Author Topic: KASL and KA Bread Flour  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Buhsman

• I Love Pizza!
KASL and KA Bread Flour
« on: November 10, 2005, 12:38:29 PM »
There is a big difference in these two flours??  I've been using KA Bread Flour and finally got 20lbs of KASL delivered this morning.  I made my normal batch using:

366g Flour
231g Water
6g Salt
4g Olive Oil
1g IDY

The KASL seemed softer and stickier right out of the mixing bowl.  I would have thought it would have been just the opposite?  Would this be normal or do I need to kneed the KASL longer.  I usually kneed for 8-9min.  Finished dough temp was 81.6 deg, same as it usually is after about 9min with KA Bread Flour.  I did everything exactly the same as I do with KA bread flour but the dough seems different.  I guess I'll know more tommorow after I take it out the fridge..  I guess I would just like to know if this seems right??

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: KASL and KA Bread Flour
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 01:34:12 PM »
Kyle,

The KA bread flour is around 12.7% protein. The KASL is around 14.2%. I don't recall reading the absorption rate of the KA bread flour but it should be bit less than for the KASL, which is 63% +/- 2%. From this data alone, I would conclude that the KASL should knead up a bit more densely than the KA bread flour and that it will take a bit longer to knead the KASL dough. However, in a normal setting there are a lot of variables that can affect what you get at any given time. So I wouldn't try to read too much into what you experienced. What will be more important is the results you get. I hope you will let us know how the KASL compares with the KA bread flour you have been using.

BTW, who was the source of your KASL?

Peter

Offline Buhsman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 01:50:54 PM »
Ya, I was using 63% hydration, this has seemed to work the best for me so far.  I will let you know how it turns out, most definitely.  That's funny, I was just going to edit my post to let everyone  know where I got the flour from.  Here it is:

http://josasoldcountrystore.goemerchant7.com/

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 02:07:18 PM »
Looking just at the 20-lb. quantity, I wondered whether it was josaoldcountrystore since KASL sells in either 3-lb. bags (mail order) or 50-lb. bags (through distributors and other intermediaries). For the benefit of our members, you can buy the KASL from josaoldcountrystore by the pound. I don't know anyone else who does that.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 02:09:09 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Buhsman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 02:37:54 PM »
The KASL was shipped in 1 plastic bag with aprox. 5lbs(for immediate use!!) and 2 plastic bags with aprox 7.5lbs, all wrapped in bubble and paper shipped USPS.  Perfect because the 2,  7.5lb bags fit perfectly into my somewhat crammed freezer! This pizza making thing is WAY to interesting!!  Especially when you are a "technical type person", such as I and many others on this site from what I've seen.  Oh, don't get me wrong,  it's a lot of fun too!!

Thanks Peter,

Kyle

Offline Buhsman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »
OK,  here are my results!  The dough, after sitting in the fridge for 24hrs and setting at room temp for an hour, turned out absolutely perfect.  There was also some differences in how the dough handled.  I actually twirled it in the air to shape it, it was amazing.  First time i every tried it.  The dough just felt like it could handle it.  As far as flavor, I couldn't tell much difference.  The crust texture was noticebly different.  It was chewy but not nearly as tough as the crust made with KA Bread Flour.   Here are some pics:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 05:14:56 PM »
Kyle,

Very nice job. It looks like you got a good open crumb.

I think with experience you will pick up on some the subtle differences from using the KASL.

Peter

Offline josasjam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 01:03:54 AM »
Hi,
This is Josa....I ship out a lot of sir Lancelot flour all over the US.  I use the Sir Lancelot flour but, I also use the King Midas by Conagra Mills.  It's also a high gluten flour and works really well.  I also use the Sir Galahad Artisan which is an unbleached All Purpose flour and I add wheat gluten to it and I get a beautiful light, soft loaf of bread.  You can do the same thing with King Arthur.   

Offline Buhsman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 09:49:47 AM »
Thank you Peter,  I can now do some experimenting with the KASL thanks to Josa. By the way, Hi Josa, thanks for getting this flour to me.  I will be ordering it from you when ever I need more, might even try some of the ones you suggested!!  Keep it ready because this pizza making is a blast as well as very rewarding.  It probably won't take me long to go through 20lbs!!!!!!

Oh, it is OK to keep flour in the freezer, isn't it, and can you use it immediately after taking it out or should you let it set out for a while.  Have to remember I've hardly ever used flour,  Well, except for the last couple of months!

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline josasjam

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 12:23:34 PM »
Hi,  Josa here.  You should let the flour get to room temp. The yeast will not work.  My grandmother used to warm the flour when she baked and warmed the sugar when she made jam.