Author Topic: Hungry Howie's Ingredient Specifics For a Clone.  (Read 3249 times)

Offline pjbear05

Hungry Howie's Ingredient Specifics For a Clone.
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
Karen's (wife) latest fave is the old standby from back home in the Detroit area-that is, when I'm not making one of my epic Detroit Style monsters.  I have to confess, the pie is kicking PH, PJ's. LC's, and D-Mo's behind, as well as that of most of the local yokels.

Anybody have any ideas on a Howie's clone? ???  The nutrition information on the Company website was deliberately vague, so I'm hoping the board gang here, especially my homeys back in the 313 can drop some hints. 

Thanx in advance, everyone! :chef:   
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Hungry Howie's Ingredient Specifics For a Clone.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »
I have hit a couple Hungry Howies in South Georgia.  I did no recon, but maybe someone else has.  It is always good to be able to impress the (wife).
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:27:45 AM »
I wish I could say the same thing about the one that is local to me. When they started out the product was pretty good, but it's went downhill ever since. The calzones are still amazing for a chain product, but the pizza is somewhere in between Little Caesars and Pap John's. I still support them though because the guy's that own it are awesome, and you can't beat a $5.55 since it trumps Little Caesars so much. 
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Michael48220

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
Did you see the ingredients page? http://hungryhowies.com/nutrition/ingredients 

I thought this was a pretty decent starting point. I'm in the Detroit area and RIGHT by a pretty consistent Howie's location. I can swing by and look for ingredient packages and talk to the staff. Is there a specific pizza you're looking to replicate?

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
Well they are definitely using bromated flour, that's one thing you can start sourcing out in your attempt to recreate it.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 10:44:18 AM »
I wish I could say the same thing about the one that is local to me. When they started out the product was pretty good, but it's went downhill ever since. The calzones are still amazing for a chain product, but the pizza is somewhere in between Little Caesars and Pap John's. I still support them though because the guy's that own it are awesome, and you can't beat a $5.55 since it trumps Little Caesars so much. 
What do you want for 5 bucks.....Bianco's ?   :'(

Wish we had a Hungry Howies....I even like the name!  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline The Slice

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:00:28 PM »
They use msg in the sauce. They aren't listing it but its definetly there. Also, what is "sale"? Its listed as a sauce ingredient.
I think Howies pizza is pretty good but I actually think its pretty dangerous. Its got some serious nasty in it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:02:14 PM by The Slice »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
They use msg in the sauce. They aren't listing it but its definetly there. Also, what is "sale"? Its listed as a sauce ingredient.

Since MSG is a controversial ingredient, the FDA requires that it be disclosed if used. As for "sale", I'm certain that salt was intended but was misspelled.

Peter

Offline La Sera

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 01:23:07 AM »
MSG is a demonized product. It's made from sugar cane molasses.

There is not a single study, research or test showing any causal relationship between MSG any symptom. There will always be a small group of people allergic to almost all foods, but there has yet to be a correlation shown between MSG and any symptom or health risk.

Every time a double-blind test is done, the people claiming to suffer any symptoms are in the placebo group.

If you wanted to list the two most prevalent food myths, they would probably be:

1. MSG is bad for you and people get headaches (or insert your symptom here) from eating food containing it.

2. Soybean oil and non-fermented soy is healthy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Fermented soy (soy sauce, natto, teriyaki sauce, etc.) has health benefits. Chinese people knew hundreds of years ago that it was inedible, and only fermented tofu was eaten.

Soybean is inedible, period. It isn't even fed to animals.

There are numerous clinical studies showing increased risks of breast cancer, Alzheimer's and digestive tract problems with non-fermented soy. An infant drinking soy milk is consuming an amount of estrogen equivalent of 5 birth-control pills per day.

The soybean industry, and Monsanto in particular for their Genetically Modified soybean that now comprises about 90% of the market, have maneuvered humans into consuming soybeans over the past few decades because they could not market it even as animal feed, because

it

is

inedible.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »
Whoa..now hold on here a minute. I agree with the MSG thing....they could only get rats to die after a 1000% overdose.
Soy sauce is inedible....?
I buy the "good" stuff and it improves the 'lil bit of Asian cooking I do. Back in the day(early 70's) the drag strip(hot rod cars) were known for mixing soy beans into the ground beef. It was prolly kinda nasty tasting by today's standards...dunno....boy they sure were good , cheap 'lil funky burgers though man...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline La Sera

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 10:12:19 AM »
Fermented soy products are fine. Soy sauce is fermented.

Non-fermented things like raw soybeans, soybean oil, soy "milk" products and non-fermented tofu are the bad stuff.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »

As written, this statement is completely false. Perhaps you meant to write that raw soybeans are toxic to humans and some animals? That would be a true statement.

Cattle can eat raw soybeans with no problems. Defatted soybean is a very common animal food for chickens, pigs, and cattle..
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
There are numerous clinical studies showing increased risks of breast cancer, Alzheimer's and digestive tract problems with non-fermented soy. An infant drinking soy milk is consuming an amount of estrogen equivalent of 5 birth-control pills per day.

This is also a grossly misleading if not a completely false statement. At best, the scientific evidence is inconclusive. There are conflicting studies, however I don't know of any meta-analysis that have concluded anything remotely close to what you clam. Rather, they have as far as I know, concluded the opposite or that there is not enough information available.1 Others have shown reduction in certain cancers such as prostrate in men and colorectal in women and a reduction in recurrence and lower morbidity in breast cancer.2

Further, soy milk contains zero estrogen (5 birth-control pills per day? - If you read it on the internet, it has to be true, right?) It contains phytoestrogens which can mildly mimic estrogen. However, there is no conclusive scientific evidence of any ill effects on humans, and multiple studies have shown no adverse effects in humans as a result of consuming soy-based infant formula compared cow's milk based formula.3

References

1 Messina, M.; McCaskill-Stevens, W.; Lampe, J. W. (September 2006). "Addressing the Soy and Breast Cancer Relationship: Review, Commentary, and Workshop Proceedings". JNCI Journal of the National Cancer Institute (National Cancer Institute) 98 (18): 12751284. doi:10.1093/jnci/djj356. PMID 16985246.

Hamilton-Reeves, Jill M.; Vazquez, Gabriela; Duval, Sue J.; Phipps, William R.; Kurzer, Mindy S.; Messina, Mark J. (2010). "Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: Results of a meta-analysis". Fertility and Sterility 94 (3): 9971007. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.04.038. PMID 19524224.

2 "Soy". University of Maryland Medical Center. Retrieved February 18, 2012.

Shu, X. O.; Zheng, Y.; Cai, H.; Gu, K.; Chen, Z.; Zheng, W.; Lu, W. (2009). "Soy Food Intake and Breast Cancer Survival". JAMA: the Journal of the American Medical Association (American Medical Association) 302 (22): 24372443. doi:10.1001/jama.2009.1783. PMC 2874068. PMID 19996398.

Yang, G.; Shu, X. O.; Chow, W. H.; Cai, H.; Li, H.; Zhang, X.; Gao, Y. T.; Zheng, W. (February 2009). "Prospective Cohort Study of Soy Food Intake and Colorectal Cancer Risk in Women". American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (American Society for Nutrition) 89 (2): 577583. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2008.26742. PMID 19073792.

3 Strom BL, Schinnar R, Ziegler EE, Barnhart KT, Sammel MD, Macones GA, Stallings VA, Drulis JM, Nelson SE, Hanson SA (August 2001). "Exposure to soy-based formula in infancy and endocrinological and reproductive outcomes in young adulthood". JAMA 286 (7): 807814. doi:10.1001/jama.286.7.807. PMID 11497534.

Giampietro PG, Bruno G, Furcolo G, Casati A, Brunetti E, Spadoni GL, Galli E (February 2004). "Soy protein formulas in children: no hormonal effects in long-term feeding". J. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Metab. 17 (2): 191196. doi:10.1515/JPEM.2004.17.2.191. PMID 15055353.

Merritt RJ, Jenks BH (May 2004). "Safety of soy-based infant formulas containing isoflavones: the clinical evidence". J. Nutr. 134 (5): 1220S1224S. PMID 15113975.

Haffejee IE (February 1990). "Cow's milk-based formula, human milk, and soya feeds in acute infantile diarrhea: a therapeutic trial". J. Pediatr. Gastroenterol. Nutr. 10 (2): 193198. doi:10.1097/00005176-199002000-00009. PMID 2406406.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline La Sera

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »
The first reference was written by a consultant to soy product manufacturers and president of a soy product company. The others I looked at were funded by the soy industry and written by people compensated by the soy industry, but I didn't have time to look at all of them.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »
The first reference was written by a consultant to soy product manufacturers and president of a soy product company. The others I looked at were funded by the soy industry and written by people compensated by the soy industry, but I didn't have time to look at all of them.

The fact is that everything you wrote about soybeans is flat out false. If you think I'm wrong, let's see something to back up your conjecture.

Inedible? - false

5 birth control pills/day? - false and just plan ridiculous internet garbage

Established links to anything you claim? - false.

What is your gripe with soy that you would make this stuff up or pass along this drivel?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
MSG is a demonized product. It's made from sugar cane molasses.

There is not a single study, research or test showing any causal relationship between MSG any symptom. There will always be a small group of people allergic to almost all foods, but there has yet to be a correlation shown between MSG and any symptom or health risk.

Every time a double-blind test is done, the people claiming to suffer any symptoms are in the placebo group.

If you wanted to list the two most prevalent food myths, they would probably be:

1. MSG is bad for you and people get headaches (or insert your symptom here) from eating food containing it.

2. Soybean oil and non-fermented soy is healthy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Fermented soy (soy sauce, natto, teriyaki sauce, etc.) has health benefits. Chinese people knew hundreds of years ago that it was inedible, and only fermented tofu was eaten.

The soybean industry, and Monsanto in particular for their Genetically Modified soybean that now comprises about 90% of the market, have maneuvered humans into consuming soybeans over the past few decades because they could not market it even as animal feed, because

it

is

inedible.
Check out Excitotoxins-The Taste That Kills by Russell Blaylock, MD (neurologist), re MSG, (and aspartame, too.)
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"