Author Topic: Re: American Eating Habits (Split Topic)  (Read 2918 times)

Offline wotavidone

Re: American Eating Habits (Split Topic)
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 06:55:56 AM »
Well, not all of them.  The rest wear khaki shorts and wrestle crocodiles.
Not anymore. Steve Irwin had a run-in with a stingray and lost.

The flurry of replies to my original post has been very informative.
Here are some things I have learned:
1) Some Americans think honey comes from a bees arse. The rest of us know it is regurgitated by the bee. It's bee vomit, not bee %$#.
 try this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey  (I do hope Wiki is reliable, I just donated to their fund raiser.)

2) Obviously, Americans don't get the opportunity to skin many kangaroos, otherwise they'd never eat it.

3) Reuters, one of America's most famous news agencies, is an unreliable source of information.

4) At least one American knows where AC/DC started - unlike the bloke who reviewed the band for Easyrider magazine back in the '80s. He thought they were English.

5) I guy lost weight eating in Australia. Kinda proves my point, I think.

6) Americans, judging by the replies still coming after more than 12 months, are awfully insecure. Touched a nerve there did I? I, on the other hand, couldn't give a toss whether you blokes like vegemite or beetroot - all the more for me.

Cheer up chaps, there's lots I like about American culture.
Joan Baez. Levon Helm.
Southern Comfort - the drink and the movie.
Swamp People - there are bunch of people who know what they stand for and don't care what the rest of the world thinks. Wearing my Troy Landry T-shirt as I type.
(Can't handle that Turtle Man guy - he's nearly as cringe-making as Steve Erwin)
Then there's small block chevs, 302 c.i. Windsors - best little engine on the planet, jerky - all ya gotta do is dry it not cook it three times, you gave the world Rock n Roll, Martin Luther (I have a dream - what a wonderful speech) King .

Of course you also gave the world all that cabaret/show music crap - honestly, did anyone really like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis?
 We Australians have a really bad habit. We tend to idolise colourful criminals. I'd like to quote on of them now. In the words of Mark Brandon (Chopper) Read, HTFU ya mugs.
Farewell.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
Not anymore. Steve Irwin had a run-in with a stingray and lost.

The flurry of replies to my original post has been very informative.
Here are some things I have learned:
1) Some Americans think honey comes from a bees arse. The rest of us know it is regurgitated by the bee. It's bee vomit, not bee %$#.
 try this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey  (I do hope Wiki is reliable, I just donated to their fund raiser.)

2) Obviously, Americans don't get the opportunity to skin many kangaroos, otherwise they'd never eat it.

3) Reuters, one of America's most famous news agencies, is an unreliable source of information.

4) At least one American knows where AC/DC started - unlike the bloke who reviewed the band for Easyrider magazine back in the '80s. He thought they were English.

5) I guy lost weight eating in Australia. Kinda proves my point, I think.

6) Americans, judging by the replies still coming after more than 12 months, are awfully insecure. Touched a nerve there did I? I, on the other hand, couldn't give a toss whether you blokes like vegemite or beetroot - all the more for me.

Cheer up chaps, there's lots I like about American culture.
Joan Baez. Levon Helm.
Southern Comfort - the drink and the movie.
Swamp People - there are bunch of people who know what they stand for and don't care what the rest of the world thinks. Wearing my Troy Landry T-shirt as I type.
(Can't handle that Turtle Man guy - he's nearly as cringe-making as Steve Erwin)
Then there's small block chevs, 302 c.i. Windsors - best little engine on the planet, jerky - all ya gotta do is dry it not cook it three times, you gave the world Rock n Roll, Martin Luther (I have a dream - what a wonderful speech) King .

Of course you also gave the world all that cabaret/show music crap - honestly, did anyone really like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis?
 We Australians have a really bad habit. We tend to idolise colourful criminals. I'd like to quote on of them now. In the words of Mark Brandon (Chopper) Read, HTFU ya mugs.
Farewell.

WOW. Why are you being such a stereotypical dink about our country AND yours, or are you just trolling for biters??? I love a good debate but usually draw the line and try not to be insulting at entire cultures, countries and the people that live in them. Kind of dragging everyone down with you on both sides and I'm sure the neither appreciates it. And I only found this thread the other day and posted once, well twice now, wish I wouldn't have found it :-\ ???

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 10:31:41 AM »

Having not read most of this thread, I assume you mean Australia (rather than a specific place in Australia). Bon Scott and [Brian Johnson?] are/were both Scottish, though, right?

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
An excellent response to my original questions, thanks.
I must say though, I'm very passionate about food, just in a different way I guess.
I like it fresh, gathered myself if possible, and prepared with my own hands.
I grow my own when the seasons let me, I catch my own fish, I smoke food when the mood takes me, I brew my own beer when I feel like it, I kill my own chickens when I have them, eat eggs from my own chickens, etc, make my own dough (no oil ;)), built my own oven, and attendance at the dinner table for proper family meals is a family tradition. There is very little take out served at my table.
I guess it all comes down to I simply couldn't see how cooking bacon and onions in sugar or honey (which is just sugar syrup, albeit delicious, made by bees) can possibly be an improvement, which got me pondering how deep fried snickers, bacon maple doughnuts, waffles and pancakes dowsed in maple syrup, etc, could actually be any good for you, which got me thinking the first time ever I heard of any of these things America was involved, which lead me to "What is it with that?"
Maybe I just don't like sugar.
Anyway, I leave it there. There is no point in trying to reason with people who don't like beetroot on their burgers or vegemite on their toast. :-D
Regards,
Mick

So I am confused... how is it that you brew beer without using some form of ferment-able sugar?  Malted barley (either whole grain or extract) = sugar, honey, molasses, corn sugar whatever.  Yeast needs sugar to make alcohol... unless maybe you have something that the rest of the world doesn't know ::)
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
Of course I use sugar when making beer. My point was, you guys do such weird stuff with food that doesn't need it - like cooking bacon with sugar.
And inventing such culinary delights as deep-fried candy.
(By the way, I didn't start this thread titled American Eating Habits. I merely asked the question in another thread, and the flurry of replies prompted the moderators to split it off into its own thread. Their choice of title, not mine, I didn't realise this thread existed 'til just the other day. I must say, catching up made a very interesting read.)

And yes, Aimless Ryan, like a lot of other good Aussie bands, AC/DC was started by immigrants, often as a way of relieving the boredom of the migrant hostels. I wasn't claiming the lads were born here, just that the band was started here.
By the way, a little trivia. Whole Lotta Rosie was written about the sister of a guy I used to work with. Small world ain't it?

And yes Jackitup, after the vitriolic reaction to my questioning the apparent American fascination with taking perfectly good food and drowning it in sugar and fat I am now trolling for biters. You are such a bunch of sensitive insecure sooks that it's kinda fun. I just write something, and you all arc up!
If it ain't such a big deal, why are you all so het up about it?
I use fats and sugars where necessary, but only where necessary.
Anyway, although life is the longest thing any of us gets to do, it's too short to waste on people like you. This will be my last post on the subject. I will go off thinking that Americans overcook, over oil, and over-sugar their food. You will go off thinking that I'm a fool, but guess what? I couldn't give a rat's arse.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:38:15 PM by wotavidone »

Offline wahoo88

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
which got me pondering how deep fried snickers, bacon maple doughnuts, waffles and pancakes dowsed in maple syrup, etc, could actually be any good for you

Come on now, wotavidone, can we at least try to act sincere?  I'll bet you sat down and pondered this question for a while.

Have you heard the (admittedly trite) aphorism/quote "everything in moderation, including moderation"? It is evident from my candylike dough formulas that I have had the long internal debate with myself as to whether or not the pleasure I derive from putting a teaspoon of sugar in my pizza crust is worth the potential health risks associated with it, a question whose answer could only be determined after many sleepless nights. If in fact adding reasonable amounts of oil and sugar to your pizza dough will have measurable detrimental effects to your health, then I suggest you promptly seek medical attention. I am also surprised by your decidedly 'American' outlook on health indicators.

I [sic] guy lost weight eating in Australia. Kinda proves my point, I think.

I believe that weight change is a poor indicator of overall health change. In Australia, would I be considered unhealthy if I were trying to add muscle mass, as I am doing now?

Obviously, Americans don't get the opportunity to skin many kangaroos, otherwise they'd never eat it.

Another stunningly insightful observation, wotavidone.

I think what wotavidone wants out of this thread is an admission by all of us heathens that Australia is in fact, a superior place in general than the USA. Perhaps we should just throw in the towel so that he can give himself a pat on the back and feel good about himself.

American innovation is the reason why you're able to post your opinion on this global network we call the Internet, and while comparisons to bacon jam may seem absurd, there is something to be said about American's willingness to step outside of what is the norm. Maybe this explains why Australia's most prized brainchild is a byproduct of beer making...

Dan

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »
Of course I use sugar when making beer. My point was, you guys do such weird stuff with food that doesn't need it - like cooking bacon with sugar.
And inventing such culinary delights as deep-fried candy.
(By the way, I didn't start this thread titled American Eating Habits. I merely asked the question in another thread, and the flurry of replies prompted the moderators to split it off into its own thread. Their choice of title, not mine, I didn't realise this thread existed 'til just the other day. I must say, catching up made a very interesting read.)

And yes, Aimless Ryan, like a lot of other good Aussie bands, AC/DC was started by immigrants, often as a way of relieving the boredom of the migrant hostels. I wasn't claiming the lads were born here, just that the band was started here.
By the way, a little trivia. Whole Lotta Rosie was written about the sister of a guy I used to work with. Small world ain't it?

And yes Jackitup, after the vitriolic reaction to my questioning the apparent American fascination with taking perfectly good food and drowning it in sugar and fat I am now trolling for biters. You are such a bunch of sensitive insecure sooks that it's kinda fun. I just write something, and you all arc up!
If it ain't such a big deal, why are you all so het up about it?
I use fats and sugars where necessary, but only where necessary.
Anyway, although life is the longest thing any of us gets to do, it's too short to waste on people like you. This will be my last post on the subject. I will go off thinking that Americans overcook, over oil, and over-sugar their food. You will go off thinking that I'm a fool, but guess what? I couldn't give a rat's arse.

I think you're a idiot plain and simple
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 07:08:10 PM »
I think the problem is this, you come across, to me, as someone who's judging the book by the mass-media-cover. Put some effort into exploring this forum and you might see that your generalizations are simply that.

I had an opinion on this country before I came here, and much of what thought was true was not.

When you pose your questions to a well educated forum of food enthusiasts who make a lot of their foods from scratch, of course you're going to piss a few people off, your response of;

Americans, judging by the replies still coming after more than 12 months, are awfully insecure. Touched a nerve there did I? I, on the other hand, couldn't give a toss whether you blokes like vegemite or beetroot - all the more for me.

To be honest, it just screams juvenile. 

G'day ;)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
It's been a very long time since we've had to lock a thread, but this one has crossed the line. I'm probably to blame for not putting the kibosh on it from the start when I posted about topping one of my pizzas with bacon jam. Let's go back to talking about pizza, please. 

This thread is now locked pending review by Steve and the moderators. Contact Steve with issues regarding this action.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:31:47 PM by Bill/SFNM »