Author Topic: Pacific Living Gas Fired Pizza Oven  (Read 9643 times)

Offline mfcura

Pacific Living Gas Fired Pizza Oven
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:43:38 PM »
I have been searching for a gas fired pizza oven, at a reasonable cost.  Does anyone have any experience with the Pacific Living Oven?  Any other suggestions for a backyard gas fired oven would also be greatly appreciated!
Here is the Pacific Living Oven link:
http://www.pacificlivinginc.com/pizza-oven.html

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: Pacific Living Gas Fired Pizza Oven
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
I didn't see how hot those get anywhere on their site. Can they get significantly higher than a standard home oven's 550 degrees?
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »
I didn't see how hot those get anywhere on their site. Can they get significantly higher than a standard home oven's 550 degrees?

they have temperature report at http://www.pacificlivinginc.com/PDF/PL8430SSBG070%20temperature%20testing%20report%202012.pdf

Pretty expensive...
Bert,

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »
they have temperature report at http://www.pacificlivinginc.com/PDF/PL8430SSBG070%20temperature%20testing%20report%202012.pdf

Pretty expensive...

Not very balanced and the important #, right in the center is only 580.
"With style and ease the Pacific Living outdoor pizza oven takes grilling and barbecuing to another level of excitement."   ::)
I'm leery of talk like that, especially when they don't really talk about the construction of the unit. The main body, sides and arched ceiling, should be touting in the ad that it is all insulated "to better hold in the heat my dear..."   :chef:
The amount of stainless used to construct that GRILL in no way comes close to demanding that $1500.00 price tag.

Since The Mighty Pizza Oven is not yet available (see MPO member above ;) ) I would rec. a 2-Stone pizza insert and a quality well known/proven gas grill.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:51:47 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
I admire their chutzpah in putting up such detailed data.  Anyone above beginner level would look at this information and keep shopping.  As Bob noted, it's not very balanced.  At all.

I'll add to that by calling it woefully underpowered at 16500 BTU's.  It's hard to see how they could expect anyone to be satisfied with this product.   Does it come with a return policy? 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
 Does it come with a return policy? 
Why sure young fella.....but good luck wit dat!  8)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 12:35:25 AM »
Check out this one.

http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-infern2.html

My 2 burner propane camp stove puts out 30k per burner

I just purchased a 2stone and will heat with 60k BTU.

Willard is an honest guy.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »
Check out this one.

http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-infern2.html

My 2 burner propane camp stove puts out 30k per burner

I just purchased a 2stone and will heat with 60k BTU.

Willard is an honest guy.

Mark
That is a really good idea Mark, using a camp stove. Nice portable unit you have there now. Good luck with it and look forward to seeing your bakes. I'll bet you'll do well with the 60k btu's you have.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
My portable grill has 4 burners 12500 btu each. Been operating MPO on 2 burners.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20639.0.html

Bert,

Offline mfcura

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Guys, Thanks for all the input.  I'm think I may go for the 2stone pizza grill insert.  Seems like the most reasonable approach.

Offline rjthegreek

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »
I am new to the outdoor pizza cooking but I do have one of these Pacific Living outdoor gas pizza ovens and I LOVE it. I was not sure how well it would work when I bought it and was very pleasantly surprised. I love it because it is far more than a pizza oven. It cooks pizza great and can easily do 2 at a time. We have had several parties and our friends love it too. I have found that I can also bake, roast and cook any oven food outside now... I joined this blog to get new recipes to try in my oven and I found this string. I HIGHLY recommend this oven and question the other commenters on if they have ever used one before...Good luck with your pizza oven purchase whatever you decide.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 10:05:59 AM »
It's nice to have a differing opinion and a firsthand account, so that the topic can be more fully explored.  Do you have pictures of the oven in use and of its results?  Would really like to see proof of its operation instead of making conjectures based on builder's data. 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
I am new to the outdoor pizza cooking but I do have one of these Pacific Living outdoor gas pizza ovens and I LOVE it. I was not sure how well it would work when I bought it and was very pleasantly surprised. I love it because it is far more than a pizza oven. It cooks pizza great and can easily do 2 at a time. We have had several parties and our friends love it too. I have found that I can also bake, roast and cook any oven food outside now... I joined this blog to get new recipes to try in my oven and I found this string. I HIGHLY recommend this oven and question the other commenters on if they have ever used one before...Good luck with your pizza oven purchase whatever you decide.
rj,
Your post sorta reads like something from a brochure, hmmm.....
Anyway,there's no need to question whether or not I have ever cooked on one of these "outdoor ovens". I've been doing this long enough to know by looking at it that I never will... :chef:

Offline rjthegreek

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
Wow. Maybe I joined the wrong on line community. All I did was look for a place to find out new and cool stuff about outdoor pizza cooking and instead I got a lot of trash talk. Thanks for the nice reception, I appreciate it.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
Wow. Maybe I joined the wrong on line community. All I did was look for a place to find out new and cool stuff about outdoor pizza cooking and instead I got a lot of trash talk. Thanks for the nice reception, I appreciate it.

You're welcome!  Now please further this discussion by posting some pictures.  Thanks in advance.  Have a nice day!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 01:51:15 PM »
rj,
I think maybe you are being a little overly sensitive here.
You threw up posts so fast touting this "outdoor oven" I never had a chance to properly welome you.

Welcome aboard rjthegreek!  :chef:
Bob

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »
Since rjthegreek did not start this thread, I think he should be treated like any other new member who joins the board, with respect and without suspicion. I have learned that our members are very good at sniffing out shills and spammers. Also, as a Moderator, I always can delete posts that later turned out to be spam.

Peter

Offline rjthegreek

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »
Thanks Peter,
I appreciate it and thanks to Bob also. I will get some photos up this weekend..
Thanks again and have a great day.

scott123

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
A $1,500 oven with less BTUs (16K) than any sub $100 grill. RJ, don't waste your time posting photos. The math is clear on this.  Less BTUs = Longer pre-heats = longer bake times.  It's a pretty oven, but no one here would ever spend $1,500 on an oven that can't bake a pizza faster than 10 minutes, since any grill can match or better that bake time, right out of the box, at a fraction of the price.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 05:17:25 PM »
It cooks pizza great and can easily do 2 at a time. We have had several parties and our friends love it too.
Now that's some funny chit right there Bo...... ;D