Author Topic: Chef Boyardee pizza kit  (Read 73922 times)

Offline Justin91

Re: Chef Boyardee pizza kit
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2009, 11:55:47 AM »
OK...I was raised on Chef B pizza!  Well at least it was a special treat growing up...we my dad/mom would make it every other week or so. They always used the two pizza box and made a thick crust using a deep cookie sheet/pan. My wife and I do love the sauce...the crust is a little "bready", but the sauce is great.

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2009, 03:19:31 PM »
Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the CB PASTA box kits? Pasta, sauce, and the Kraft-style 'parmesean cheese product' used on their pizza kits?
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2009, 09:23:50 AM »
Slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the CB PASTA box kits? Pasta, sauce, and the Kraft-style 'parmesean cheese product' used on their pizza kits?

Yeah, I like those too. They have a special place in my heart also. :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Daevid

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2009, 06:36:46 PM »
Great thread here!  Making Chef Boyardee brings back a lot of memories for me and the sauce + the cheese---there's really nothing else like it! I always buy the two cheese pizza pack and make one of the dough packets while using all of the cheese and about 3/4 of the sauce.  I'm a St. Louis guy so the thinner the crust the better.  Anyone out there ever heard of Provel cheese? It's a cheese unique to St. Louis and St. Louis style pizza.  Very gooey and creamy.  People either seem to love it or hate it.  Unfortunately I'm about 400 miles from St. Louis now  :( but I can still (thankfully) order a five pound block.

I agree the CB pizza can get a little runny.  I've discovered that if you bake the crust by itself for 5 or 6 minutes on a cookie sheet and then put the toppings on, it turns out a lot better.  I like my pizza a little burnt around the edges so you might want to reduce that time just a tad if you want it lighter. .

Offline Chef_Boy-R-Dee

« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »
This was the first pizza kit that my dad and I made!!! We religiously made this every Friday night for years. I remember me sticking my fingers in the sauce b/c it tasted so good. We would make the pizzas and go sit in our screened in garage and say how great it was.

After a while we started to experiment with other pre-mix doughs and other canned sauces. Eventually, I pushed my dad to start to make his own dough...I was 8 or 9 at the time. It was the standard pizza dough recipe out there and was just ok. I was in charge of the sauce and used tomato paste mixed with water with spices. It slowly got better over time, and he laid a foundation for me to a dedication to pizza.

Fast forward 25 years...Now it's all about preferments, starters, canned whole tomatoes, fresh mozz, and super hot ovens...i love it...it turned into a wonderful obsession that was started by CBD and my dad.
"Simplicity is Complexity Resolved"

-Constantin Brancusi

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:06 PM »
On occasion, I will buy just the cans of the pizza sauce and cook and reduce it, as it tend to be watery. The richness is incredible. Well worth the trouble.
Does anyone else find that the grated cheese in the pizza kits is just amazingly tasty???

Offline bush2

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »
Next person to make one... Post pictures please!  :-D :chef:
buy bodybuilding supplements
Horses for Sale Pontiac  Parts - Discount  Parts - Free Shipping.Shop for Pontiac Grandville Parts from Car Parts Warehouse at wholesale price online. Visit Car Parts Warehouse to buy Pontiac quality replacement car parts

Offline VectorJ

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:31 PM »
I think the Chef Boyardee kit was the first food I was allowed to "help" cook as a kid. My grandmother and I used to make it when my brother and I visited over summers. I still love how gooey the crust is, but I just can't replicate the taste of those summer days... must be the secret nostalgia ingredient.

I make it with one flour packet, all of the cheese packet, and whatever sauce is left after I dip half a pack of Hormel pepperoni, one slice at a time, in the sauce and eat it. Man, I love those kits. Unfortunately, all my kids and my wife hate it, so it's a rare treat :-)

A few years back, I worked at Papa Johns. In order to make the sauce, we'd dump huge cans of sauce base in a five gallon bucket, then mix in the Papa John's spice packet (stirred with an attachment on a cordless drill). The sauce base tasted *exactly* like the Chef Boyardee sauce. 

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2010, 06:44:39 AM »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2010, 12:41:27 PM »
I decided that it has been too long since I had a Chef Boyardee, so I had to make one.  I decided to take it up a notch and use the modern methods that we are now using.  I mixed the dough with a fork and put it in the fridge.  The next day I balled the dough and kept stretching the outside to the inside and reforming it until it felt good.  It had a 48 hour cold ferment total and went into a 650 degree oven for 4 minutes.  It was great, very light and tender.  It must be very soft flower. 

Someone should set up rules for using only authentic ingredients and start a contest.  I am sure that would be a long thread.

Thanks,

Bob1

Offline Bob1

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »
oops, I accidentally hit the post.  Here is the rest.

Bob1

Offline Bob1

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2010, 12:45:56 PM »
Oops again,  Forgot another shot

Bob1

Offline scottm

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2010, 07:12:41 AM »
Geez that's a fine looking pizza! I certainly wouldn't have thought that was from a boxed kit!

Scott

Offline Bob1

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2010, 09:11:34 AM »
ScotM,
Yep,  It's just the box with 2/3 cup water as directed and bench flour.  I think I am going to weigh the ingredients and try a wet overnight poolish to see if I can get more flavor next time.  I think the key to the oven bounce was the 650 cooking temp.

Yhanks,

Bob1

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2010, 09:20:41 AM »
Damn!!!! You did good!!!! :o :)

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
My latest cbadpk.

NY style again. 18". Added cheese and pepperoni. :)

Offline tusti

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 02:55:14 PM »
"I'm a St. Louis guy so the thinner the crust the better.  Anyone out there ever heard of Provel cheese? It's a cheese unique to St. Louis and St. Louis style pizza.  Very gooey and creamy.  People either seem to love it or hate it."

I'm a St. Louis guy as well and when the topic of Provel cheese comes up, all I can say is that Provel cheese and the bottom of the owl cage can be put in the same category. It's true that many places in St. Louis that offer pizza do use Provel on their pies, but there are just as many that don't. In a lot of the places that do feature Provel, mozzarella can be had if you ask for it.

I believe the reason Provel is equated with St. Louis pizza is because Imo's, a St. Louis based chain that uses it, and they have a store on every other corner in the city and in the burbs. Lord help me, but I think they even have stores in Kansas City and scattered around elsewhere.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »
tusti,

Is it possible you posted in the wrong thread? I could not find any reference in this thread to Provel cheese. I also did a search and couldn't find the material you quoted. Can you tell me where you found it? Maybe I missed it.

Peter

Offline tusti

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Third post down from the top of this page.
The poster's name is Daevid. You need to read the WHOLE post.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
tusti,

Thanks. I couldn't see the significance to Chef Boyardee and I couldn't find the post you cited from when I did a search for it. I must be getting old.

Peter