Author Topic: I am going to experiment with less yeast, longer fermentation.....  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Re: I am going to experiment with less yeast, longer fermentation.....
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
thezaman, thanks for your input.  The video course that I have ordered from Italy is by this gentleman:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_raG7JS78" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_raG7JS78</a>

I checked Antonino Esposito site, but I only saw courses given at his location in Italy.  It would be great to get a DVD from one of the masters where all the secrets are unveiled....... I know, I know, that will never happen, but I can only wish......

I am going to try the 8 hr dough like you described, I actually like stretching the dough like they show from the pizzaioli in Naples.  The longer fermentation methods I have used produce a very soft and delicate dough, but why don't you ever see the pizzeria in Naples make dough like that?

All advice welcome.....
Paolo

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:07 AM »
I just started playing with longer room temperature ferments and posted my first set of results here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20275.msg214609.html#msg214609

still got a few more experiments to go, but it was a good start!
i'm excited to see your future results. let the dough show you the way!  :chef:
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
Paolo,

I agree with Larry that 87 hours is too long to ferment the dough, even if most of that time the temperature is only 55 degrees F. I think that your dough overfermented. When I normalized my numbers to fit your fermentation scenario, the results indicated that you were using about 1.38 times the amount of yeast that I used, on a normalized basis. The higher amount of yeast will accelerate the fermentation process. What usually happens when a dough is fermented too long is that the protease enzymes in the flour attack the gluten and weaken and degrade it. In the process, water is released from its chemical bond and results in a wet and clammy dough that does not make for a good end product. If you were using a round dough storage bowl container like a Rubbermaid or Glad type container, I think you would have observed a rise in the dough because the sides of the container would have contained the dough ball more than in an open DoughMate pizza tray. That was the reason why I asked you what you were using to store the dough balls during fermentation.

I do not believe that the 3% salt was responsible for your results. We have a few members who use around 3% salt, without incident.

Peter

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 12:33:01 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
I have learned so much in this site and I still have so much more to learn.....

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate your knowledge.......
Paolo

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »
 da michele's uses no refrigeration in their dough. in the US keste's uses no refrigeration.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
I forgot to mention that tomorrow night I will be at Bruno's in SD where Omid will create one of his famous pizzas for me

and then he will mentor me on short fermentation dough techniques..... I can't wait.....I truly feel lucky.....

P.S. Larry, (thezaman) I just wanted to make it public that I am extremely grateful for what you did offline...... hats off to you man!

Well, this is a great forum, where a newby like myself can come and learn from the masters who are willing to share all they know without asking for
anything in return......I wish I can return the favor back one day......

I love PizzaMaking.com!
Paolo

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »
I forgot to mention that tomorrow night I will be at Bruno's in SD where Omid will create one of his famous pizzas for me. . . .

Dear Paolo, it was great seeing you again. By the way, Pizzeria Bruno (i.e., Mr. Peter), not me, should be credited with the title "famous pizzas". I am just an employee there, trying my earnest to serve the best interest of the pizzeria. Have a safe trip back home!

Regards,
Omid
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 01:02:01 AM »
What method do you guys use to change you temp settings? 

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
Dear Paolo, it was great seeing you again. By the way, Pizzeria Bruno (i.e., Mr. Peter), not me, should be credited with the title "famous pizzas". I am just an employee there, trying my earnest to serve the best interest of the pizzeria. Have a safe trip back home!

Regards,
Omid

Omid, it was wonderful seeing you again!  The pizza was outstanding and your knowledge on the subject is profound.

Till next time....
Paolo

pizzapan