Author Topic: Advise needed, pizza failure..  (Read 1228 times)

Offline p.elkjaer

Advise needed, pizza failure..
« on: September 16, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
Hi guys,

I need some advise, as my pies today were if not a disaster, then not at all how I wanted them to be, and far from my last session shown here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20784.0.html

Problem: The pies burned very fast in the edges, however the bottom was very white with only little bake marks.
Also, they did'nt rise as much.

My dough was the same as last time, with only 1% more water (61%), but did not seem too wet!
Actually, it seemed as the dough was a little over rised! Can that cause the problems above, or is the oven just givning me a hard time today?
I am sure it was very hot, also the floot..

Secondly, the dough balls were only 225 grams today - 250 normally. They were very thin, so I don't get the bottom not baking well.

I only took pictures of the last pie, which was decent, but still far from my other bakes the past weeks.
Last pie:

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Advise needed, pizza failure..
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:28:47 PM »
Looks like you got enough top heat for whatever your time was.  We could use some numbers to further evaluate the situation.

1. Bake time
2. stone temp at launch
3. fire load at launch - coals or open flame?

I know you are reluctant to modify your IKEA WFO, but a few simple changes, made with easily reversible temporary mods could make a big difference in your bakes.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline p.elkjaer

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
Looks like you got enough top heat for whatever your time was.  We could use some numbers to further evaluate the situation.

1. Bake time
2. stone temp at launch
3. fire load at launch - coals or open flame?

I know you are reluctant to modify your IKEA WFO, but a few simple changes, made with easily reversible temporary mods could make a big difference in your bakes.

HAHA IKEA WFO - good one  8)

I don't have a tool for measuring temp - yet.
I had the oven very hot also with flames, and the floor was covered with coals before baking, so it should be hot enough.
Interesting though - do you remember the top heat issue? Now its too much?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »
No offense intended!  I do like the look of the oven, it's just that with that huge mouth on it it seems like more of an "outdoor fireplace" than something built for cooking.

Perhaps you could find one of these? : http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=ir%20thermometers&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Air%20thermometers&tag=pizzamaking-20

This would definitely help to pin down your stone temp.  Depending on wind, humidity, wood dryness and a host of other factors, your actual stone temp can vary wildy, even when the fire looks the same.

Bake time:  a nice stopwatch is usually included with any digital watch.  Just remember to hit the button!

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
I'm sorry to hear they weren't what you wanted. They sure do look nice from the top. I don't think you have too much top heat. The charring looks nice - and even too. I think the lack of rise is mostly coming from the smaller balls. You cut them back by 10%, and unless you made the pies smaller, it likely all came out of the rim. From the pictures, it looks like the puffed up. There are some signs that your dough was weak around the edge from overfermentation and gas busting out when you shaped the skins. This will make your rims rise less.

I can only think of one thing that would cause a lack of browning on the bottom, and that's insufficient heat.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:49:56 PM »
Bake time:  a nice stopwatch is usually included with any digital watch.  Just remember to hit the button!

I think all smartphones have them too.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline p.elkjaer

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »
Your right - I should have timed the bakes, I was just to frustated when seeing them burn.
And yes, I have to get a laser termo.

Craig: The pie on the images were not exactly bad, but it was by far the best today. All the rest were pretty burned in the edges.
I estimate the bakes to 90-130 sec.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
p.elkjaer, i think you are having problems with uneven heat in you oven, maybe you should test various positions and shapes for your fire, it is possible that the "U" shape fire is burning you cornicione and the center of the stone is still cool, try a bigger fire on one side and maybe some coals in the front to loose less heat because of the big opening. hope.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
The size of your little pieces of cheese are the same in both of your tries, yet in the second try they are overbrowned. So this makes me think it is not the dough that is the issue. You had heat changes from the first time to the next.

Offline p.elkjaer

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
Yes that makes good sense!
Today I ordered an infrared termometer, so I can have facts and not only guesses.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
The more variables you can control the better and more consistent your pizzas will be!  I also record my pizza outings in terms of the workflow etc.  It helps. 

Good Luck

pizzapan