Author Topic: The Pizza Book by Evelyne Slomon -great  (Read 9877 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: The Pizza Book by Evelyne Slomon -great
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »
Now that I've re-read the pizza book, it's really not that great after all. We've come a long way in our pizza knowledge since this was published in 1984!

I wonder what is so different today then what has been done back in the old days? I think if you take tradition into consideration, Evelyne's book is a good as it gets. And I'm not talking dough sheeters, conveyor ovens, commercial proofers, etc.

Granted, things have changed but the great pizza places around the world still use the simple, traditional approach I'd like to believe. Isn't that the way to go?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »
My comment wasn't a criticism as much as a statement to the fact that there is so much more information available to today's home pizza maker. I like Slomon's simple, traditional dough and the overall theme of her book, I'm just saying that's there's nothing earth shattering in the book regarding ingredients or techniques and for sure the wood fired and home hacked creations that everyone is aware of today does make this read a bit dated. Still a good resource, especially for a beginner of for someone who likes to experiment with different toppings and ingredients. No disrespect to Ms. Slomon! 8)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »
DMC,

I didn't think your post was criticism.

My reply to yours was merely asking a few general question and wasn't intended to point a finger at you or to suggest criticism.  ;)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 07:15:43 PM »
Slomonís book is a valuable part of a pizza library.  Itís important for pizza history and particularly important for its descriptions of the various of styles.  Except for some of her comments about wheat and flour, her descriptions of ingredients and sauces are insightful, which is not surprising considering her background.  I think she said the 30-Minute Pizza chapter was forced on her by the publisher.  The book doesnít cover preferments, retardation, sourdough, or high-temp baking in any detail.  It lacks weight measures.  However, it rewards a careful read.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »
She got me using heckers flour for a full year of production...i used to swear by it

pizzapan