Author Topic: Re: Cat Pictures  (Read 8602 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Cat Pictures
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »
These are some stray kittens that we brought up to be adopted this year.  They were all adopted.  This one other creature thinks he is a cat and eats with the outside cats.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2012, 12:09:50 AM »
Have you picked him up?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2012, 07:04:47 AM »
Have you picked him up?

Craig,

No, I haven't tried to pick him up.  Do you think I am nuts.   :-D  Sometimes if he, or his child, is outside they will play possum.  I have pictures of him trying to play possum.  I can get close to him, but since he is a wild animal I would not trust trying to do anything to him.  Lots of times we have to shoo him off the porch.  He eats a lot more cat food than the cats do and also makes a mess.

Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: Re: Cat Pictures
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2012, 07:15:09 AM »
One of my friends families did that with a raccoon they found as a baby. They raised it and eventually let it live outside, but they'd let it come in the house sometimes after that. I wouldn't have been so brave. :-D
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2012, 07:20:04 AM »
One of my friends families did that with a raccoon they found as a baby. They raised it and eventually let it live outside, but they'd let it come in the house sometimes after that. I wouldn't have been so brave. :-D

Cory,

Your friends family was brave.  They probably saved the baby racoon's life.

I never tried to raise any wild animals, except for a few birds.

Norma   

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
Guess I need to come up with some sort of name for her since I'm giving her scraps. LOL.

How about "Scraps" or "Scrappy"

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »
" Mooch " or " Moochie "    ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2012, 08:20:50 AM »

I never tried to raise any wild animals, except for a few birds.

Norma   

I once caught a one legged crow in the yard. Her one leg was just hanging on by a piece of skin so I removed it. I named her Ilene. I kept her for several weeks before letting her go. When I opened the cage, she flew to a tree over the creek, but having only one leg, she she couldn't perch and fell into the creek which was swollen with rain and running fast. I watched her float clean out of sight. I felt bad but thought, Oh well, that's that. Then, believe it or not, two hours later I looked out front and that darn crow is sitting in my front yard! So, I brought her back in, but sadly, she died a couple weeks later.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2012, 08:32:17 AM »
Awww, that's too bad. Maybe your crow had infection from loosing here leg prolly. I have hummingbird feeders and one time one of those little guys flew straight into the back patio glass door an knocked it's self out. I carried it into the kitchen and dripped some water onto it from the sink. When that bird came to it must have taken an hour to get that thing outta the house.   ;D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
Did you know that opossums are actually marsupials like kangaroos and koalas? They are the only marsupials to live in North America. Their hind feet have opposing thumbs. When they "play possum" their anal glands secrete a foul smelling liquid that makes them smell like a dead animal.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
Did you know that opossums are actually marsupials like kangaroos and koalas? They are the only marsupials to live in North America. Their hind feet have opposing thumbs. When they "play possum" their anal glands secrete a foul smelling liquid that makes them smell like a dead animal.
I know me and my dog Bo hate those things. They seem to always appear at night when it has been raining out. Bo mangles 'em up and I usually find one laying on the driveway after a good hard rain.   :chef:

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »

Don,

I didn't know that information.  Thanks for posting it!   ;)  I guess mine didn't really feel threatened, because I never smelled a foul smelling anything.

Norma

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2012, 09:56:20 AM »
I know me and my dog Bo hate those things. They seem to always appear at night when it has been raining out. Bo mangles 'em up and I usually find one laying on the driveway after a good hard rain.   :chef:

Chef hat again, Bob?  What exactly are you doing with your roadkill?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline juniorballoon

• Supporting Member
    • Sirfoodalot
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
Wow Norma, that is a lot of kitties. Do you work with a cat rescue group? Is it hard not to get attached before they get adopted?

jb

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
It's a familiar sight to me... over the years we've captured and found homes for 150+ kittens.  After the first few times, you kind of get used to it, and are just happy to see them become used to people, then turn into little lovebugs.  You know they will have a good home because you check out the adopters.    Makes you feel good that the kittens aren't out there somewhere starving.   Of course you get a few here and there you just can't part with.   That's why we have 8 cats - but they are all "best of the best", each one unique and irreplaceable.   I have 5 big guys that fight over my lap whenever I sit down. 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »
Wow Norma, that is a lot of kitties. Do you work with a cat rescue group? Is it hard not to get attached before they get adopted?

jb

jb,

No, I donít work with a cat rescue group, but my daughter volunteers at our local Humane League.   Some of the kittens I did get attached to, especially two little ones that we found outside last  year, (March) that we thought they were dead.  They were so tiny that we had to bottle feed then every few hours and also make them urinate by getting a wet cloth and wiping.  

I know we canít take care of all of cats and really donít have that much money to do it either.  The Humane League has days that cats are free for adoption.  We also placed signs in local pet shops so the kittens could be adopted.  

That litter I posted was from two outside cats.  We also had just as many last year.  Each kitten had its own personality, just like people do.  There was one kitten named Tipps that I was especially fond of, but she went to a good home.  We do get to hear from some of the owners.

The only problems we have found just this year is all the dogs and kittens are getting more fleas.  In the last month and a half, just for the inside kittens and dogs we have spent over 300.00 for flea medicine.  We have to get some tomorrow too.  The vets said this year is really bad for fleas and the regular stuff that usually works doesnít work this year.

Brian has probably taken care of a lot more kittens and cats then we have.  ;D  He is a gem.

Norma
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:31:05 AM by norma427 »

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »
Most of the time, I only feel semiprecious.  :-D  It's when I can do good things for others (either people in my community or animals) that I really feel blessed.

That's interesting about the fleas.  I've observed the same thing, but thought I must have missapplied the Advantix somehow.  Not easy to hold the cat and squeeze out the medication at the same time.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
Norma,
Here is how you save over 80% on your pets flea meds...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONTLINE-PLUS-KIT-TOOLS-DOGS-CATS-/271061717159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1c8990a7

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/saving-money-on-pet-costs-frontline-plus-flea-medication.html

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/homesteading-questions/274012-advantage-frontline-dosage-weight.html

Frontline Plus is the best IMO and I've used them all believe me. If you look at ingredients on cat and dog packs the med. is the same. I have one cat that has used the dog med for years and is perfectly fine with it.
The single dose price is the same for a small animal or a large animal....that is how they get you$$$!
Only buy the large dog size, it has enough in it to do like 6 cats, get it? ;)
The dosing syringe does not have a needle on it, easy to use. And the dark colored vial you store the med in helps to keep it fresh(no sunlight).

Some vets will give you the vial and syringe but everything is way cheaper on e-Bay or Sams club.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:13:26 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »
I used to buy from a place called Value Vet (a veterinarian in Iowa(?) that I found over the net), but I've found that Frontline is even cheaper at Costco. I also by the "big dog" size, and use a syringe to give an appropriate dose to the cats. I keep the rest in a small vial out of sunlight.

I feel lucky that we haven't had a flea problem here this year, although our cats are the indoor variety. Unlike that past couple of years, I haven't even given them a single dose of Frontline, and they aren't scratching (and neither are we ;D).

Barry
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:40:22 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
Norma,
Here is how you save over 80% on your pets flea meds...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONTLINE-PLUS-KIT-TOOLS-DOGS-CATS-/271061717159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1c8990a7

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/saving-money-on-pet-costs-frontline-plus-flea-medication.html

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/homesteading-questions/274012-advantage-frontline-dosage-weight.html

Frontline Plus is the best IMO and I've used them all believe me. If you look at ingredients on cat and dog packs the med. is the same. I have one cat that has used the dog med for years and is perfectly fine with it.
The single dose price is the same for a small animal or a large animal....that is how they get you$$$!
Only buy the large dog size, it has enough in it to do like 6 cats, get it? ;)
The dosing syringe does not have a needle on it, easy to use. And the dark colored vial you store the med in helps to keep it fresh(no sunlight).

Some vets will give you the vial and syringe but everything is way cheaper on e-Bay or Sams club.

Bob,

Frontline and Advantage-Frontline didnít work this year, when in years gone by they have always worked.  I appreciate the links for savings.  I will reference those links for next year.

We had to get pills from the vet for the dogs and special drops for the kittens.  I just had my dog at the groomer today and had thought he had fleas because he was scratching himself.  The groomer said he doesnít have any fleas and only had dandruff.  I guess the pills are working, but the inside kittens still do have a couple fleas.  They donít go outside at all, so I am not really sure of where the fleas are coming from.

Norma