Author Topic: Re: American Eating Habits (Split Topic)  (Read 2655 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: American Eating Habits (Split Topic)
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
Would a thumbs up to the band AC/DC be too far off topic?  8)
Bon Scott liked American meat....products.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:06:45 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »
And I was going to say how much I liked Outback Steakhouse....  because that is real Australian food, right?  Right?  :P

Yes, I'm quoting myself.  I wasn't just being a smartass; I did have a point.  Our views of popular Aussie food are probably just as one-dimensional as your views of popular American food are.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
  Our views of popular Aussie food are probably just as one-dimensional as your views of popular American food are.
Totally agree with you Brian. Never could figure out how they could eat one of those cute little cawalla bears or a  kangaroo. 
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »
Kangaroo is a fine meat. Tastes very much like venison.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »
I guess it all comes down to I simply couldn't see how cooking bacon and onions in sugar or honey (which is just sugar syrup, albeit delicious, made by bees) can possibly be an improvement, which got me pondering how deep fried snickers, bacon maple doughnuts, waffles and pancakes dowsed in maple syrup, etc, could actually be any good for you

This statement to me is incorrect. It isn't about being good for you, I don't think anyone makes that claim anywhere. It's just about trying something different, call deep fried candy or such a fringe food. It's not something that anyone I know of eats daily, and I'm sure no one on here knows of anyone that does. Americans are portrayed as all fat grease loving individuals, and I myself enjoy that from time to time very much as an indulgence, but most know it is not healthy and regulate how much they intake. Not everything is extremely fatty or processed. Do you not ever enjoy ice cream or anything else with so called guilty nature BTW?

And we kill a good many hogs in the Fall and I wouldn't think twice about taking our homemade bacon and making it into bacon jam. And to me that is just about the highest form of bacon you could get since it's homemade and not "processed." It's not ruining it, it's just a different preparation than simply frying it. If you're eating bacon though you honestly aren't consider health at all and if that's what your looking for it's probably best to leave it out of the food your making, along with any other sources of fat/flavor.

And oil in dough does more than add nutritional fat. It changes the way that bread behaves when baked, texture and flavor when eaten, and the way it keeps in the bread bun. If it wasn't for the fat in eggs, the oil in dough, or the honey/sugar in it then you'd have to buy/bake everyday because your bread would go stale, and I for one don't feel like eating bread that feels and tastes like a day old baguette with my meal. Nor do I wanna have to handle dough every day despite loving the process. Time just doesn't allow it always.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
Well said.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »
Well said, Cory.  I agree that when it comes to baking, oil in the dough is not about making greasy fried stuff.  It's essential if you want any longevity to the product.

You know, it's funny, but I would usually be on the other side of the fence re sugar.  I don't care for it personally and as a parent of a borderline hyperactive kid, I don't keep sugary junk in the house.  But I just made up some hot honey today using locally made all-natural clover honey and ground chipotle pepper.  I love the taste, and I can't wait to BBQ something with it.

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 12:50:28 AM »
I love honey. It comes from a bee's butt and has a shelf life of something like a billion years. What is more natural than that?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
Yep, Ron Barcello Imperial, a very good choice.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 01:05:52 AM »
I love honey. It comes from a bee's butt and has a shelf life of something like a billion years. What is more natural than that?

Nothing at all. That resonates another thing though, and that's that processing some foods helps extend their shelf life. Most unprocessed food, whether it be very lightly done so or absolutely processed to death, don't last very long like honey and similar things do. That's pretty crucial to a lot of people with busy lives, and also convenient even to people like us on this forum that love being close to the food prep. It's just like making bread last longer with oil, fats, etc, not everyone has time to process a whole meal three times a day.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 01:20:14 AM »
Speaking of honey - anyone besides me thankful when it crystallizes in the jar and eat it with a spoon?  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 01:23:23 AM »
Speaking of honey - anyone besides me thankful when it crystallizes in the jar and eat it with a spoon?  ;D

Oh man that stuff is the bomb. I read about people taking it and putting it in some hot water to get rid of those and I almost cried. Have you ever had creamed honey?

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 06:02:55 AM »
Kangaroo is a fine meat. Tastes very much like venison.
I shot a deer a few months back. Deer hunting is legal here in Oz if you have the right permits - unlike shooting kangaroos, which you can't do unless you have a commercial licence or a farmer's cull permit in which case you aren't allowed to take the meat. I gotta say, venison is waaayyy better than kangaroo.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
The only time I tried kangaroo it was at a resort in NE Queensland. For all it know it was venison? I've eaten a lot of deer, and that's exactly what the "kangaroo"  tasted like to me.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »
I'd add that not all deer is created equal. For example axis deer, which are an exotic here, taste a lot better than the native whitetail which is what I am referring to as deer. 
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

The best!!!!

Offline Jinhua

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »
Please understand that I'm not making this post to be rude or start a fight. I really am curious.
I like the way there are forums where people are dedicated to using fresh ingredients to make freshly cooked healthy nutritious food, so I hope someone will enlighten me.
I work with a guy who hails from Vermont, and we discuss the differences between American and Australian food a lot.
The thing that strikes me, from our conversations, is that Americans seem dedicated to using preprepared/preprocessed food.
He thinks hot-dogs are great food, whereas we Aussies think they contain the parts of the animal that are unusable/inedible unless rendered/ground into a paste and disguised. Similarly he refuses to eat fresh corned beef, he maintains the stuff that comes in a can is the "right" one.
He was an adult before he found out that cakes can be made from ingredients like fresh eggs, you don't have to buy a cake mix with dried eggs in it. Cooking food destroys some of the nutrition. I'm not advocating eating only raw food, but I simply cannot understand the American fascination with processing everything so it is unrecognisable, cooking it multiple times.
I just Wiki'd bacon jam. Sounds delicious.
But really, if you wanted bacon and onion on your pizza, why would you first stew it for hours with sugar?
To me its like cooking the sauce before you put it on your pizza. If you use tinned tomatoes, they've been heat treated in the can, then cooked on the stove, then cooked on the pizza.
When I make pizzas, the food only gets cooked once while its in my hands. I don't deliberately add oil or sugar, except the little drizzle of olive oil on a margherita, and I simply don't understand why you would add oil and sugar to a fundamentally healthy meal, or cook it to death.
There is a slide show on reuters.com at the moment that celebrates American food culture. The first slide shows a bloke chowing down on a hot dog, the second slide shows a woman standing in front of a poster advertising such gems as deep fried snickers and maple bacon donuts.
Enlighten me please.
Regards,
Mick
From your description of your sources of information, you have a rather distorted concept of what Americans eat.  There is no question that too many of us eat too much of the foods that create obesity.  To some degree this is a problem of socio-economics.  But the growth in demand for fresh produce and unprocessed foods has been explosive over the past decade.  Supermarket chains devote many square feet to fresh foods and organically grown fruits and vegetables.  Chains such as Whole Foods are built on the offering of fresh, unprocessed and organic product as well as fresh cooked quality foods.  These foods come at a premium, and lots of folks cannot afford them.  I think if you are really interested in how Americans eat, you should find better sources of information that a Reuters slide show and a 1970 film clip.  It's like me thinking that every man in Australia carries a big knife and wears a crunched up cowboy hat.  G'day mate.

Offline jkb

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
Adding a teaspoon of oil and a teaspoon of sugar to 400g of saturated fat cheese and 400g of refined white flour takes pizza from healthy to unhealthy?

Offline jkb

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 04:22:31 PM »
   It's like me thinking that every man in Australia carries a big knife and wears a crunched up cowboy hat.  G'day mate.

Well, not all of them.  The rest wear khaki shorts and wrestle crocodiles.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
I'd add that not all deer is created equal. For example axis deer, which are an exotic here, taste a lot better than the native whitetail which is what I am referring to as deer.

I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between deer, kangaroo, ostrich or llama for that matter. All were good, all tasted very similar and as you, I've eaten a lot of game over the years, few that I did not like

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

pizzapan