Author Topic: Pacific Living Gas Fired Pizza Oven  (Read 8904 times)

enter8

Re: Pacific Living Gas Fired Pizza Oven
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 06:25:48 PM »
A $1,500 oven with less BTUs (16K) than any sub $100 grill. RJ, don't waste your time posting photos. The math is clear on this.  Less BTUs = Longer pre-heats = longer bake times.  It's a pretty oven, but no one here would ever spend $1,500 on an oven that can't bake a pizza faster than 10 minutes, since any grill can match or better that bake time, right out of the box, at a fraction of the price.

The original poster was calling for others who had experience with the grill. So why are you telling RJ (who HAS experience with this grill) what they should or should not waste their time posting?  I, for one, would be interested to see what they have achieved on this oven/grill.

If you have some experience with this product, then I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear about it.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
It cooks pizza great and can easily do 2 at a time.

Two little tiny pizzas or on two stones at different levels?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »
 I, for one, would be interested to see what they have achieved on this oven/grill.

enter8,
Oh man...jus when I was beginning to build up some confidence in you...you enter this.  :'(
I have a coffee pot that gets hotter than this gizmo dude.  ;D
But what the heck...I'd like to see some pics too. We have to wait till this weekend though.  ::)
Bob
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:01:23 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 07:29:17 PM »
So why are you telling RJ (who HAS experience with this grill) what they should or should not waste their time posting?

Enter8, are you really that unaware of the impact that BTUs have on baking? This is not rocket science here.  More BTUs = good. Less BTUs = bad.  16K is nothing.  It's like putting a 2 cylinder engine in a $100K car.  Sure, the car might be gorgeous, but who wants to go from 0 to 60 in 3 minutes?

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »
who wants to go from 0 to 60 in 3 minutes?

Hey... careful there, Scott. I drive a Prius!  :-D
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 10:40:47 AM »
Valid point, Barry, no matter how humorous your intention. 

What is the quantifiable difference in actual results between :
1. A supercharged 2.3L v6 pulling a 1,100 lb car
2. A 350 hp v8 pulling a 2,500 lb car?  Hmm?

There may be other factors at work besides simple heat input.  I feel it would be a mistake to dismiss or discourage further exploration, since we have an actual owner of the PLGFPO to question.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 01:12:33 PM »
I feel that for the asking price, any person who has not purchased one may be better suited to search for a used countertop model which come in either propane or natural gas (bakers pride, vulcan, comstock castle to name a few) that can be had at a very reasonable price, mount it to a properly sized SS table on caster wheels and you have a very well built and very well suited "slightly portable?" oven that will outperform any of these types...for many years. That's just my opinion though, I may be wrong.

Anthony
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline scott123

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »
There may be other factors at work besides simple heat input.

There's no 'supercharging' equivalent with an outdoor grill.  No free lunch.  While a convection fan can, to an extent, 'supercharge' an indoor oven, it's still contingent on BTUs, and due to the fact that this oven uses no electricity, it's obvious there's no fan in this system.

Other factors can improve the way an oven performs, such as dome height and deflection/disruption, but those factors are not in play here. This is a tall ceiling-ed propane grill with a hinged front door.  Nothing more, nothing less. There's no voodoo that will ever make this 16K grill act like a 40K+ grill.

enter8

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
@scott123

No one was questioning your BTU "analysis".

The original poster made a request for members to share any experiences they had with the Pacific Living Gas Fired Pizza Oven. Just because you say something won't work doesn't mean others can't investigate it for themselves

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »
 ;D
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPvkzFJhnk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPvkzFJhnk</a>

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
Check out this one.

http://www.2stonepg.com/2stone-infern2.html

My 2 burner propane camp stove puts out 30k per burner

I just purchased a 2stone and will heat with 60k BTU.

Willard is an honest guy.

Mark

I'd be interested in his 2stone wood fired pizza oven... looks nice it makes a nice pizza!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline rjthegreek

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
Wow fellas. All I wanted to do was comment on an outdoor pizza oven that I have and use regularly and offer an answer to the guy who started this post. I didn't realize I was getting into a big BTU discussion. I own a Pacific Living outdoor pizza oven and I love it. Sorry you guys don't think it works well. Cook on it, then call me a liar. This is my first "experience" in an online blog and I'm not sure that I will try another one. I thought this would be a good forum to learn some stuff. I guess I was wrong. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I hope you don't do this to all new people who join.
RJ..........out!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »
Wow fellas. All I wanted to do was comment on an outdoor pizza oven that I have and use regularly and offer an answer to the guy who started this post. I didn't realize I was getting into a big BTU discussion. I own a Pacific Living outdoor pizza oven and I love it. Sorry you guys don't think it works well. Cook on it, then call me a liar. This is my first "experience" in an online blog and I'm not sure that I will try another one. I thought this would be a good forum to learn some stuff. I guess I was wrong. Thanks again for the warm welcome. I hope you don't do this to all new people who join.
RJ..........out!

rj,
You crack me up with your 'Lil Red Riding Hood story.  ;D  I really hope you stick around dude, you sound like you could be a lot of fun!
Please realize that in no way did anyone try to make you out as a liar. Calm down and please read back over the thread....this site has some extremely talented experienced people and maybe that can be a bit intimidating to some folks. But believe me, it is knowledgeable advice and it is free....and the best part about it is you are always free to jus turn the page bruddah....so please stick around.
Bob

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
Second the above.  Please continue this discussion.  I was really hoping for pictures.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 07:42:35 AM »
This is all very unfortunate but it could have easily been avoided simply by treating rjthegreek with the respect he deserved. Rude and intemperate remarks can be hurtful, and they have consequences. Moreover, this kind of behavior can have consequences that go far beyond the loss of a single member. Other members and guests may read the thread and decide not to join the forum or to leave if they are already are members because they don't like what they see. If left unchecked, this does not bode well for the forum.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »
This is all very unfortunate but it could have easily been avoided simply by treating rjthegreek with the respect he deserved. Rude and intemperate remarks can be hurtful, and they have consequences. Moreover, this kind of behavior can have consequences that go far beyond the loss of a single member. Other members and guests may read the thread and decide not to join the forum or to leave if they are already are members because they don't like what they see. If left unchecked, this does not bode well for the forum.

Peter

+1
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline scott123

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
This is all very unfortunate but it could have easily been avoided simply by treating rjthegreek with the respect he deserved.

Peter, please provide an example of a post that was disrespectful towards RJ.  RJ loves this grill. My experience with thermodynamics tells me unequivocally that this grill is garbage.  The focus has been on the grill, not RJ. If RJ wishes to perceive my hatred for this product as hatred for him, then he is completely off the mark.

I love curry.  When I meet people that hate curries, I don't treat it like a personal insult.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
Peter, please provide an example of a post that was disrespectful towards RJ.  RJ loves this grill. My experience with thermodynamics tells me unequivocally that this grill is garbage.  The focus has been on the grill, not RJ. If RJ wishes to perceive my hatred for this product as hatred for him, then he is completely off the mark.

I love curry.  When I meet people that hate curries, I don't treat it like a personal insult.

scott123,

I will send you a PM rather than use this thread to cite chapter and verse. I was also thinking of other threads and even other members when I posted in Reply 34. But what I will say here is that it is perfectly appropriate to state facts. But how the facts are presented is just as important, and arguably even more important, than the facts themselves. If someone is put on the defensive or insulted or made to feel inferior, stupid or lacking in some way, they will most likely ignore or not accept the facts anyway. All they will see and remember is the personal affront.

I also have the benefit as a Moderator of seeing all of the RTMs (Reports to Moderators), the Ignores and requests by members to have their accounts closed. In several cases, we lost some very good members because they felt that they were mistreated by others. We have also lost some members who, rather than asking that their accounts be closed, just left the forum. As a free and open, not-for-profit resource, this forum depends on getting and keeping good members. It is from these members that the forum gets Supporting Members to help pay the bills, which are no longer insubstantial now that the forum has grown so fast and much larger. If not enough people become Supporting Members or they leave or don't renew their subscriptions because they are not happy with the the way the forum is going, then cost recovery becomes a real problem. It also means having to run a tight ship.   

Peter

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
My $1 bet is on thread lock in 2 more posts (regarding the oven not the bet).

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »
Let's just cut to the chase..pictures of  :pizza: out of the grill.

I'm sure anyone who makes the effort to purchase a product solely for the purpose of making pizza wouldn't be satisfied with subpar results, so perhaps they really are some tasty looking pies. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.