Author Topic: Which Mozzarella for New York Pizza  (Read 1282 times)

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
Which Mozzarella for New York Pizza
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:27:35 AM »
https://www.metro.de/cat/de/products/category/Mozzarella/Mozzarella?pageSize=12&viewType=0&activePage=1&catTsr=exp

I searched in the forum which brand of mozzarella you guys use for new york pizza in the states. Unfortunately we dont have grande mozzarella over here. Here is the link from the big supermarket near me. Could you guys please help me choosing the right cheese? I used a few brand of mozzarella but they got burnt before the pizza is ready or left much fat on the pizza. I bake with my home ofen at 572° F

Online jkb

Re: Which Mozzarella for New York Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 06:05:24 AM »
You want low moisture cow's milk cheese.  I would try this one:

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »
https://www.metro.de/cat/de/products/category/Mozzarella/Mozzarella?pageSize=12&viewType=0&activePage=1&catTsr=exp

I searched in the forum which brand of mozzarella you guys use for new york pizza in the states. Unfortunately we dont have grande mozzarella over here. Here is the link from the big supermarket near me. Could you guys please help me choosing the right cheese? I used a few brand of mozzarella but they got burnt before the pizza is ready or left much fat on the pizza. I bake with my home ofen at 572° F

Metro is Germany's equivalent to Costco over here. If you're not certain which specific mozzarella to use, I'd ask the floor manager regarding the appropriate type. Like JKB already pointed out, the diced or "gewuerfelte" version might work just very well for you and the price is a good one, too.

I used to go to the Metro location in Muelheim, NRW.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »
Thank you jkb and Essen1

Essen i think there are 2 kind of italien pizza. First one is neapolitan pizza baked at over 900 °F topped with fior di latte or mozzarella di buffalo. The second one is thin crust italian pizza which baked at 300-350°. Personally i would prefer pizza napoletana over thin crust pizza any day but as you know neapolitan pizza is not popular over here and there are only a few of them here in Germany.
. I used mozzarella buffalo on my pizzas. After 6 min it melted away and the pizza was very watery. I used dry mozzarella from Milram. It burnt before the pizza was ready and it was very dry. What i want to ask you is ; What you think which brand of Mozzarella here in Germany close to the Grande mozzarella in the States?

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
Here is the Mozzarella Julienne which is used on pizzas in Rom Italy. I couldnt find this brand over here. The company has no web page

Online jkb

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 05:26:22 PM »
The one I referred to has the same percentage of fat as Grande and other brands popular for NY style (25g/100g serving).  That makes me think it's whole milk mozzarella.  Part-skim would have less fat and would be more likely to burn.  Do you know the fat content of the cheese you used?

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
The one I referred to has the same percentage of fat as Grande and other brands popular for NY style (25g/100g serving).  That makes me think it's whole milk mozzarella.  Part-skim would have less fat and would be more likely to burn.  Do you know the fat content of the cheese you used?

Jkb. Thank you again. I will definitely give it a try

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »
Thank you jkb and Essen1

Essen i think there are 2 kind of italien pizza. First one is neapolitan pizza baked at over 900 °F topped with fior di latte or mozzarella di buffalo. The second one is thin crust italian pizza which baked at 300-350°. Personally i would prefer pizza napoletana over thin crust pizza any day but as you know neapolitan pizza is not popular over here and there are only a few of them here in Germany.
. I used mozzarella buffalo on my pizzas. After 6 min it melted away and the pizza was very watery. I used dry mozzarella from Milram. It burnt before the pizza was ready and it was very dry. What i want to ask you is ; What you think which brand of Mozzarella here in Germany close to the Grande mozzarella in the States?

PD,

Fresh Mozzarella, such as fior di latte or buffalo, have a very high moisture content. Not very good for pizza baked in home ovens but excellent in wood-burning ovens. What you need is a low-moisture whole milk mozzarella such as this one from Goldsteig:

http://www.goldsteig.de/de/produkte/mozzarella/mozzarella-schnittfest.html

Forget the Milram cheese. See if you can find the Goldsteig 45% F.i.Tr. in retail shops such as EDEKA, Lidl, Metro Cash & Carry, Tengelmann or ReWe. Italian Delicatessen stores would be another source, I can imagine.

The easiest thing to do would be to ask Goldsteig directly by sending them an e-mail or calling them and asking about their retail level mozzarella and where you can find it in your area.

Viel Glueck und sag mal Bescheid was Du rausfindest.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 07:04:58 PM »
PD,

I just found this:

http://www.wer-zu-wem.de/firma/goldsteig.html

Unter Ofengold vertreibt das Unternehmen dabei cremigen Käse für das Aufbacken im Ofen. Verkauft werden die Erzeugnisse von Goldsteig über den Lebensmitteleinzelhandel in der gesamten Europäischen Union sowie einigen Drittländern. Die Marken, unter denen sie in die Regale gelangen, sind Goldsteig, Cammino D'Oro und Almbua.

Basically it says that the Goldsteig Company sells their cheeses under their own name as well as under Cammino D'Oro and Almbua on the retail level (Einzelhandel).

Mike

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
Guys, here is the last decision choosing the right pizza cheese

1- https://www.metro.de/cat/de/products/product/113770001001/Horeca-Select-Mozzarella-45-%25-gew%C3%BCrfelt-1-kg-Beutel;jsessionid=8F5F2FEDC18FD76779CDF60AF3A2FFD1.mcc1shopp20

2- http://www.goldsteig.de/de/produkte/mozzarella/mozzarella-block.html

3- https://www.milram.de/produkte/181-milram-mozzarella-40-fett-i.html

the first one is pretty expensive cause its already diced. There is no block version of it
second and third is not diced, its block mozzarella.  Which one would you choose?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:47:25 PM by Pete-zza »

Online jkb

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
I would avoid the third one.  Based on the fat content, it's probably part-skim.  Hard to tell for sure, but the second one appears to be low-moisture whole milk.  I'd go for that one.

Offline pizzadaheim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »
Thank you very much jkb!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
Go with the Goldsteig.
Mike

pizzapan