Author Topic: Thank you DKM!!! My first chicago style with pics!  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
Thank you DKM!!! My first chicago style with pics!
« on: November 09, 2005, 01:00:27 AM »
I am pretty new to the forum, but I'm not new to pizza making.  I worked in a pizza parlor for 4 years: slapping dough, cooking and topping.  For the last 2 years I've been making pizzas at home, but I haven’t had much luck.   I've had a lot of dough problems.  I tried a lot of recopies and added different ingredients.  My dough always came out bready and bland. 

About a month ago I was looking for a new dough recipe online and that was when I found www.pizzamaking.com.  I spent a couple of weeks reading over the posts, which really helped me to figure out what I had been doing wrong.  Next I decided to give DKM's thin crust a try.   It was by far the best pizza I had ever made.  So simple to make and yet the flavor of the crust was so complex.  I have now made 3 of these pizzas, all with the same results.

Following my success with DKM's thin crust recipe, I decided to attempt a Chicago style.  Being from the south I have never really had Chicago style pizza ( I’ve been to Chicago a couple of times but never tried their pizza, I will next time).   Once again I chose DKM's recipe, but I was very skeptical.  The addition of corn meal didn't sound good to me.  I love corn meal,  hell I grew up in the south.  We put corn meal on every vegetable and then deep fry it.  So I decided to substitute the corn meal for flour, but at the last minute I changed my mind.  I am using a bread machine to make my dough.  I first premix all liquid and dry ingredients separate, then add liquid and next add dry to bread machine.  I put it on dough cycle and I stop it after everything is mixed or forms a dough ball, which is about 3-4 minutes.  Other than using the bread machine I followed DKM's recipe.  I did make one mistake.  I didn't add enough cheese.  When I put the cheese in, I put the same amount I would have on a thin or hand tossed.  But the pizza still turned out great and the corn meal added a surprising great flavor and texture. The thick fat crust tasted so good with all the toppings and sauce.  I took 2 slices to work the next day, and microwaved them.  I swear the pizza tasted just as good or better.  My co-workers where all asking where did me get the pizza from and were gawking :>)  Thank you DKM!!!       

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Thank you DKM!!! My first chicago style with pics!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 01:21:49 AM »

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:22:36 AM »

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:23:25 AM »

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 01:23:56 AM »

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 01:32:43 AM »
I topped half this pie with a layer of creamed spinich and then a layer of a ricotta cheese mixture that I use for stuffing manicotti.  The other half I topped with meat balls cut in half and fresh onion.  I mixed chunks of fresh garlic and sautéd onions in the sauce.

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 01:41:47 AM »
This is a slice of the meatball side, that is a piece of fresh basil hanging from it.  As you can see I didnt put enough cheese on the pizza.  The crust was very thick, probably thicker than the recipie intended.  But it went really well with toppings.  I never felt like I was chewing a mouth full of bread, the crust was very moist.   

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 12:28:33 PM »
i dont have much to say except for, it looks absolutly amazing.

Awesome job

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »
Phillup,

I agree. That is one beautiful looking pie.

I have the baker's percents for DKM's deep-dish dough recipe (the one on the recipe page of the forum) and I have been working on an Excel spreadsheet to calculate the amounts of ingredients required to make deep-dish doughs for any pan size and depth. If you'd like me to run your numbers (pan diameter and pan depth) through the spreadsheet, I think I should be able to provide a dough formulation that will get you closer to the thickness of the crust of DKM's basic recipe. If you don't want to have the dough come completely up to the top of the pan, I should be able to also adjust the quantities for the specific depth you'd like to use.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 03:47:23 PM »
I'm glad your happy with the results.

The pictures look great.

And yes, one of the best things about deep dish is its just as good the next day 8)

DKM

I'm on too many of these boards

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 05:34:54 PM »
Outstanding looking pie! What type of pan did you utilize?

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 12:53:18 AM »
Looks mighty tasty, nice job.