Author Topic: If you dont have IDY, is there a way to substitute ADY in a recipe?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Giggliato

Re: If you dont have IDY, is there a way to substitute ADY in a recipe?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »
Well I just meant as with all of biology we just aren't quite sure what exactly is going on.

Do you think that the yeast culture develops a collective brain as it grows inside the doughball? I do.

Offline atom

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 10:22:57 AM »
Well I just meant as with all of biology we just aren't quite sure what exactly is going on.

Do you think that the yeast culture develops a collective brain as it grows inside the doughball? I do.

It is very well known. The yeast consumes sugars and gives off wastes. Co2, alcohol, and other byproducts.  I do not believe it to be intelligent nor to be creating tools or languages. Interesting theory though.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 10:45:24 AM »
Yes but why does the yeast consume sugar? Anyway here's a wiki article on microbial intelligence, we have always been barely scratching the surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbial_intelligence

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:49:54 AM »
My experience (and I learned a big lesson) is that dumping ADY directly into the ingredients gave me a vastly different result than proofing it vs IDY directly in.  I started my pizza making with ADY not knowing that there was IDY.  I always followed the soak method until I noted people saying just dump the yeast in and that proofing wasn't needed.  I then struggled with oddly flat and dense dough for about a month thinking I was screwing something up but the only thing I had really changed was not proofing the ADY first.  I then learned that there was IDY and that was what people were talking about!  I have not looked back.

This was true blind (dumbass) testing with the same brand of IDY and ADY.

I used to get yeast and I can't recall if it was ADY or IDY and proof it in warm water until I learned on Alton Brown's "Good Eats" that I didn't have to do that with IDY and stopped doing that.

So you use IDY now and just dump it in, correct? Do you put it in the flour and dump the flour in the water or do you put the IDY in the water then put the flour in? Or do you use a different procedure?  Thanks.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »
So you use IDY now and just dump it in, correct? Do you put it in the flour and dump the flour in the water or do you put the IDY in the water then put the flour in? Or do you use a different procedure?  Thanks.

James,

This is the advice from Tom Lehmann: Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21801.msg220619/topicseen.html#msg220619, and Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16360.msg160246/topicseen.html#msg160246. As you can see, the answer depends on whether you will be kneading the dough by hand and/or the duration of the knead.

Peter