. Try infusing an oil and use that to finish the pie.

Za'atar is pretty good, but I like espelette. It's damn pricey but is a great higher end alternative to crushed red pepper. It's has a much more balanced heat and lil bit o smokey.

Fennel pollen is also great but super expensive.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
Aleppo pepper is pretty mellow. We used it on a watermelon tomato salad long ago and the flavor came through, but on a pizza the sauce and cheese would overpower it I imagine. Try infusing an oil and use that to finish the pie.

If you make a flavor-bomb sauce or overload the sauce and cheese you can overpower any topping. In balance however, a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper on the sauce before bake can be incredible. On an (otherwise) Margarita with a swirl of Calabrian chili oil post bake, it can be transcendental.  I'd add Aleppo to the list of most important pizza discoveries of all time.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

wordpress