Author Topic: Brick your kitchen oven  (Read 2700 times)

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
Brick your kitchen oven
« on: November 09, 2005, 05:07:51 PM »
http:// I've created a brick pizza oven out of my home gas kenmore oven!  Here's what I did.   First I bought a 16" round pizza stone and a case of 6x6 red quarry tile from home depot.  Place the pizza stone on the bottom  oven rack then place 2 tiles verticle on each side of the oven wall through the rack. 

Now place the next rack 2 slots up from the stone and completely cover the rack with tile except for a small 6x6 hole in the middle.  The goal here is to force all the heat from the oven floor to travel over the top of the pizza and through the 6x6 opening.  Preheat the oven for 1 hour at 500.

I've cooked 10 pies already and each one has come out fantastic.  My thin crust pie cooked in 6 minutes! and the tip was brown and bubbly.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Brick your kitchen oven
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:56:01 PM »
dkipta,

What holds the vertical tiles in place? Do you have a photo that you can post?

Steve did something similar and reported on his setup at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,440.0.html. He left the top of his setup uncovered because he wanted to turn on the broiler to expose the top of the pizza to broiler heat. He talked about putting tiles on the top rack, but I don't know if he ever actually did that.

Peter

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 07:37:26 AM »
If I can be selfish here for a second:
Yesterday I stopped in a place I frequent and got a couple slices. I was talking to the owner about oven temps. and mentioned that I have a stone at home, but it's a small round one. He said how he got new stones in his oven recently. I said that I went to various places, and had a hard time getting unglazed quarry tile, without special ordering it. I would gladly buy one from him if he can order it. He goes in back and whips out a big box, opens it a there is a big 26x26 stone in there, bout 1/2 inch thick. He said I could have it because it's chipped,which it was, but only in a corner, smaller than a piece of bread. Apparently, the company shipped it, it cracked and they then sent a replacement, but didn't want the broken piece back. Free baby, free.
I am in pizza heaven. Looks like home made pizza for a week!! ;D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 08:22:23 AM »
I never did try my setup with a top. My goal was to mimic a wood/coal fired oven with the "dome" of the oven being as hot as I could get it, therefore I did not use a top layer of tiles... I cranked up the broiler so that the heat would radiate down on the pizza. Worked like a champ!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline dkipta

• 65 Econoline
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 08:36:49 AM »
The tiles on the side are just slipped through the lower rack so the rack and the bottom of the tiles hold them in an up right position.  The upper rack full of tiles can be adjusted so the radiant heat can be increased or decreased depending on how hot you want the top.

I was thinking of buying a hearth kit but after trying this, I have the control of adjusting the upper rack. 

When I first tried it, I couldn't believe the results!  My cheese was starting to bubble after only 2 minutes!

pizzapan