Well, not all of them. The rest wear khaki shorts and wrestle crocodiles.
Not anymore. Steve Irwin had a run-in with a stingray and lost.
The flurry of replies to my original post has been very informative.
Here are some things I have learned:
1) Some Americans think honey comes from a bees arse. The rest of us know it is regurgitated by the bee. It's bee vomit, not bee %$#.
try this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey
(I do hope Wiki is reliable, I just donated to their fund raiser.)
2) Obviously, Americans don't get the opportunity to skin many kangaroos, otherwise they'd never eat it.
3) Reuters, one of America's most famous news agencies, is an unreliable source of information.
4) At least one American knows where AC/DC started - unlike the bloke who reviewed the band for Easyrider magazine back in the '80s. He thought they were English.
5) I guy lost weight eating in Australia. Kinda proves my point, I think.
6) Americans, judging by the replies still coming after more than 12 months, are awfully insecure. Touched a nerve there did I? I, on the other hand, couldn't give a toss whether you blokes like vegemite or beetroot - all the more for me.
Cheer up chaps, there's lots I like about American culture.
Joan Baez. Levon Helm.
Southern Comfort - the drink and the movie.
Swamp People - there are bunch of people who know what they stand for and don't care what the rest of the world thinks. Wearing my Troy Landry T-shirt as I type.
(Can't handle that Turtle Man guy - he's nearly as cringe-making as Steve Erwin)
Then there's small block chevs, 302 c.i. Windsors - best little engine on the planet, jerky - all ya gotta do is dry it not cook it three times, you gave the world Rock n Roll, Martin Luther (I have a dream - what a wonderful speech) King .
Of course you also gave the world all that cabaret/show music crap - honestly, did anyone really
like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis?
We Australians have a really bad habit. We tend to idolise colourful criminals. I'd like to quote on of them now. In the words of Mark Brandon (Chopper) Read, HTFU ya mugs.