Author Topic: Marchiano’s Bakery “Tomato Pies” Roxborough-Manayunk  (Read 3096 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Marchiano’s Bakery “Tomato Pies” Roxborough-Manayunk
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »
Steve took me on a tour of where he lived when he lived in Philly, the home he live in when he was born and other homes his family live in and also the one home Steve and his wife owned in the Philly area.  Steve told me what it was like to live in those areas.  I have never been to some of the places Steve took me.  It was very interesting to see the new places and hear about Steve's life when he live near Philly.

This was our second stop on the pizza tour after Pizza Brain in Philly.  

These are some pictures of Marchiano’s Bakery and the “tomato pie”.

I haven’t eaten many “tomato pies” in my life, but find them interesting.  Bob1 had brought me one “tomato pie” to market a little while ago and that “tomato pie” had a lot sweeter sauce.  

I think “tomato pies” are mostly popular around the Philly area, but they do sell “tomato pies” in other areas of the US.  I do like “tomato pies”, but think I like other types of pizzas better.  Really all “tomato pies” taste like are bread, sauce and Parmesan cheese, at least in my opinion.  The sauce on this “tomato pie” was very good.

Steve purchased a whole “tomato pie”.  They sure are big.   :-D

http://www.marchianosbakery.com/home.html

http://www.marchianosbakery.com/ordering.html

Norma
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:16:30 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Marchiano’s Bakery “Tomato Pies” Roxborough-Manayunk
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
Norma

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »
A Yunker !
Hold on to him..he's not used to walking on flatlands.

Interestingly enough, those tomato pies are never sold by pizzerias, rather by bakeries, and always served at room temperature.
They are closely related to, but not quite , Sicilian Pizzas.

perry

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
Looks good Norma,
I will have to give this place a try and see how it compares to Coroopolese and Conshohoken style.  I make a tomato pie for my daughter every week.  They are much healthier than all that cheese, that tastes so good.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
A Yunker !
Hold on to him..he's not used to walking on flatlands.

Interestingly enough, those tomato pies are never sold by pizzerias, rather by bakeries, and always served at room temperature.
They are closely related to, but not quite , Sicilian Pizzas.

perry

Perry,

I also find it interesting that those "tomato pies" are always sold by bakeries and are served at room temperature.  I think I like Sicilian pies better, but "tomato pies" are interesting.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
Looks good Norma,
I will have to give this place a try and see how it compares to Coroopolese and Conshohoken style.  I make a tomato pie for my daughter every week.  They are much healthier than all that cheese, that tastes so good.

Bob,

I forget the name of the other bakery Steve was going to take me to for a "tomato pie", but they wouldn't be open until 4:30 and I think Steve said you had to order those pies a day in advance.  If Steve sees this post maybe he can name the other bakery that he was going to take me to.

I can understand the "tomato pies" would be healthier without all the cheese.   ;D

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 04:46:19 PM »
Norma,
 That wasn't a bakery or a tomato pie I had in mind. It was Tacconelli's Pizzeria. They do have a "tomato pie", but I think it's an actual pizza without the cheese. I've never been there but have wanted to check it out for some time. They recommend ordering your dough(pizza) the day before.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »
Ev,
I actually stopped and waited a half hour to pick one at 4:30 coming back from NJ.  It was different but I found it rather bland and not worth the trip.  They use cheese.  I also got a white pie and thought that it was nasty with a burnt garlic powder taste.  I would never go back.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »

In their defense, the pies do not travel well, and eating them at the restaurant is advised.
It is a bit pricey for pizza, but they are always busy, and they sell every dough ball they can make, so you can't blame them for making a profit.
The going rate for a pie is 18.00 or so , and up...they've been charging that for as long as I can remember...and I can remember when if you asked for water, they went in to  the family fridge at the back of shop and brought out a pitcher.

My favorite, and worth the price of admission, is the white pie, topped with spinach and tomatoes

Their menu:
• Tomato Pie consists of no cheese and a lot of sauce.
• Regular Pie consists of little cheese and sauce.
• White Pie consists of salt, black pepper, cheese and plenty of garlic.
• Margerita Pie consists of fresh basil and fresh mozzerella.
• Toppings include:
Spinach, Whole Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Pepperoni, Sausage, Sweet Peppers, Anchovies, Onions, Prosciutto, Basil and Extra Cheese.
You may wish to order all of one topping on a pie or half and half. We do not suggest more than three toppings on a pizza.

You are welcome to bring beer and wine only.

Please Note: Since your pies have been reserved for you, we kindly ask that you take what you have reserved.
It's recommended to call ahead to reserve your dough, but its not always necessary.

The best time to call is between Wednesday and Sunday after 10:00 a.m.

Offline Ev

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
Thanks for the conflicting reviews, fellas! :-D  I appreciate your input. :D  I'll try it sometime, for sure. It may well suck, but the only way to know is to try it myself. 8)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »
Tac's is old school with an oil fired oven..you don't see those every day.

Offline Ev

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 05:35:45 PM »
Wow, no kidding?! :o  I was wondering and half thinking it was either coal or wood. Their web-site doesn't say.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
Norma,
 That wasn't a bakery or a tomato pie I had in mind. It was Tacconelli's Pizzeria. They do have a "tomato pie", but I think it's an actual pizza without the cheese. I've never been there but have wanted to check it out for some time. They recommend ordering your dough(pizza) the day before.

Steve,

I remember now.   ;D  Before I had just remembered you saying about another "tomato pie" and them recommending that it should be ordered the day before.

Norma

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
No kidding.
The oven is huge...and not unlike a home oil furnace.

http://www.22ndandphilly.com/2011/08/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about.html

Offline Bob1

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Thanks for the conflicting reviews, fellas! :-D  I appreciate your input. :D  I'll try it sometime, for sure. It may well suck, but the only way to know is to try it myself. 8)

Ev, Don't get me wrong the regular pie did not suck but it was not that great, especially for the price, and rather plain.  However the white pie with garlic did suck.  I cannot believe they used garlic powder and let it burn.  In fact I threw 6 slices away.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
No kidding.
The oven is huge...and not unlike a home oil furnace.

http://www.22ndandphilly.com/2011/08/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about.html

pizzaboyfan,

Wow, that oven is neat.  8) Thanks for posting about it.  :)

We also were going to go to a street truck pizza in Phila. (forget the name, but maybe Steve remembers the name), but the guys at Pizza Brain looked-up where it was located on their cells and sadly they were having a private event for the day we were in Philly.  I think it was around Love Park if I remember right. 

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »
Norma,
My wife and I went to Marchiano's today.  I was really surprised at how many famous people have been there.  We got a tomato pie that I liked.  The sauce was very fresh with a little herb and a lot of garlic.  I prefer Conshohoken and Corroplese because they have much more herb flavoring.  We also got a Pepporoni and Cheese , Sweat Oregananta, Dipping Sauce, and loaf of Italian bread.  The Oreganato and Pep Stromboli reheated very well and the dipping sauce went well with both.  I will try the bread later today.  I really wanted the Spinach and Cheese Stromboli but they were sold out.  I also noted that there were many orders bagged and tagged waiting for pick up.  I will definitely go back again, thanks for pointing it out.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
Norma,
My wife and I went to Marchiano's today.  I was really surprised at how many famous people have been there.  We got a tomato pie that I liked.  The sauce was very fresh with a little herb and a lot of garlic.  I prefer Conshohoken and Corroplese because they have much more herb flavoring.  We also got a Pepporoni and Cheese , Sweat Oregananta, Dipping Sauce, and loaf of Italian bread.  The Oreganato and Pep Stromboli reheated very well and the dipping sauce went well with both.  I will try the bread later today.  I really wanted the Spinach and Cheese Stromboli but they were sold out.  I also noted that there were many orders bagged and tagged waiting for pick up.  I will definitely go back again, thanks for pointing it out.

Bob,

Glad you got to try out Marchiano’s today.  I was thinking about purchasing some Stromboli when I was there, but we didn’t have a cooler along.  Steve had ordered our tomato pie the day before.  If it wasn’t for Steve, I wouldn’t have know about Marchiano’s.  I only posted the pictures.

Let us know how you like the loaf of Italian bread.  I found a little Italian Bakery in downtown Lancaster yesterday that I didn’t know was there before.  I purchased a broccoli salad and they gave me a piece of their bread with the salad.  It was good.  I also purchased a few Italian cookies.  They were good too.  I saw they have some little things that looked like some kind of pizza, but didn’t purchase any.  I will be back in downtown Lancaster on Wednesday and will check them out again.

Norma   

Offline Bob1

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »
Here are some pictures of the Pep & Chez, Italian bread, and Oregnato ring.  The Pep & Chez was good.  I liked the Italian bread but it was rather dense.  I also liked the Oreganato but my wife did not.  The Oreganato is a bit dry but you can use dipping sauce.  The Oreganato appears to be a simple sheeted dough covered in oil and spice, rolled, and then shaped into a ring.  I assume there is another name for their Oreganato but I did not find anything with google.  Maybe some one has seen other people making these and can comment.

Bob

pizzapan