Author Topic: Second NY Style Experiment Based on Essen1's Pizza Project  (Read 8458 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Second NY Style Experiment Based on Essen1's Pizza Project
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
Peter,
Congrats on your new SS piece. Your pics are very high quality, thanks. Wish I could eat that whole pie man!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 05:38:47 PM »
Thanks Bob...natural light helps a ton.

Went down the search-feature rabbit hole last night looking for oven mods. After winding through many different posts I found a simple safe option to adjust the oven temp calibration (Thanks Scott). I was able to raise the temp by 35*, every degree helps.  ;D

After an hour and 20 minute preheat the SS got up to 610-14F. Recovery between pies took about 10 minutes.

100%  KABF
63%   Water
0.15%   IDY
2%     salt
1.5%   Oil
2%   sugar

Bulk RT ferment for 12 hours at 61F seriously, we like it cold  :-\. 24 hours balled in the fridge at 38F.
The dough was over-fermented and a bit too elastic likely due to over-kneading, causing one pie to fold and all of them to contract.

First pie baked in 3:45 with the broiler on for the first 1:30.
Second pie baked in 3:30 with the broiler on for the first 1:30
Third pie baked in 3:25 with the broiler on for the first 1:45
Despite the poor dough management these were some of the best pies I've made. Light, tender and slightly chewy with still enough browning and char to add flavor. The slices that survived the lunch time onslaught and had time to cool, were still tender.

-Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:44:16 PM by PetersPizza »

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
continued

Offline PetersPizza

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
last

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
Peter: They all look fabulous. That last one looks like a veggie lover's dream (or at least THIS veggie lover).

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

scott123

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
Peter, that first pizza is spectacular.

After playing around with broiler timing a bit, I settled in on using the broiler for the last 1:30 of the bake rather than the first 1:30. For me, I think it produces a bit more oven spring. Maybe. You might want to play around with that and see how it turns out for you.  I've also been playing around with cycling the broiler on and off in an effort to get more even browning. I'm still dialing that in.

How long are you kneading for and how smooth is the dough prior to bulk? You're so far advanced, a step like this might not be necessary, but if you wanted to take photos of the pre-bulk and post-balled dough, we might be able to help you tweak the knead a bit.

I think you're ready for Pendleton flour. That should bring a slight improvement over the KA.

pizzapan