Since they all use the same cast door frame, maybe a hundred years ago there was only one company making those doors so they all used it and now it is tradition like so much of the Neapolitan pizza religion.
few comment on this great thread:
- yep, experience is key. Antoine and Xavier (FGM owner) will provide a lower door soon so we'll see the results.
- ovens' manufacturers don't provide many door sizes because of economic reasons. The ovens come in few parts and the arch/entrance of the oven is the most delicate part. They can't really afford to build a mold for the arch for each different size of oven.
- for me, the efficiency of the oven has more to do with the quality of the materials and the building process (vibration of the concrete, use of ssteel nidles,...). Size and position of chimney hole is also very important.
- if you lower the door, you may get more smoke in the oven. Not good. Also the fire will get less oxygen and may get less efficient
-the perfect ratio is 62-65% but starting 48" ovens, the ratio should decrease otherwise you get to much air
- Scott, Italians are certainly the pizza masters but French are the cooking masters in the world!
(sorry, a little bit of French arrogance...
I think the best pizza is the one you like. Millions of Americans eat junk pizzas and love them. It's just a question of food education and we work hard to food-educate people. Especially in this country where the lobby-processed food-GMO industries control almost everything.