Author Topic: Do you autolyse?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Do you autolyse?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
Yeah, that seems to be the pronounciation that you see most often, but I have seen others, like this:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/autolyse?s=t

Don,

Yes, I have heard that one also. The word autolysis itself is of Greek origin.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Bob,

If you are thinking of cream of tartar as a substitute or alternative to an autolyse, I have never seen it touted as such. The only commercial producer of deep-dish pizzas that I aware of that uses cream of tartar is Gino's East, and they refer to the cream of tartar as a dough conditioner. If you would like to explore the cream of tartar issue further, you might want to start a new thread.

Peter
No, wasn't thinking in terms of autolyse. Did a BTB Deep Dish last night following an '09 post of JConk using a BTB recipe that included cream of tarter and I was just curious why it was being used. I did see that he later dropped it from his formula. I'll search cream of tarter today and learn about it.   Thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the feedback, threads, quotes and links etc...regarding my original question. I wasnt expecting so many replies. It looks like I have a lot of reading to do and some experimenting as well. I didnt even know what autolyse was/is until reading it in another thread and then going to the glossary to check it out. With this procedure, is there a certain % of flour and water to use or does one use all the flour and water, mix and let sit for X amount of hours before adding the yeast, salt, oil and sugar (if its being used) and then continue with fermentation?

Thanks again!
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
As far as the difference. My technical explanation would be... appears to be a lighter more fluffy open texture and the dough appears a little more moist? sorry best I can do. I wish my tongue could write !  I don't think there would be any negative impact on the dough if this is not done ?? but  I don't plan to find out ? maybe some day or next big party day. I will do 2  side by side batches but I have to make around 40 doughballs so I just hate to play with that much product  but my guess is its negligible. I talked to Larry ZaMan who added this process and said he noticed a difference maybe he can give his version of different?
John
CB heres the DD ! Man you made me HUNGRY ! as far as cream of tartar no Idea? just followed the recipe :) ( and loved it !) think it was explained somewhere at some point in those 35 pages ?  so monkey see monkey do
Hmnn Mobile Deep dish ??  ??? 
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline ogdred

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
I have been gradually increasing the autolyse period, and I have lately been let it do its thing for a full hour before the knead. As I am hand kneading, I find it easy to work with higher hydration doughs, as the initial flour is very well highdrated, and everything stays dry as you knead the additional flour in.

I would say the difference is noticeable for same day doughs, where I ferment for at minimum 4 or 5 hours. I am not sure how much of a difference it makes for longer cold fermented doughs. It seems to work for me, and I like the feel of the kneading better this way.

I have stopped adding oil to my crusts, as I haven't found it as easy to knead in with the dry ingredients. My understanding is that it shouldn't be added before the autolyse, so it is easier just to leave it out...

pizzapan