Author Topic: Caramelized onions  (Read 1858 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Caramelized onions
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:11:54 AM »
Does anybody out there have a favorite onion for caramelizing.   PFT's suggestion of the uglyripe tomato for fresh sauce has me wondering if there is an onion out there that is best for creating this yummy topping.   Vadalia ???  Shallots ???
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 02:13:34 AM by scott r »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Caramelized onions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 06:47:47 AM »
scott,

In Texas we have an onion that is called the 1015, which are grown in the Texas Rio Grande Valley and are apparently our answer to the Vidalias. See http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/recipes/onion2/lasso.html.

I have caramelized the 1015's and they are quite nice.

Peter

Offline robtfink

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Caramelized onions
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 09:02:21 AM »
The preeminence and seasonal novelty of Vidalias has been superseded by the demands of a broadening market for year round availability of sweet onion types, and they are now grown widely.  As Pete-zza has mentioned, the 1015 from Texas; the Walla Walla from Washington; Hawaiian Maui and Hula; Mexican varieties; and the Oso from Chile, now perhaps the principle winter season sweet for example. All carmelize well, easily; but I might suggest you may possibly find them to be actually too sweet. I've prepared French onion soup using sweets regrettably to find the taste so cloying as to be virtually inedible.

pizzapan