Author Topic: Reheated pizza  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Reheated pizza
« on: January 19, 2004, 03:46:36 PM »
Yesterday, I made one of my "best ever" thin-crust pizzas. I ended up undercooking the crust because the toppings were starting to burn.

The pizza was good, but it lacked the crackery cripness that I was hoping to achieve.

Today, for lunch, I took a cold leftover piece and pondered the best way to reheat it. I usually just zap it in the microwave for 10 or 20 seconds which heats the slice up nicely, but the crust is always soft.

Today I tried something new... I took a frying pan and put it on the stove. I cranked the burner to "high" and let the pan get hot. The pan was dry, no oil.

Once hot, I plopped the slice of pizza in the pan and checked the bottom every 30 seconds or so. After several minutes, the bottom of the pizza turned a nice golden brown and the cheese started to soften up. I put the slice in a napkin and chowed down...

The results: Pizza BETTER than "fresh out of the oven"... The crust had nice crispness and toothiness to it... the toppings were somewhat hot and the cheese perfectly melted. It was a "perfect" cracker pizza... it had just the right amount of crispness!

Now to get it to come out of the oven this way...  ???
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Reheated pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 04:03:02 PM »
What kind of oven do you have?

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 01:10:10 AM »
Wow I might have to try this with an entire pizza.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 08:01:02 AM »
What kind of oven do you have?

I have a standard kitchen electric dual-oven wall unit (Whirlpool). The reason for the undercooking of my thin crust was due to the fact that the Chicago pie was occupying the oven that I normally cook with pans. My top oven has pizza tiles installed on the bottom shelf and is used exclusively for my NY style pizzas. The tiles act as a heat baffle which I find less desirable for making thin crust (I put the cutter pan on the lowest rack directly over the heating element which superheats the bottom of the pan and produces a crisp crust.)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline naschol

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 07:29:42 PM »
I "fry" my leftover pizza all the time.  The only difference is that I usually warm it up a bit in the microwave, first, and then finish it off in the fry pan.  I have found that the bottom gets crispy and the cheese is really melted doing it this way.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 07:27:46 AM »
I take mine straight from the freezer to the oven for a very crisp crust.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 11:25:35 AM »
I put my in a cold oven then turn it own.  Cheese melts nice and crust turns out real good.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards