Author Topic: Zelichan-Noobie's pies A journey to making a great pie  (Read 5368 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Zelichan-Noobie's pies A journey to making a great pie
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 02:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try to make some dough tonite. It'll be a 3 dayer as I'll cook Saturday nite. I wonder what the time limit is for cold fermenting?

Z,

If you are using the same dough formulation that you posted last, with 0.50% ADY, I think you should be fine for a three day cold ferment. You might squeak out another day, but that would depend on all of the temperatures to which the dough is subjected, which can vary from one home to another.

BTW, if you are using bread machine yeast, that is usually IDY, not ADY. So, if you are using bread machine yeast, you might lower that amount to 0.375%.

Peter

Offline zelichan

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
Z,

If you are using the same dough formulation that you posted last, with 0.50% ADY, I think you should be fine for a three day cold ferment. You might squeak out another day, but that would depend on all of the temperatures to which the dough is subjected, which can vary from one home to another.

BTW, if you are using bread machine yeast, that is usually IDY, not ADY. So, if you are using bread machine yeast, you might lower that amount to 0.375%.

Peter

Thanks for the reply. That recipe I used was just plugging in numbers into the calculator. I was shocked that it even turned out well. LOL

I'm thinking of using your Papa John clone recipe. My wife and daughter love their pizza. I think I'll be giving it a try this weekend. Wish me luck.  :)

Offline zelichan

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
Okay I'm trying a different dough this time. I'm going for the Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza recipe in reply number 24. It's a same day make. I followed the instructions to the letter. I did see that I used more IDY than 1/8 teaspoon. I used my scale and it seemed a good bit more. Oh well, I'm not sure how accrate the scale is but I got all the numbers spot on with it. My finished dough weight was 22.50 oz. The temperature was 82 degrees. So the numbers are somewhat close to Pete-zza's.

My daughter wants a meat lover's style pizza so that what we will be doing up.

Wish me luck.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 07:21:57 AM »
Z,

Yeast measurements can be tricky. You really need to have the right kind of scale to accurately weigh out small quantities of yeast. Also, yeast can change over time as it ages. For example, it can lose some of its leavening power with age, and it can pick up moisture from its surroundings if not properly stored. For these reasons, I usually suggest that users use the volume measurements for yeast produced by the dough calculating tools.

With respect to the dough ball weight, as you will note from Reply 311 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg156236/topicseen.html#msg156236, a PJ dough ball for a 14" pizza weighs around 20.25 ounces, plus or minus a quarter ounce. That is information that came after I posted in Reply 24 that you referenced. In your case, you can trim an ounce or two from your 22.5-ounce dough ball if you want to get a bit closer to a PJ dough ball weight for a 14" pizza.

Good luck with your pizza. Please let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Offline zelichan

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2012, 06:46:54 AM »
Z,

Yeast measurements can be tricky. You really need to have the right kind of scale to accurately weigh out small quantities of yeast. Also, yeast can change over time as it ages. For example, it can lose some of its leavening power with age, and it can pick up moisture from its surroundings if not properly stored. For these reasons, I usually suggest that users use the volume measurements for yeast produced by the dough calculating tools.

With respect to the dough ball weight, as you will note from Reply 311 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg156236/topicseen.html#msg156236, a PJ dough ball for a 14" pizza weighs around 20.25 ounces, plus or minus a quarter ounce. That is information that came after I posted in Reply 24 that you referenced. In your case, you can trim an ounce or two from your 22.5-ounce dough ball if you want to get a bit closer to a PJ dough ball weight for a 14" pizza.

Good luck with your pizza. Please let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Thanks for your reply. I got sidetracked yesterday. I got free ticket to the Georgia Throwdown Music Festival. I put the dough in the fridge. Today I will make a fresh batch with the proper lower amount of yeast. I will cook both batches and compare. This should help to show the contrast of time, yeast, temp.

Wish me luck.

Offline zelichan

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »
I finally made an excellent pizza. I say excellent because my daughter said it was the best she's ever eaten. I'll be using the Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza recipe again. It was amazingly easy to make into a round pie. My peel is only 12"dia. The pizza suffered some stuffling trying to get it on the stone as it was flopping over the sides of the peel.  :-D

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Edit:  I waited 90 minutes before cooking. The stone temp was 553 degrees. I forgot to put the rack in the higher position. I moved it up about 1/2 thru the cooking process.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 12:56:08 PM by zelichan »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
I finally made an excellent pizza. I say excellent because my daughter said it was the best she's ever eaten. I'll be using the Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza recipe again.

Z,

In the face of your daughter's praise, I don't think anything more needs to be said. However, sometime you might want to try the PJ emergency clone dough formulation at Reply 52 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg66312.html#msg66312. That is a good emergency clone dough formulation in my opinion.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:57 PM »
Z,
Looks great,congratulations!
Your pizza is sorta in the shape of a "D".....D for daughter....maybe this is a thing of fortunate luck for you. :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline zelichan

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 08:04:08 AM »
Z,

In the face of your daughter's praise, I don't think anything more needs to be said. However, sometime you might want to try the PJ emergency clone dough formulation at Reply 52 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6758.msg66312.html#msg66312. That is a good emergency clone dough formulation in my opinion.

Peter

Thanks I'll try that one as well. I feel like now I have a baseline. I'll be making that one each time. I'll also be making other doughs so I can keep on experimenting and having fun. Thanks for posting your work. I really appreciate it.

Offline zelichan

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »
Z,
Looks great,congratulations!
Your pizza is sorta in the shape of a "D".....D for daughter....maybe this is a thing of fortunate luck for you. :chef:

LOL I hadn't thought of that. It did get a little smushed getting it off the peel. It was really difficult and I thought I might mangle it beyond repair.  I've gotta bet a bigger peel for sure.  :-D

pizzapan