Author Topic: Drexel Hill Style Pizza, Broomall on Steveís and My Pizza Tour (Greek Style)  (Read 1523 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
This was the last pizzeria we visited.  In a matter of a few hours we tried pizzas from 4 pizzerias.  I didnít see a website for Drexel Hill Style Pizza, but this is their menu.

http://www.allmenus.com/pa/marple/288977-drexel-hill-style-pizza/menu/  

This was one kind of Greek style pizza Steve remembered from long ago, but Steve said it wasnít his favorite.  He told me he didnít think the cheese and sauce were applied to the edges like Greek Styles here on the forum, but we would wait and see when we got there.  Drexel Hill Style Pizza is owned by Greeks and first opened in 1968.  

The pizzas were already sitting in the steel pan with sauce and cheeses already applied.  Steve was right that the sauce and cheese werenít applied to the edges like here on the forum.  

Steve and I were getting perturbed that it was taking so long to bake the pizza.  We both thought that the pizza would be too dry from the long bake.  We didnít time the bake, but it was long for a 10Ē pizza.  It can be seen in the picture of the ovens (to the left of the ovens), the stack of pizzas piled up waiting to be baked.  I wonder how the dough doesnít proof too much sitting at room temperatures.  

I think Steve and I could taste the cheddar in the cheeses, and this pie was good, but would have been a lot better if it wasnít baked as long.  The young gal tending to the pizzas and oven sure didnít seem like she checked them very often and seemed to just go back in the room.

Maybe Steve will post on how he remembered these pizzas from years ago.  Steve remembered that the building that Drexel Hill Style Pizza is in was a firehouse at one time.  There were pictures on the wall of the firehouse.  

Norma
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:27:59 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Definitely over done and thinner than I remembered it. :( Of course though, it's been over 20 years since I was there last. ::)

Offline Bob1

Holy cow,
I just went there a couple of months ago based on Ev's suggestion.  I asked them if they moved from Drexel Brook and used to be called California Style Pizza.  That is the place that delivered to my grandmother's house when I was a kid and we loved it.  They said they were partners but split many years ago.  I really loved it, in fact I stopped about a month ago and picked an extra one up for my brother.  He also loved it and thought it was like the old days.  So far I have had 5 and they were not done quite so much.  As far as the cheese goes they always used to have only a small amount of cheese on the crust but that little bit was always my favorite.  I only have a few Greek places that I know of but this is by far my favorite.  I have not tried it at this place but when I have ordered Greek from other places I always ask for no extra cheese but to spread it on the non sauced crust.  Two of the local places would always do this for me.

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Bob,

Steve and I knew the young gal left that pizza in the oven way too long.  I wished we would have timed how long that pizza was in the oven. 

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Bob,
 Another place I remember from my youth was Nick's in Morton, Pa. That was greek style and very good at the time. I don't know if they're still there now.
 Then there was Cape Cod style pizza in Holmes, right on McDade Blvd. This was unlike any other pizza I've ever had. I'm pretty sure they're gone now too.  :'(  After all, I'm going back over 40 years now.

Offline Bob1

Thanks Ev,
I used to go to a Nick's in Norristown, PA years ago that had great Greek Pizza.  You would order and he would always say "Ten minute" and hang up.  The only bad thing was that he used to just put the pie in the cardboard box with no wax paper.  If you did not pick it up quick it would start to pick up the card board flavor.  I guess Nick's is one of the most common names in the Greek community.  I just googled "Nick's Pizza" and got 566,000 hits.  I travel a lot for work so I may just start looking for Nick's because no one advertises Greek style.  This may end up being a great tool. 

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Good idea Bob. Maybe I'll do that too. 8) Good luck!