Author Topic: America's Test Kitchen Deep Dish Pizza recipe Vs Gregg's  (Read 5764 times)

Offline petef

Re: America's Test Kitchen Deep Dish Pizza recipe Vs Gregg's
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
Looks quite tasty there Pete, great work!
Are you allowing your dough to sit/proof awhile in the pan before going to bake?

PS...your pics look really well captured.

Thank you!  Normally when I make a pan style pizza I allow an hour for it to rise in the pan, but this one I didn't. Since I used ATK's technique of adding 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan, I had a hard time keeping the edges to stand up. Too much oil!  So I also parbaked it about 5 minutes at 450 deg F as Gregg's recipe called for. At about 2.5 minutes I took the pan out and used my fingers to prop up and form the edges. Next time I'll use less oil.

---pete---

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 10:44:38 AM »
Yes, that sounds good. A 'lil less oil and pinch it up in there tight and I think you'll really like the results.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 06:51:47 AM »
Yeah that last pizza really looks great! The crust is still a bit thick for what I've made and seen as a authentic Chicago style deep dish. It seems your pie looks like a really thick Pizza Hut pan style. You may wanna cut back on your dough ball weight or really mash it flat and trim the sides off one you get it high around the edge, although I wouldn't do that. I'd just lower my dough ball weight. Have you ever tried making one in a springform pan? I have one that is really tall and have had wonderful luck baking with it on top of my regular pizza stone.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

pizzapan