Author Topic: Restaurant Depot Cheeses  (Read 1824 times)

Offline rparker

Restaurant Depot Cheeses
« on: October 06, 2015, 02:49:07 PM »
I got my Restaurant Depot membership yesterday. I saw lots of cheese. Too many to choose from, but I did. I remembered some discussion around these parts that Stella by Saputo made a decent Mozz/Prov mix, so I got a bag of it. I forgot the price, but I think it was under $3.00 per lb. I also read that the once proud brand called "Polly-O" had a food-service blocks that were supposed to be much better. I got a block of that, too. Whole Milk, Low Moisture @ $2.86lb on sale. 

I also got a wedge of Zeneti Grana Padano and a wedge of Bel Gioioso Parmasen. Both were reasonably priced, but have forgotten what each were. I think the parm as something like $5.49. I left the receipt in my wife's car and can get it later if anyone wants specifics.

I'm open to suggestions on other brands that RD carries. I'll need some Peccorino next time I go.

They also had big blocks of Sorrento. Anyone know if these are like other brands and have a better product in the big block food service package than the retail version? There was a brand called "Supremo Italiano" with a few varieties or options. 

Online tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Re: Restaurant Depot Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
I usually get the Saputo and have been happy with that. I've seen the Supremo there but haven't ever bought it.  Let us know how you like the Polly-O. I don't buy it anymore.  I used to buy the 1lb. retail version but it is just too watery for my taste, not to mention expensive. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
Forget the "Supremo Italiano". It's mediocre at best. I've tried that one before and the outcome was not good. Bland, crappy melt and too much browning to almost the point of burning.

Like Tinroof suggested, try the Saputo or the F&A Gold.
Mike

Offline rparker

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 05:11:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

I've tried the Saputo gold from Penn Mac and really enjoyed it. I still have a few chunks of it left. That's obviously too expensive of a way to get it. If this Stella is anywhere close, I'll be very pleased. Perhaps I'll try the block of WMLM I saw. They did not have any straight Saputo gold there.

I don't remember if they had the F&A brand there, but I'll look on the next trip.

I saw your thread on the Supremo Italiano, Mike, but there was no outcome.

Tinroofrusted, I'll be sure to post back on the big block of Polly-O.

Offline caymus

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:45:38 PM »
Your RD has a larger selection than mine.  I can only get blocks of Sorrento, Saputo and Supremo Italiano in WM LM version.  The block Polly-o they have is smoked.  I think Supremo is the store brand

You can check the inventory online from the RD website.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
Saputo Premium Gold runs about $2.60/lb at my local RD.  It's the best whole milk low moisture mozz that my local store sells.  The Sorrento may be worth investigating if the price is reasonable.    The other varieties of cheeses look interesting but they're often really large pieces.     
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »
I liked the Sorrento and the smoked Poly-O.  Not that keen on the regular Poly-O or the Supremo Italiano.  My RD also has 5# bags of Wisconsin Premium 3/4 inch diced white cheddar, that I use in my cheese mix.  Mine also has Stella and Sargento which I have yet to try.

Offline GlobalTJB

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
i purchased the 5 pound block of sorrento mozzarella last week and will report back.  The price for the block was 2.08/lb.  We used it or polly-o growing up for lasagna, chicken parm, ravioli.   I usually buy the prov/mozz shredded mix and use it in ravioli stuffing and for ny style pizzas with great success. 

Offline rparker

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
I'd love to see the Saputo Premium Gold at the RD.

I have a feeling the Polly-O may not be there next time. It as on sale. They had a surplus. The guy that was back there doing stuff in the cheese section and I chatted for a bit before he got called away. He saw the cheeses I had and said something to the effect of, "that's a really good cheese, but it just isn't moving here..." and was the reason it was on sale. I wanted to mention the Saputo Gold before he got called away. 

I'm looking forward to hearing if there was any difference from the retail vs big blocks of the Sorrento.

The Stella had too much of what I assume is that caking agent thing mixed in. I could easily sense it in the texture when I tested a bit. My wife could taste it as well. I'm hoping it bakes better. I've gotten similar bags from Penn Mac (Grande and Wisconsin 50/50 mixes) and neither had this much. 

I'm going to try my food processor out for doing some shredding on the hard cheeses. Either way, shredded or whole, I can keep chunks of it in the freezer just fine. I would not want to get anything bigger than what I got, though, which did limit my choices some. 

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 10:56:55 AM »
I need to get out to the RD in Pitt soon to see is they carry the saputo gold.  The ones in IL did not.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline rparker

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 02:14:48 PM »
I need to get out to the RD in Pitt soon to see is they carry the saputo gold.  The ones in IL did not.
At least in Pittsburgh you're near Penn Mac. The prices are quite high compared to wholesale, though, even without the shipping costs.
http://www.pennmac.com/items/5092//

Offline rparker

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 02:38:40 PM »
I used the Polly-O on pie today with about 10-15% cheddar. I did a pretty bad bake today. It was time. I was due.  I used more sauce than normal, but not an all-time high. I do this sometimes when testing out oven-spring strength on an experiment. The top was a soupy mess of cheese, pepperoni and sauce juices that became one. As much as I like my cheese/sauce boil thing, this was too much.

Texture aside, I did find the overall taste to be OK. I'm trying again a couple days from now and will use a lot less sauce and pepperoni.

This pic is about an hour after bake, 1/2 of that in the fridge.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »
At least in Pittsburgh you're near Penn Mac. The prices are quite high compared to wholesale, though, even without the shipping costs.
http://www.pennmac.com/items/5092//

All food is higher out here.  Sucks really.  Salami is like $9/lb.  Pretty rediculous.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:37:51 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Zing

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »

I'm looking forward to hearing if there was any difference from the retail vs big blocks of the Sorrento.

The retail Sorrento/Galbani or whatever Lactalis is calling that mozzarella these days is a higher moisture cheese than the big blocks of Sorrento. There are many discussions of that low moisture Sorrento on here. However, for baked ziti I prefer the retail version, especially like right now when one supermarket chain has it on sale for $1.99 a pound.

Offline rparker

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 01:11:16 PM »
OK, so this Polly-O cheese ain't so horrible, but I don't think I'll buy it again. The moisture content does not go well with my bakes. I reduced sauce and pepperoni by maybe 40%. Also, due to an error on my part, I ended up mixing in some Baccio. Maybe 70% Polly-O and 30% Baccio.

The result was a much more agreeable baked texture, but was still a bit on the greasy side of things. Longer bakes and minimizing moisture content in toppings does make this a usable cheese. An example of Ziti previously used would be a good application. Probably the no-boil Lasagna noodles, too, as they can be moisture hogs.

Taste-wise pre-bake: It definitely has that little touch of salt and a bit of strength in the flavor that many of the better pizza cheeses I've tried has. Post-bake was similar, which I noticed a little bit of yesterday. Obviously today's is invalid due to the blend I had to go with due to putting the wrong container in the freezer.

This may be an answer for folks who are fighting problems with cheese drying out too much at bake.

The retail Sorrento/Galbani or whatever Lactalis is calling that mozzarella these days is a higher moisture cheese than the big blocks of Sorrento. There are many discussions of that low moisture Sorrento on here. However, for baked ziti I prefer the retail version, especially like right now when one supermarket chain has it on sale for $1.99 a pound.
Thanks, Zing. I had seen your analysis about the Polly-O brand(s) being like that, but had not dug deeply at all on the Sorrento. Mostly because I had no access to big blocks until recently, but also because the store version was already my go to "emergency" cheese regardless of what I found out about it.

btw, I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts on cheeses. Always seems to be good info. Thanks!

wordpress