Author Topic: 35 Best Pizzas in America 2012  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online TXCraig1

Re: 35 Best Pizzas in America 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »
I'm not a big fan of best pizza lists, and IMO, that is possibly the worst I've seen.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:40:34 PM »
I see DiFara on the NY list.  I didn't see Cane Rosso or the Garage on the Texas list.  Nuff said, it is a bogus list.  Period.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
I guess I'm very lucky to live within 10 miles of 2 of the places listed.
(Delorenzo's and Papa's)  ---pete---

Excerpt from posted article...
Washington, D.C., Pennsylvania, and New Jersey
Osteria, 2Amys, DeLorenzo's, Jumbo Slice Pizza, Papa's Tomato Pies

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »
I agree that these lists are usually pretty much bogus.

I look at things from a different perspective than many of you here. I haven't had the fortune to visit pizzerias all over the country (or world) like you guys have. I have only been to one of the places on the list; Spacca Napoli in Chicago. In fact, that was the first Neapolitan pizza that I ever had.

One thing that I did notice about this list though is that most (not all) of the pictures in the slideshow look pretty darn good to me. I have seen some of these lists where most of the pies pictured leave me wondering, how could these be the best?

Maybe we should compile a list of favorites. I think that the membership here would be a much better judge than most food critics.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Pizza3.14

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:51:56 AM »
With so many different tastes and opinions it might work best to give lists of about 10 and then start looking for overlap.  For some of us on the forum it might make a pretty good bucket list!

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »

Com'on with the attitudes...There are some good looking pizzas on the list and good pizza shops posted...Are we so good that we always have to criticize what someone else does?...Ask who were the best presidents in the US and you would get many answers...Lighten up with the criticisms...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
Com'on with the attitudes...There are some good looking pizzas on the list and good pizza shops posted...Are we so good that we always have to criticize what someone else does?...Ask who were the best presidents in the US and you would get many answers...Lighten up with the criticisms...

Ask who were the best presidents and the thread will get locked.  :-D

Seriously, why should critics be above criticism? IMO, lists like these are all but worthless. I said this one was one of the worst because of their methodology that forced 5 winners into each region even if other places excluded in other regions are clearly better. Reading their winners and noting the places that didn't make the list only further confirmed my belief. Don't read this to say I think every place on the list is bad.  nd when 18 of the 20 "American chefs, restaurant critics, and pizza authorities" refused to sign their name on it, I'm even less impressed. I'm curious who were the "pizza authorites" on the panel?

What would be the point of posting a list like this and not discussing it and the idea of best pizza lists?

CL

Offline Vesta Wood-Fired

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:54:00 PM »

Co. is definitely one of my favorites in Manhattan.  As well as another personal favorite Ovest. 

Offline scott123

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 06:10:29 PM »
 Co. is definitely one of my favorites in Manhattan.  As well as another personal favorite Ovest.

I'm not arguing Co., but Joe's, John's and DiFara?

This reads a lot like most famous pizzerias rather than best, which is how these best lists almost always pan out- fame over quality.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »

RJelli :chef:

Prussian Blue....my favorite color!  8)
OBVIOUSLY, those whipper snappers have never enjoyed one of my Gouda Love pies.....  :chef:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:23:17 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline petef

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 07:02:22 PM »
I agree that these lists are usually pretty much bogus.......

Maybe we should compile a list of favorites. I think that the membership here would be a much better judge than most food critics.

I wouldn't call the list bogus. To the average consumer, it's a good starting place for those looking to adventure on a search for the best pizza in a particular area. Once they try the places on the list they will have opportunity to talk to other pizza fanatics to get ideas of other places to try.

I also like your suggestion that we come up with our own list!!! Please, by all means, start a new thread. If it turns out well, it might get nominated as a sticky post.

---pete---

Offline petef

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 07:05:36 PM »
OMG, Bob, that's a real beauty!
---pete---

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »
I wouldn't call the list bogus. To the average consumer, it's a good starting place for those looking to adventure on a search for the best pizza in a particular area. Once they try the places on the list they will have opportunity to talk to other pizza fanatics to get ideas of other places to try.

I'm not sure the average consumer is a pizza fanatic or talks to pizza fanatics. I think it is more likely that it is someone who simply googles "best pizza" which unfortunately won't get them to Best Pizza (on Havemeyer) either.

If you went to NYC with this list how would you feel after if you went to Joe's or John's and didn't even know Keste, right between the two, might be a better choice?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
I'm not sure the average consumer is a pizza fanatic or talks to pizza fanatics. I think it is more likely that it is someone who simply googles "best pizza" which unfortunately won't get them to Best Pizza (on Havemeyer) either.

If you went to NYC with this list how would you feel after if you went to Joe's or John's and didn't even know Keste, right between the two, might be a better choice?

I guess you would be left feeling like Joe average pizza consumer...you win some you loose some. And, hopefully, you live and you learn...
And then next year try the next new list?   ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:09:44 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline petef

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 04:25:17 AM »

Good point! All the more reason we should come up with our own list.
---pete---

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:40 PM »
I really hate to see that Betolla wasn't included in the Southern region choices. Supposedly they are pumping out some really good pies using a great mixer and a Forno Napoletano oven. Very rarely does Alabama make the best of lists for anything though.... Atlanta reigns king.

And does Co. pie look burnt to anyone else? I love char on a pizza, but that looks like charcoal on some places.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:22:20 PM by rcbaughn »
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
I'm not arguing Co., but Joe's, John's and DiFara?

This reads a lot like most famous pizzerias rather than best, which is how these best lists almost always pan out- fame over quality.

Hey Scott... I think they missed Lombardi's.  >:D
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »

Unfortunately, I did exactly that in May (went to both of them). That was before I knew better.  :'(
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.