Author Topic: a thin crust experiment  (Read 1455 times)

Gregg

a thin crust experiment
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »
I like to make dough using blends made with different types of flour. My latest experiment was one using a 1:1 ratio of Italian tipo "00" flour and cake flour. Made one day in advance, risen at room temperature for a couple of hours, placed in the refrigerator overnight before forming into a pair of crusts 7 inches in diameter. Both were topped with 2 oz each of sauce, whole milk mozzarella, Italian sausage, and one had onions. Baked on a preheated stone at 450° for 11 minutes.

The results were very good, with the crust striking a balance between crisp and chewy. It's one that will definitely be made again.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: a thin crust experiment
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:41:10 AM »
Boy, I like the looks of that...especially the last bottom pic. I'm excited about your experimenting with different flours Gregg and gonna give some a go too. I have 00 flour. What, if any, do you feel the difference is in bf vs cf in pizza dough making?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »
nice going Gregg!  those look absolutely delicious!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
After taking dough from frig, how long before you rolled them?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Gregg

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 03:27:19 PM »
The dough made with cake flour has a slightly lighter texture, probably due to its containing small amounts of cornstarch and baking soda. It was out of the refrigerator 1.5 - 2 hours before being rolled out.

Offline BTB

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:39:59 PM »
Excellent experiment, Gregg, and thanks for the photos that help us see what a great job you did on those pizzas.  They looked delicious and make me hungry for one.                                       --BTB

pizzapan