Author Topic: Proprer oven for commercial pizzeria  (Read 3347 times)

Offline ciro

• I Love Pizza!
Proprer oven for commercial pizzeria
« on: November 10, 2005, 09:31:10 PM »
I am considering opening a pizzeria to make authentic Neapolitan pizza. After reading through threads there are some very knowledgable people here and would like your advice on an oven.
Thank You,
Ciro

Offline Forno Napoletano

• The only oven choice to make Pizza Napoletana
    • Forno Napoletano- Wood Burning Brick Ovens
Re: Proprer oven for commercial pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 04:40:31 PM »
We produce both Traditional Neapolitan ovens built on site or a mobile version built on steel framed troley. We have also one troley model ready made, 120cm diameter which is ready to ship (decorations to be agreed).

Regards

Fabio

Offline ciro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 07:21:32 PM »
Interesting. what is lost with the mobile unit? Is it mobile for moving in and out of buildings. Also, contact info would help.
Thanks You,
Ciro

Offline Forno Napoletano

• The only oven choice to make Pizza Napoletana
    • Forno Napoletano- Wood Burning Brick Ovens
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 06:21:08 PM »
The site is:

www.forno-napoletano.com

Thanks

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 02:24:24 PM »
Depending on what state you are in you may have some issues with the local inspectors. After that you have to deal with the venting of the oven.  Some cities allow for a duct only where others want a grease hood.  Take it from me I have had ovens installed in every state in the US.  Some areas such as New York City, don't even want wood fire anymore.  The best thing to do is always check with your local inspector first.

-jp-
-JP-

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 08:23:33 PM »
I could not get away with a hand made oven in my pizzeria.   I asked the health inspector specifically about the hand made Napoli style ovens.  If I had bought one, I would not have passed health.  Luckily I have found a contact who can get me the listings I need to pass health inspections. While the oven I bought suprisingly produces a very authentic pizza (it was up to over 900 on the floor and 1000 up top last night), I am still going with a hand made one in my next pizzeria....probably two ovens.  Nothing compares.

Offline ciro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 11:05:12 PM »
Sumeri, what would be the exact reason for failing health? Also, how are you going to get around that for your next project?
Ciro

Offline sumeri

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 07:54:05 PM »
Ciro,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  We had a little soft opening the past few days so I've been living at the pizzeria.
The reason the hand made oven would not pass health in my county (clark county, nevada) is that they are strict on requiring every piece of equipment used in a commercial kitchen have either a; UL, NSF or ETL listing attached to it.  There are currently no oven makers in Napoli that go through the process of getting this listing. 
You can also get the oven and then go through the process yourself but it is very difficult and if it does not pass their certification then you are out the money you spent on the oven and shipping. 
You can also get one a risk that the health department won't check or won't care.  Again you are risking a lot of money if your health department does what mine said it would do, which is red tag the oven. 
There is always the chance that your health department do not have the strict standards that mine does.  I know there is a pizzeria in Seattle that has a hand made oven as well as New York and Pittsburgh.
If I had it to over again I would do whatever it takes to get the hand made oven.  While my prefab Morello oven is putting out very authentic pizzas, it is very difficult (but not impossible) to consistently get the balance that a good hand made oven gives you. 
Marco or forno-napoletano can probably explain it better, but the beauty of the hand made oven is the balance it provides between the ambient air temp, the floor temp and the flame.  If one of the three are out of balance you will not be able to put out a true Napoli style pizza, you will either burn the bottom of the pizza, or burn the cheese or not get a good rise out of your crust.  We have managed to find a good balance in our oven, but it is difficult.
Let me know if there is any other thing I can help you with.  I will come up for air again next Sunday, maybe I'll try and post a few photos of our margherita.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 07:57:21 PM by sumeri »