Author Topic: Re: Cat Pictures  (Read 8968 times)

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cat Pictures
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »
Fleas are great at hitchhiking a ride on anything that moves, and coming indoors with that animal. They can also jump a ridiculous distance.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
A few years ago our cat had fleas and she had never been outside, and we didn't have any other pets at the time either (other than fish, which I'm pretty sure didn't have fleas). So they must have came in on us, I guess.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
So you're saying that the Frontline for dogs is the same as for cats?! My vet said they were different. Was I being purposely lied to or maybe the vet didn't know any better? >:(

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

:o :P
Whoa there Nelly, let's not get carried away...  I've looked into this before, and here in summary is what I found out

Frontline Plus for Cats Formula

Frontline Plus for cats comes in a dosage size of 0.5 ml. The two active ingredients in Frontline Plus for Cats are fipronil, which makes up 9.8% of the medication, and S-methoprene, which makes up 11.8% of the medication. These numbers show that a dose of Frontline Plus for Cats contains 0.049 ml of fipronil and 0.059 ml of S-methoprene.

Frontline Plus for Dogs Formula

Frontline Plus for dogs comes in a dosage size of 0.67 ml. As with the formula for cats, there are two active ingredients in Frontline Plus for Dogs. The first active ingredient is fipronil, and it comprises 9.8% of this formula as well. However, the second active ingredient, S-methoprene, only makes up 8.8% of the formula for dogs. These numbers show that a dose of Frontline Plus for Dogs contains 0.0657 ml of fipronil and 0.059 ml of S-methoprene.

Sharing Formulas
In an effort to save money, some people have opted to purchase Frontline Plus for Dogs and use the doses on both their dogs and cats. This is a dangerous action to take. As noted in the formula breakdown, cats are only receiving 0.049 ml of fipronil when given a proper dose of Frontline Plus, while if they receive a dose meant for a dog, they are receiving 0.0657 ml, which is approximately 50% more than they should be receiving. Further to the higher dosage, cats are generally smaller than dogs as well. The increased dosage and smaller size of the animal compounds the dangers of using the wrong formula.

Price
Some websites, such as 1-800-PetMeds (1800petmeds.com) do not differentiate in price between dog and cat formulas. Other sites, such as Doctors Foster and Smith (drsfostersmith.com) do charge slightly more for the dog formula. The increased dosage size is a likely reason for the higher cost of the dog formula. While Meril, the makers of Frontline, will not sell their products directly, their website often has coupons to save money on Frontline products.

Related Searches
More to Explore
The Difference Between Frontline & Frontline Plus Advantix Vs. Frontline Plus
Carter Center Helps Eradicate Deadly Disease (Inspiyr.com) How to Kill Fleas In a Home Naturally (mom.me) What's this?
References
Frontline: FAQs
Doctors Foster and Smith: Frontline Plus for Dogs
Doctors Foster and Smith: Frontline Plus for Cats
Doctors Foster and Smith: Important Difference Between Dog and Cat Flea Products
1-800-PetMeds: Frontline
Photo Credit Janie Airey/Lifesize/Getty Images    Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images

Read more: Differences Between Frontline Plus for Cats & Dogs | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8319046_differences-frontline-plus-cats-dogs.html#ixzz27nzvieKs
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2012, 06:32:53 PM »
Neither of the dogs have fleas now, so I guess the cats special drops from the vets didn't work, even though the pills from the vets did work for the dogs.  What a confusing mess!  :-D

When we walk the dogs in high grass we can even see the fleas jump in the grass.  That is how bad fleas are in my area.  I guess we also could bring some in, or even the dogs could have them on them and give them to the kittens.  At least I am not getting bitten.    >:D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
Did you miss this in my post....http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/homesteading-questions/274012-advantage-frontline-dosage-weight.html

You don't give a cat the same size dose as a dog.You buy the largest size product for a large size dog (which cost's the same as the package you would buy for a small cat and only contains 4 ml product)......and dose it out at 4ml for a/each cat.

Don't know the site you quoted but I have a large dog single dose of Frontline Plus here in my hand. It contains .091 fl. oz....2.69ml. That will give you 6.75 cat doses.   The single dose 4ml pack for a cat costs the same as the single dose 2.69ml dog pack.

If you look closely at the formula numbers you put up you will see that the dog product actually has a bit LESS s-methoprene in it than the cat formula. Vets and chemical companies don't want you to be portioning out their overpriced medicine so you will always see people talking about how you are going to kill your cat.
And as I said, my cats are as healthy and happy as can be...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
And as I said, my cats are as healthy and happy as can be...

Pics or we will think your cats have something wrong with them...
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2012, 07:17:06 AM »

Pics or we will think your cats have something wrong with them...
   You and your silly photoshopping.  :chef:

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: Re: Cat Pictures
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »
God, Ruger got a bad batch of fleas from the little stray cat outside I'm pretty sure and they overrun our house completely. It took us a month with weekly bug bombing to get rid of them. They were even in my bed one night. It was hell, excuse the language. I almost hauled off the little stray at that point but I figured it wasn't her fault she had them.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
The outside kittens eating this morning.  They don't get any kind of special food.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »
Barkley and Gizmo sharing Barkely's pillow on the floor.  No more fleas.   ;D

Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »
Wish Ruger was that tame and calm around cats! He's insane. Guess I haven't exposed him enough to cats yet though. That white one with Gizmo is a good looking car, like the colors on its head.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »

Wish Ruger was that tame and calm around cats! He's insane. Guess I haven't exposed him enough to cats yet though.

Cory,

You never know how dogs and cats are going to do when you first introduce them.  Before a few months ago, Barkley also acted the same way as Ruger (he also went crazy when he saw cats) and was never alone with any cats.  We had kept the small baby kittens in a small bathroom and another room away from Barkley.  We were surprised that all Barkley did was nudge the kittens and lick them.  Once in a while he bumped them.  The kittens seemed to like that.  Now they are all buddies.

Norma

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
Crazy Carl, the other one is half wild, I only see her when she gets hungry.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »
Crazy Carl, the other one is half wild, I only see her when she gets hungry.
Unique an sweet!
Pretty too.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:22 PM »
I buy each of the kids a crabbit for Easter.  They just don't seem to stick around very long.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »
I buy each of the kids a crabbit for Easter.  They just don't seem to stick around very long.
You are a good father Gene...my dad never surprised me with no Crabbitt.... >:(

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2012, 06:37:38 AM »

Gene,

What the heck is a crabbit?  Don't think there is such a thing.   :-D

Norma

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »

What the heck is a crabbit? 

1/2 cat, 1/2 rabbit.  ;D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan