Author Topic: Psst! Wanna Buy Some Mozzarella? U.S. Cheese Being Smuggled Into Canada  (Read 1188 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Psst! Wanna Buy Some Mozzarella? U.S. Cheese Being Smuggled Into Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »
Drat, was hoping cheese was cheaper in Canada.  Why would it be 3x US costs?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
Drat, was hoping cheese was cheaper in Canada.  Why would it be 3x US costs?

I'd tell you, but doing so would probably violate the rule against discussing politics. Hopefully it's OK to post a link...

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/food/2011/11/20/mystery-behind-high-canadian-cheese-prices-revealed
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:44 AM »
One of the Moderators over at the PMQ Think Tank, who goes by the handle of Daddio, is a Canadian and writes from time to time about Canadian mozzarella cheese prices. Examples of his posts can be seen at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=13104#p13104 and at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=66875#p66875. Craig is correct. Politics is a big factor.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:09:18 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:45:17 AM »
I read both links, thanks guys.  Had no idea how Canada structured its internal food production economy.  I'm not sure I would call it politics, seems more a matter of economics.  Still very important information for anyone involved in the food industry in any way.

BTW, I love this sig the one guy on PMQ has: "The opinions in this post are the sole property of J_r0kk. Any re-broadcast of this post without expressed written consent of J_r0kk will result in a charge of 2 cents, because thats all this information is worth."

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
seems more a matter of economics. 

It is a price set artifically without regard to supply or demand. Why do you say it has more to do with economics?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:20:59 PM »
Obviously, Canada doesn't have the best farming conditions.  Short growing season, bitter cold, etc.  It makes sense that some powerful lobby for the farmers got a set of blanket import tariffs passed in order to smooth out the seasonal gap between them and say, Kansas.  Then, over time, they were free to raise their own prices.  It's definitely not a good situation, but it's hard to remedy after such a system becomes entrenched, short of subsidizing their own citizen's food purchases. 

Economically speaking, it's similar to a smaller downstream agrarian society in a larger water-monopoly system.  Only real difference in this case is that the coin is fecundity instead of water.   Without impartial balancing and distribution, great inequities arise.  Right, Texas?  ;)   

NOT getting into politics here.  Just supply, demand and the consequence when you open up the local market to larger suppliers.